60D vs 7D with FF in the near future:

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kuscali

It is not for the metal body but the 19cross type AF, on the 7D. Also I have seen hi iso results from the 7D and I have been quite impressed, so maybe after myself trying it for a month or two I will not need a Full Frame (but this is all theoretical), I have only briefly tried a 7D & 60D (loved both fit my hands so well controls nice). Maybe I might get the 60D and get the for the price difference Canon 100mm f/2.

Upvote 0
U

unruled

Kuscali said:
It is not for the metal body but the 19cross type AF, on the 7D. Also I have seen hi iso results from the 7D and I have been quite impressed, so maybe after myself trying it for a month or two I will not need a Full Frame (but this is all theoretical), I have only briefly tried a 7D & 60D (loved both fit my hands so well controls nice). Maybe I might get the 60D and get the for the price difference Canon 100mm f/2.

60d vs 7d comes down to a few things:
-ergonomic differences
-AF system differences
and a few other minor things such as VF coverage and burst speeds.

To me the 60d grip is too small (I currently own a 40d which is fine). I am also a huge fan of the jogdial/joystick, which the 60d does -not- have, instead it has a fiddly dpad.

I'd say, go and try both, see what feels more comfortable to you. That said, the 7d is the best crop camera on the canon side, so even if you go fullframe, it will be an awesome 2nd body.

Upvote 0
K

Kuscali

unruled said:
Kuscali said:

60d vs 7d comes down to a few things:
-ergonomic differences
-AF system differences
and a few other minor things such as VF coverage and burst speeds.

To me the 60d grip is too small (I currently own a 40d which is fine). I am also a huge fan of the jogdial/joystick, which the 60d does -not- have, instead it has a fiddly dpad.

I'd say, go and try both, see what feels more comfortable to you. That said, the 7d is the best crop camera on the canon side, so even if you go fullframe, it will be an awesome 2nd body.

The joystick can it be used to select the AF point (ala A700 what I am used too)? And how good are the AF points on the very far right and left I assume as they are cross types pretty effective?

Upvote 0
U

unruled

You can use the jogdial, the scroll wheel, or the joystick to select AF points.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/images/7d/7d-back-1200.jpg
vs
http://currentphotographer.com/wp-content/gallery/canon-eos-60d/canon-60d-back.jpg

My friend has the 60d and I struggled to use that new dpad thing effectively.

As far as I am aware, the 7d has the best canon AF system (2nd only to the 1d mk iv) so I would not worry about accuracy.

Upvote 0
Since your heart seems set on FF, here's my suggestion.

Forget the 7D and 60D, and go with the T2i plus whatever assortment of lenses you want for WA and standard (zoom). IQ has been shown to be relatively similar between the three and the differentiation is price and features.

Here's where it gets fun and needs some "'splaining". For your telephoto zoom, snag the EF-S 55-250. It really is a very good lens, and for the price:performance ratio, you'll be hard pressed to find something better. Once you go FF, keep the 55-250 attached to the T2i as your telephoto camera as the 1.6 crop factor (or whatever you want to call it) combined with the 250 range will give you double the reach of a 70-200 on a 5D mk ii or iii (400mm reach on T2i vs 200mm on 5d mk ___). And since you said you only use telephoto infrequently (I think you said 1% of the time), any lack of quality resulting from the lens won't be very important anyway, right?

Otherwise, I'd go with the 70-300 L over any of the 70-200's.

just my opinion :)

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Kuscali said:
Does the 60D have the function like the 5D MII (I know the 7D does not) where on live view the viewfinder is automatically shut? Something inside of me still says get the 7D.

My 5D MK II does not have any automatic shutter for the eyepiece, there is a external eyepiece cover you must put over it to block light. Same for 7D and all the Rebels.

For those cameras with liveview, the mirror comes up and blocks most of the light in the eyepiece, but for long exposure times, I'd still cover it.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2011
I still stand by my previous statement... if you don't want to invest too much into a camera right now because you want a 5D MKIII or whatever it is when it comes out, then find a lightly used 5D classic... Less than a grand. Again, this is if you're set on FF... Or also for less than 1g, you could go old school and grab a 1Ds:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800759073-USE/Canon_8068A020_EOS_1Ds_Digital_Camera_Camera.html

Canon refurbished 5DII's are 2g direct from canon (i bought one, it's flawless, I don't think it was ever used), 7D's are 1350.

Upvote 0
K

Kuscali

So I caved and today I bought a 7D. It is on sale at Henry's and I had Mcbain's price match (both Canadian, I live in Canada). I tested out on my Tamron 28-75mm, but encountered a slight problem. @28mm f/14 their is a blob, like the (pentax K-5 stains), but at 75mm f/14 no problem, is the lens or is it camera? I would hate to already have dust on the sensor only a few hours into ownership, but I doubt it as I cannot see anything when I zoom out. I have the say though, I am shocked from the results at ISo 3200.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Kuscali said:
Anyone dust on the wide, not on the tele? Is this sensor or lens?

Set a very small aperture, f16 or even smaller. Take a photo of the sky or a brightly lit white wall. You will be able to see dust on the sensor, there is always some there, its the big stuff that is objectional.

To see it directly, you need magnification, I have a 5X inspection microscope with a fiberoptic ring light, a very expensive professional model with a long focus distance. even then, its not always easy.

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
87vr6 said:
Canon refurbished 5DII's are 2g direct from canon (i bought one, it's flawless, I don't think it was ever used), 7D's are 1350.

Or $1599 with the 20% loyalty rebate. :)

See my quoted post from the rebate thread....

justsomedude said:
I would suggest you consider the Canon Loyalty Program. You can take any old broken Canon camera (even a Powershot), and trade it in to Canon for 20% off their factory refurbished bodies. That's right- ANY old Canon body (film or digital, cheap or expensive, just make sure it's 100% broken). With current pricing, that works out to $1,087 for a refurbished 7D, and $1,599 for a refurbished 5DMKII. Free 2 day shipping. Local taxes apply.

Discounted prices based on Canon Factory refurb. price list, here: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Also comes with 6 month warranty (rumors that this has been reduced to 90-days). As for locating a broken Canon Powershot, you can score one for a couple of dollars on eBay. Just make sure it is 100% BROKEN, with no functions whatsoever (if you are worried, just bang it with a hammer a few times). Then just call up Canon with the broken body in hand (you'll need the serial number), have your credit card ready, and you're good to go. 1-866-443-8002 (option 2). They'll ship you a box with prepaid shipping for returning your old camera, when your new one arrives.

Just something to consider to get some serious savings. On another forum I follow, one user scored a refurbed 5DMKII with only 32 shutter actuations.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
kuscali, I'll back up that one; I've got an old lens with an amazingly large piece of what looks like carpet fiber somehow caught between two of the lens elements -- it doesn't move when I move/rotate/mess with the lens. not sure how on earth it'd get in there; it's not a weathersealed lens but still, something that big, I've got no idea how it first worked into the casing and then from there migrated to between lens elements

Upvote 0
K

Kuscali

So I have to say I am impressed by the 7D, I thought I would get a marginal improvement at higher ISO's over the A700, but that is not that case, I am genuinely very impressed by the hi ISO performance of this camera, of course the AF is a whole different monster, I got myself thinking, I probably don't need the 5D mark III, the 7D will be technologically (AF, Image processor) ahead of the 5D, so I will stick to APS-C. So now I am thinking instead of the 11-16mm Tokina, 28-75mm Tamron, and some sort of tele. I am thinking about getting a Canon 15-85mm + 100mm f/2.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.