600L IS USM details?

Jul 21, 2010
Here are some actual measurements for the lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?LensComp=0&Lens=336&Units=E

Not sure about the case dimensions, but personally I would not travel with the lens in it's Canon case – the form-fitted insert means a lot of wasted space inside that case. The MkII fits into a Pelican Elite 22" Carry-on, I'd pack clothes around it for efficiency, with the rest of my photo gear in a backpack.

02%2520-%2520600%2520II%2520and%2520nested%2520cases.jpg

The MkI is only 0.38" longer, so it would fit in the same case. Case dimensions are in this post.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Happy new toy! Enjoy!

It is a bit of a lump but you are going to be very happy.

Make sure you have good support and after a (very) little time this lens will reward you with VERY nice images.

This is a little hobby horse of mine - but I do not like IS = EEK Heretic!!!!!

Seriously though to get the best from this lens you will need shutter speeds that are relatively fast and a lot faster if your subject is a twitchy little bird! So if your shutter speed is above 1/500 sec turn the IS off. This gives slightly faster and more accurate AF as well as giving a marked improvement in tracking moving subjects. Try it and see how it works out for you.

Again - very nice new toy - enjoy!

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Stewart K said:
Hi everyone,

I'm on the brink of buying this lens, but I wanted to know the overall dimensions of the flight case and total weight of the case with lens/hood/leather cap.
I can't find it anywhere on line, other than 5.39kg's for the lens alone, can anyone help?
Many thanks in advance.

Congrats! I am jealous.

scott

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
johnf3f said:
Happy new toy! Enjoy!

It is a bit of a lump but you are going to be very happy.

Make sure you have good support and after a (very) little time this lens will reward you with VERY nice images.

This is a little hobby horse of mine - but I do not like IS = EEK Heretic!!!!!

Seriously though to get the best from this lens you will need shutter speeds that are relatively fast and a lot faster if your subject is a twitchy little bird! So if your shutter speed is above 1/500 sec turn the IS off. This gives slightly faster and more accurate AF as well as giving a marked improvement in tracking moving subjects. Try it and see how it works out for you.

Again - very nice new toy - enjoy!

Many thanks for your comments, I really welcome good info from owners as this is a first for me!
I’ve just ordered some additional gear to cope with the weight too, as you have suggested.
I just bought a Benro Gimbal Head, a Benro LH400 mounting bracket and an L Plate, plus a camo tripod shoulder pad/carrier and a camo lens coat, they’ll arrive before the lens as my family will bring my lens when they visit at Easter, (tick tock) honest I am not an impatient person :-\

Upvote 0

rnl

Jun 22, 2016
Stewart K said:
I've just thought of something, will this size of lens and it's IS be more of a drain on batteries than the like of my existing 100-400L Mk1? Is a grip advisable on my 5DIII (my 70D is already gripped) to compensate?
That question just struck me now that I've ordered all that other gear!

I have the ii...and a 100-400ii and never noticed a big drain.
using it with a 1dxmkii.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Stewart K said:
I've just thought of something, will this size of lens and it's IS be more of a drain on batteries than the like of my existing 100-400L Mk1? Is a grip advisable on my 5DIII (my 70D is already gripped) to compensate?
That question just struck me now that I've ordered all that other gear!

If you look at the block diagrams, the IS units of the two lenses are similar in size.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
IS works by moving a small set of elements to correct the light paths, not by moving the whole lens internal structure.
I would think the drain from IS would be nothing compared to the power needed to autofocus and mover all the glass required - even then I have seen no comment that people get fewer shots with a 600mm than with a 100mm.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
neuroanatomist said:
Here are some actual measurements for the lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?LensComp=0&Lens=336&Units=E

Not sure about the case dimensions, but personally I would not travel with the lens in it's Canon case – the form-fitted insert means a lot of wasted space inside that case. The MkII fits into a Pelican Elite 22" Carry-on, I'd pack clothes around it for efficiency, with the rest of my photo gear in a backpack.

02%2520-%2520600%2520II%2520and%2520nested%2520cases.jpg

The MkI is only 0.38" longer, so it would fit in the same case. Case dimensions are in this post.

Plus electric fuchsia color helps make them stand out from the rest of the sea of black/charcoal gray carry-on's or checked luggage out there. Makes it way easier to see them in baggage claim (if you have to have gate-checked carry-on's), or if someone were to try to steal it.

Plus another side benefit: if you get that same color, when you and Neuro go through the same airport, hijinks can ensue from having two of the same bag with the same lens.

https://youtu.be/XaP-uRfBBdY?t=1m22s

Upvote 0

rnl

Jun 22, 2016
Mikehit said:
IS works by moving a small set of elements to correct the light paths, not by moving the whole lens internal structure.
I would think the drain from IS would be nothing compared to the power needed to autofocus and mover all the glass required - even then I have seen no comment that people get fewer shots with a 600mm than with a 100mm.

Frankly, power to the camera is not really a problem with a 1dxmkii...it has a massive battery. I've yet to exhaust it.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Stewart K said:
Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!
I think that there must be some sort of additional demands on the battery moving all those rather larger parts around inside the 600 version 1, I will report accordingly once I get the lens.

Thanks again everyone 8) ;)

When I first had my 600 F4 L IS I had 5D and a 50D cameras - they didn't seem to give up the ghost driving this lens! Admittedly I was using 3rd party batteries which were far better than the Canon BP511 packs but your 5D3 should be just fine. A local photographer is using a 6D on one of these lenses and getting all the shots he wants, though he does carry a single spare pack - just in case.

Upvote 0