How to customize R6 "AE Lock" or "AF Point selection" buttons?

Greetings,

Several months ago someone posted a helpful tip on the procedure to customize the AE lock (*) or AF point selection buttons.

I did so and it was big help to me. However I recently sent my R6 to Canon for routine cleaning/service and they reset the camera to factory default settings.

What I am trying to do is to customize one of those buttons (AE lock/AF point selection) so that it toggles between ONLY 2 AF modes: Eye detection or single point focus.

My objective is to help my wife who is learning how to use the R6 to simply depress one button to toggle between eye focus (when shooting humans/animals) and single point focus (landscapes, interiors).

As best I recall the user has to first "disable" most of the myriad focus options in the menu before customizing the AE lock (*) or AF point button.

If anyone can either point me to the original post or offer detailed guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Most of us just set the afternoon on button to eye detect back button focus and the * button to single point back button focus. It is the fastest way.

I like the simplicity/direct function of your customization. But I'm curious what function (if any) you assign to the AF point selection button. (button to the right of the * button)

I'm trying to grasp your setup. Put differently, IF you leave the AF Point selection button in its default setting it will toggle through the myriad of AF settings like horizontal zones, vertical zones , spot, etc-correct?

If I understand correctly you are leaving ALL the AF options intact (default setting) on the AF point selection button and essentially using the customized AF-On button and * button as "shortcuts" to 2 specific AF modes (Eye detect AF and Single point AF respectively).

Am I getting this straight?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I like the simplicity/direct function of your customization. But I'm curious what function (if any) you assign to the AF point selection button. (button to the right of the * button)

I'm trying to grasp your setup. Put differently, IF you leave the AF Point selection button in its default setting it will toggle through the myriad of AF settings like horizontal zones, vertical zones , spot, etc-correct?

If I understand correctly you are leaving ALL the AF options intact (default setting) on the AF point selection button and essentially using the customized AF-On button and * button as "shortcuts" to 2 specific AF modes (Eye detect AF and Single point AF respectively).

Am I getting this straight?
I hardly ever use the point selection button so have set it to change the crop displays. So AF on button is eye detect AF. Next one across is single point set to the centre point. Right button is crop modes. With eye af I simply don't find the need to toggle through different AF zones anymore.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. I'm working through the various "customization" settings. I have the AF-ON button set to "Eye Detection AF". Is this the same as what you call "SERVO eye AF"?
Not quite, because that will still require you to toggle between AF Servo On or Off.

I don’t have my camera on me right now, but you have the ability to setup a button to a specific set of focus settings (not the first option of the list), then if you press (I think) INFO you can customise what specific settings, so I set it up to L Tracking with Servo AF

I leave my camera on one shot AF, and spot AF all the time, and my AF-ON button is working at its default settings, I just customised the * button to a specific set of autofocus parameters

I think @Aussie shooter did mostly the same, but he swapped left and right, so his * button is probably set to the first autofocus option of the list.

Then, on the Autofocus settings menu, you also have the ability to choose the autofocus point where the camera will start looking for faces and eyes, and I chose the location of the spot AF. That way, I can point my camera at a subject on spot AF, engage continuous eye AF for that subject, and then recompose while maintaining focus.

Save all you setting on the memorycard and then transfer the file til you PC. If you reset the camera yot can load the saved file to your camera.
You can’t do that on a R6, unfortunately

Last edited:
Upvote 0