5D3: First high ISO samples

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highest ISO shot at was 6400 among those samples. Not sure if we can conclude that not having an AF-illuminator is okay. I was surprised to notice that not only does the 5D3 not have one...the 1D-X does not nor do the Nikon D3 series and D4 cameras. WHY?? Am I missing something? I thought AF-Illumination was vital to shooting in low light and would be essential in cameras touting great native ISO range.

Upvote 0
BDD said:
The highest ISO shot at was 6400 among those samples. Not sure if we can conclude that not having an AF-illuminator is okay. I was surprised to notice that not only does the 5D3 not have one...the 1D-X does not nor do the Nikon D3 series and D4 cameras. WHY?? Am I missing something? I thought AF-Illumination was vital to shooting in low light and would be essential in cameras touting great native ISO range.

Its so Canon can sell you one of their new $600 flashes to do it instead. Granted you could just buy one of their older, smaller flashes too.

Upvote 0
Of the sample photos there was only one shot at 6400. Don't think I noticed another photo shot at a ISO higher. The 5D3 has no AF-illumination (nor does the 1D-X, Nikon D3s/D4...just the D800). Is it not necessary in hi-end DSLRs today? I don't think the R&D guys at Canon or Nikon would omit the AF-Illum if they thought it was needed for low light shooting...especially, in their flagship models touting great native ISO range. Am I missing something? Are their metering system so advanced?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.