5D4 Sensor Defect Discovered

Mar 2, 2012
LSXPhotog said:
Well first off, I'd like to say that about 90% of the posts made in this thread miss the point of why made this topic.

Probably. I surely did.

LSXPhotog said:
The fact of the matter is this: I've never seen any digital camera I've ever owned (all CMOS) that have exhibited this sort of strange 'bleeding' to adjacent pixels.

Was this ever explained? I don't have any desire to read the entire thread.

Puzzling 1DX Mark II Sensor Issue?

Here's a random unqualified idea: Given on-sensor ADC, could it like like rolling shutter (sensor moves relative to subject during readout), but of such low intensity that you don't see it unless you deconstruct the file?

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
I think this whole thread would have been different if the OP had presented it more like, "look at this, never seen something like this before, any idea what could be causing it?", more like the way Michael the Maven did in his similar post, instead of "this is a defect, I'm going to return the camera".

On the other hand, the fact that the OP presented it as a defect doesn't require other respondents to completely dismiss the issue, regardless of how unlikely it may be for someone to see it in real world shooting.

This isn't Trump vs. Clinton; why do people have to make so many exaggerated and extreme statements and get so belligerent?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
gruhl28 said:
I think this whole thread would have been different if the OP had presented it more like, "look at this, never seen something like this before, any idea what could be causing it?", more like the way Michael the Maven did in his similar post, instead of "this is a defect, I'm going to return the camera".

On the other hand, the fact that the OP presented it as a defect doesn't require other respondents to completely dismiss the issue, regardless of how unlikely it may be for someone to see it in real world shooting.

This isn't Trump vs. Clinton; why do people have to make so many exaggerated and extreme statements and get so belligerent?
Everybody wants to be an a-hole online because no one can punch them in the face at the moment of a-holeness.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
romanr74 said:
privatebydesign said:
ritholtz said:
tron said:
Although roman's comment borderlined with trolling I do not believe it was intentional. I see he has many specialized/top Canon lenses in his signature. More than many fanboys. So it is just the fear of new. I have ordered a 5D4 and I too fear a little. NOT for the specs which I like a lot, NOT for what someone discovered at the limits of ... (mis)use but just on focusing. I will put it to very good test and when all is well I will put a 5D3 for sale so as to make the cost easier to swallow. But it was the same with my 5D2->5D3 transition. Finally I sold my 5D2 and enjoyed my 5D3 ALOT!
Roman has $10k worth of Canon stuff. More than Neuro I think.

Think again. He lists what he has and that includes a 600mm f4 IS MkII and a 1DX, combined over $10,000 for just those two.

Can you enlighten me on the relevance of this?

Can you explain your lack of obvious comprehension?

"Roman has $10k worth of Canon stuff. More than Neuro I think."

I was pointing out that that comment is incorrect. How is that difficult?

Now if you ask me what relevance either statement has to the OP then I gotta be honest and say I haven't a clue, but that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post was to correct an incorrect statement, the relevance of that incorrect statement is not my concern, my concern is that fallacies are not perpetuated.

For the full picture of Neuro's gear is here http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
privatebydesign said:
romanr74 said:
privatebydesign said:
ritholtz said:
tron said:
Although roman's comment borderlined with trolling I do not believe it was intentional. I see he has many specialized/top Canon lenses in his signature. More than many fanboys. So it is just the fear of new. I have ordered a 5D4 and I too fear a little. NOT for the specs which I like a lot, NOT for what someone discovered at the limits of ... (mis)use but just on focusing. I will put it to very good test and when all is well I will put a 5D3 for sale so as to make the cost easier to swallow. But it was the same with my 5D2->5D3 transition. Finally I sold my 5D2 and enjoyed my 5D3 ALOT!

Think again. He lists what he has and that includes a 600mm f4 IS MkII and a 1DX, combined over $10,000 for just those two.

Now if you ask me what relevance either statement has to the OP then I gotta be honest and say I haven't a clue, but that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post was to correct an incorrect statement, the relevance of that incorrect statement is not my concern, my concern is that fallacies are not perpetuated.

For the full picture of Neuro's gear is here http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging

can you guys explain the relevance of the value of the gear one is owning...?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
romanr74 said:

Well, it speaks to credibility. I have more gear than you, so I have more credibility than you. Bryan Carnathan (TDP) has more gear and thus credibility than me. LensRentals has oodles of credibility. Since the US Government likely has far more Canon gear than LensRentals, they have even more credibility. Ok, even I can't stomach that one. Or any of the rest of it. ;)

romanr74 said:
This is a noble cause...

Give me the sixty-five, I'm on the job. ;D

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:

Well, it speaks to credibility. I have more gear than you, so I have more credibility than you. Bryan Carnathan (TDP) has more gear and thus credibility than me. LensRentals has oodles of credibility. Since the US Government likely has far more Canon gear than LensRentals, they have even more credibility. Ok, even I can't stomach that one. Or any of the rest of it. ;)

Just placed a hell of an order at my local photo gear retailer...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
romanr74 said:
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:

Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck!

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:

Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck!

Iiifersuchtsbolze...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
romanr74 said:
privatebydesign said:
romanr74 said:
privatebydesign said:
ritholtz said:
tron said:

No. And I said I couldn't.

P.S. I get most of the Princess Bride comments but that one ws a new one for me, well done guys.........

Upvote 0