5D Mk III Firmware, any news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Rienzphotoz said:
RLPhoto said:
Never need to upgrade.
Until the next one comes along ;D

;D yes, and that one hopefully will do ISO 51200 kinda like ISO 12.800 or16.000 on my current 5D3!
No, seriously, no need to upgrade till the overnext new 5D body. Hope my insane high ISO dream comes true.
But having read these threads about sensor tech by the experts here in the forum, I know it takes a while to get there...maybe the wait will be forever. Cheers, Pedro

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Welcome everyone, I am a long time reader of CR, but never posted before. Been shooting photography since my dad first let me use his old AE-1 decades back. Though I haven't been as active as I used to as I've taken up another hobby (Triathlon) which is just as expensive, if not more so, my triathlon bike was $4K. Training for Ironman is a huge commitment of time that rarely lets in other activities. However, from time to time I do some action shots of my friends during a training ride while hanging out the back of a pickup truck. I've never been happy with the AF of the 5D2. So, with a nice return from Uncle Sam I order the 5D3 last week. It just came in yesterday, but I didn't get to play with but for 5 minutes last night. I have to admit that the shutter noise really is different from the 5D2 and had me looking if something was broken or loose, but all seems well. Last thing I looked at was the firmware, so that I could download a newer version if available. Low and behold, the camera shows that it has 1.2.0! Now, mind you it was nearly 1 in the morning when I was doing this, so I may have misread it. But I'll double check when I get home this evening and post a pic if it really is. I didn't know that we've been stuck at 1.1.3 since last year. I don't have an extender, so I can't verify the f/8 deal. But I can tell you that the focus points are still black, although they flashes red when the AF beeps that focus has been attained. Don't know if this is normal or not. If anyone has any question, I'll be happy to check tonight, if I am able to.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

joe_bmed said:
It is 1.2.0! Can anyone tell me if the current AF points turn red at all with firmware 1.1.3? Curiously, going to Canons website for 5D3 firmware download, I didn't see the 1.1.3 firmware for download on all the OS (Mac or Windows) choices.
Hmm, this is intriguing. Would be a shame though if the focus points aren't fixed.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Upvote 0
If I recall correctly, canon announced the AF visibility issue may not be fixable in the 5D3 due to the way it meters. The 1DX meters differently somehow and could possibly be fixed in that model. I wouldn't hold your breath that it will show up in 1.2.

Hobby Shooter said:
joe_bmed said:
It is 1.2.0! Can anyone tell me if the current AF points turn red at all with firmware 1.1.3? Curiously, going to Canons website for 5D3 firmware download, I didn't see the 1.1.3 firmware for download on all the OS (Mac or Windows) choices.
Hmm, this is intriguing. Would be a shame though if the focus points aren't fixed.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

East Wind Photography said:
If I recall correctly, canon announced the AF visibility issue may not be fixable in the 5D3 due to the way it meters. The 1DX meters differently somehow and could possibly be fixed in that model. I wouldn't hold your breath that it will show up in 1.2.

Hobby Shooter said:
joe_bmed said:
Now when you say it I think I recall thr same thing. Well it's a very good camera anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.