6D af tracking: experiences & usage cases

Nov 17, 2011
Martin said:
One think u can do for sure is to get rid of canon system and get nikon. One thing is sure for me. Nikon AF, despite faulty D800 units is way better in almost every aspect. I know what is 5D3 in specification list (61 points, many x type points etc.) but try it with one of the outer x type focus points or with center AF under bulbs or fluorescent light-BF or FF. Outer points with mojority of lens just do not wrok (FF) I have one 5d3 and test two other, different 5d3s-same thing. Reviews and other tests don't shot that. U still has one point in reality. I spent a lot time on testing, trust me or not. Tested different bodies with different lenses, spoke with other users. The new AF system is ok if u use it with center AF, under daylight, with lens adjusted to specific distance, and if the lens are 2.8, if u change one of those factors-it will just not hit the target. That's not the AF system I thought I had paid for. I know how it sounds but it is true, regardless all reviews. Same thing about 6D. AFMA and other service adjustments are useless when u change environment a bit. Check any 5d3 or 6d, LV vs phase detect, then do same test with other camera producer.

Interesting... ::)

I don't why I got MUCH-MUCH more keepers in AI servo with 5D III than 5D II. Must the photographer ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Martin said:
One think u can do for sure is to get rid of canon system and get nikon. One thing is sure for me. Nikon AF, despite faulty D800 units is way better in almost every aspect. I know what is 5D3 in specification list (61 points, many x type points etc.) but try it with one of the outer x type focus points or with center AF under bulbs or fluorescent light-BF or FF. Outer points with mojority of lens just do not wrok (FF) I have one 5d3 and test two other, different 5d3s-same thing. Reviews and other tests don't shot that. U still has one point in reality. I spent a lot time on testing, trust me or not. Tested different bodies with different lenses, spoke with other users. The new AF system is ok if u use it with center AF, under daylight, with lens adjusted to specific distance, and if the lens are 2.8, if u change one of those factors-it will just not hit the target. That's not the AF system I thought I had paid for. I know how it sounds but it is true, regardless all reviews. Same thing about 6D. AFMA and other service adjustments are useless when u change environment a bit. Check any 5d3 or 6d, LV vs phase detect, then do same test with other camera producer.

I don't why I got MUCH-MUCH more keepers in AI servo with 5D III than 5D II. Must the photographer ;D

"keepers rate"...ok...i am not talking about servo. I am talking about AF precision on all AF points, not about servo at long distance with more DOF and probably stopped lenses. Take 16-35 and check outer points with tripod and well lit target at close distance. Take 135L, adjust it for daylight and than go under different light (fluorescent or bulb). With 70-200 L at daylight, at 40 meters, at f3,5 shooting speeding cyclist-I had also a "higher keeper rate than with 5d2" but that's not a revolutionary AF.Old canons users did one funny thing-compare everything to 5d2 as a reference and even now, with 5d3-recompose. I am not a brand lover, I switch system 2 years ago (5d2, then 5d3) but I just regret due to AF. I used to use all AF points before, in D300 and it worked precisely for studio works, even when points were not x-type. Let me say I am kind of experienced user so it's not about skills etc. Just want to share it. No offence, I know you love canon, I tried for two years:) thinking that maybe I had a bad copies. No, i did not. It is only my subjective opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Martin said:
Dylan777 said:
Martin said:

"keepers rate"...ok...i am not talking about servo. I am talking about AF precision on all AF points, not about servo at long distance with more DOF and probably stopped lenses. Take 16-35 and check outer points with tripod and well lit target at close distance. Take 135L, adjust it for daylight and than go under different light (fluorescent or bulb). With 70-200 L at daylight, at 40 meters, at f3,5 shooting speeding cyclist-I had also a "higher keeper rate than with 5d2" but that's not a revolutionary AF.Old canons users did one funny thing-compare everything to 5d2 as a reference and even now, with 5d3-recompose. I am not a brand lover, I switch system 2 years ago (5d2, then 5d3) but I just regret due to AF. I used to use all AF points before, in D300 and it worked precisely for studio works, even when points were not x-type. Let me say I am kind of experienced user so it's not about skills etc. Just want to share it. No offence, I know you love canon, I tried for two years:) thinking that maybe I had a bad copies. No, i did not. It is only my subjective opinion.

Do shift to Nikon by all means. Most good photographers who do this for a living change systems as and when it suits them. Andy Rouse changed to Canon basically for the autofocus performance of the 1DX. Art Morris on the other hand, shoots Canon through and through - I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

So much for your "subjective opinion" - a highly biased and trollish opinion if anything.

Upvote 0
Any time I've tried to get fast action (not often), the outer points are pretty much useless. The center point worked great and always focused on what I aimed it at (which was not always what I wanted in focus :p). I'm not seeing any method which can improve AI Servo with outer points. I'm starting to get the impression that the 6D wasn't designed for sports ;D

Upvote 0
captainkanji said:
Any time I've tried to get fast action (not often), the outer points are pretty much useless. The center point worked great and always focused on what I aimed it at (which was not always what I wanted in focus :p). I'm not seeing any method which can improve AI Servo with outer points. I'm starting to get the impression that the 6D wasn't designed for sports ;D
It makes lousy coffee too as it was not designed for that either...the 6D has never been promoted as a sports camera although experienced photographers can get decent sports shots ( Jared Polin for one) the 6D is a fine camera for the price, unfortunately at the price point it has a lot of unskilled amatuers have got their hands on it and tend to moan...' Oh but it doesn't have a built in flash'

Upvote 0
Janbo Makimbo said:
captainkanji said:
It makes lousy coffee too as it was not designed for that either...the 6D has never been promoted as a sports camera although experienced photographers can get decent sports shots ( Jared Polin for one) the 6D is a fine camera for the price, unfortunately at the price point it has a lot of unskilled amatuers have got their hands on it and tend to moan...' Oh but it doesn't have a built in flash'

+1. 6D on the onset didn't even pretend it's a sports camera or an event camera. It is marketed as an "entry-level" fullframe. It's like the "rebel" of the full frames. Given that, there are many professional users of this camera due to its IQ per price consideration. It might be even better than 5D3 and the highly touted 1DX in some areas arguably. I think its primary weakness is that given its price, we will always compare it to D600 and D610 thus the expectations. If its price is below D610/D600 however, I'd presume that no one will complain.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Janbo Makimbo said:
the 6D is a fine camera for the price, unfortunately at the price point it has a lot of unskilled amatuers have got their hands on it and tend to moan...' Oh but it doesn't have a built in flash'

Yeah, that's probably it - unskilled amateurs also naively tend to try to use the Canon menu af options (focus prio/accel/...) and orientation-linked af point and don't realize that these options make very little sense with the 6d's tracking or outer af point performance :p

verysimplejason said:
I think its primary weakness is that given its price, we will always compare it to D600 and D610 thus the expectations. If its price is below D610/D600 however, I'd presume that no one will complain.

That's the point - it isn't, the 6d was more expensive for most of the time and now they cost about the same - the new Nikon d610 is priced a bit above the 6d (about €1700) while the discontinued d600 was and is cheaper (about €1500).

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
verysimplejason said:
mmmm... you got it reversed... D600. not 600D. ;D

Yes, but I imagine the Nikon Management would prefer if People were to remain confused and continued to call it a Canon 600D, or a Sanyo 600D, rather than what it was, a huge Marketing and PR disaster, there can't be too many instances where a Major Camera Manufacturer is forced to bring out a completely New/But the Same, Camera Body, just to fix the issues that they designed into the Original.

And Nikon did all that without the usual Japanese Apology for foisting a complete disaster of a camera onto the Market, no recall, just 6 months later quietly put out the D610, only difference ?? The shutter mechanism doesn't do a daily Oil change onto your Sensor.

And I know someone will jump on this, I realise Canon have had issues over the years with elements of the design etc, but I don't recall Canon having had to release a new Body same spec within 6 months just to fix what seemed to be un fixable. I was one of the 1DsMkiii owners so I have some experience with recalls and fixes, most recently the 1Dx focus mechanism lubrication issue, all fixed, I still use these Cameras today, well the 1DsMkiii I no longer bother with as the 5DMK III does pretty well everything better.

Ok, that's Friday done with.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
verysimplejason said:
Sporgon said:
Pitty all those ill informed people who have bought the 6D instead of the 600/610/620/630D then ::)

The market determines which is best, so.............

If photographic retainers figures are to believed the 6D is well ahead of the 600D.

mmmm... you got it reversed... D600. not 600D. ;D

;D. Duh !!

The DF is a much better name for people like me ;)

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Sporgon said:

Hardly, given sufficient suppliy the market is the result of demand (= what the people buy), not what is best quality item for a price because there are a lot of other factors at play, even in a transparent market - which it usually isn't thanks to marketing :-o

For dslrs that would be existing equipment (learning loss and loss of selling and re-buying lenses), brand attachment and 3rd party enhancements, namely Magic Lantern. Add all these and Canon can very well sell an inferior product at a higher price while Nikon simply selling cheaper might not do them any good. There is also the "snob effect" which means a higher product produces more demand because it has to be better, right :p

Disclaimer: ilovemy6dandthisthreadwasaboutfindingoptimalsettingsandiwontswitchtonikonever.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
eml58 said:
And Nikon did all that without the usual Japanese Apology for foisting a complete disaster of a camera onto the Market, no recall, just 6 months later quietly put out the D610, only difference ?? The shutter mechanism doesn't do a daily Oil change onto your Sensor.

Oh so you didn't hear about the significant upgrade that the Nikonians were craving??? 6 fps vs. 5.5 fps :p :p :p

Nikon's official response to people asking about why the D610 was necessary is "The D610 was released in order to respond as quickly as possible to the demand for a faster continuous shooting rate and the addition of a quiet continuous shutter release mode. The shutter in the D610 has been improved so that it supports an increase in the continuous shooting rate from 5.5 fps in the D600 to 6 fps in the D610."

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
J.R. said:
Nikon's official response to people asking about why the D610 was necessary is "The D610 was released in order to respond as quickly as possible to the demand for a faster continuous shooting rate and the addition of a quiet continuous shutter release mode. The shutter in the D610 has been improved so that it supports an increase in the continuous shooting rate from 5.5 fps in the D600 to 6 fps in the D610."

Oh, well, that explains it perfectly.

Missed all that, Thanks, I think.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Marsu42 said:
Sporgon said:

Hardly, given sufficient suppliy the market is the result of demand (= what the people buy), not what is best quality item for a price because there are a lot of other factors at play, even in a transparent market - which it usually isn't thanks to marketing :-o

For dslrs that would be existing equipment (learning loss and loss of selling and re-buying lenses), brand attachment and 3rd party enhancements, namely Magic Lantern. Add all these and Canon can very well sell an inferior product at a higher price while Nikon simply selling cheaper might not do them any good. There is also the "snob effect" which means a higher product produces more demand because it has to be better, right :p

Disclaimer: ilovemy6dandthisthreadwasaboutfindingoptimalsettingsandiwontswitchtonikonever.

I know this is getting a little off topic, but to continue:

From my own personal point of view I came across more D600 adverts than I did 6D, but I think it is really quite simple. To the average Joe who wants to upgrade to FF and doesn't have commitment to a system the 6D is simply more aesthetically pleasing than the D600/610. It's as simple as that. Also Nikon seem to fail to understand that fore mentioned Joe sees a camera without pop up flash as much more 'professional' than one with it.

I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again. If I were Mr Nikon I would get hold of Mr Canon's chief EOS designer, stick a big wad of cash in this hand and say "HELP".

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Sporgon said:
Marsu42 said:
Sporgon said:

I know this is getting a little off topic, but to continue:

From my own personal point of view I came across more D600 adverts than I did 6D, but I think it is really quite simple. To the average Joe who wants to upgrade to FF and doesn't have commitment to a system the 6D is simply more aesthetically pleasing than the D600/610. It's as simple as that. Also Nikon seem to fail to understand that fore mentioned Joe sees a camera without pop up flash as much more 'professional' than one with it.

Canon actually sells a lot more APS-C cameras than Nikon and hence has more visibility (in human hands) for the average Joe. I really doubt how many buy a 6D as their first DSLR - It is more often than not an upgrade for the APS-C users. Advertising can help only so much in luring a Canon APS-C user to jump to Nikon and start afresh with the entire system.

Upvote 0