R7 Discussion

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I tried out the RAW Burst mode this afternoon. I didn't have much expectation as there was a post somewhere that it just gave a massive .CR3 that had to be opened by DPP4 and and was difficult to unbundle and gave low resolution images when used in the M6 II. With the R7, the giant .CR3 file is easily unbundled by DPP4 using the RAW Burst tool in the menu to give a batch of 32.5 Mpx RAWs. Only problem is the rolling shutter. Here are two highly cropped images of a Banded Demoiselle taking off, one good but the other with bent wings because of rolling shutter. I had pressed the shutter button after it had taken off.

3R3A1223_20_banded_demoiselle-dn-sh.jpg3R3A1226_06_Banded_demoiselle-dn-sh.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I tried out the RAW Burst mode this afternoon. I didn't have much expectation as there was a post somewhere that it just gave a massive .CR3 that had to be opened by DPP4 and and was difficult to unbundle and gave low resolution images when used in the M6 II. With the R7, the giant .CR3 file is easily unbundled by DPP4 using the RAW Burst tool in the menu to give a batch of 32.5 Mpx RAWs.
I'm very glad that DPP4 allows batch extract nowadays, it makes RAW burst worth trying again on my M6II.

As for the rolling shutter, I took similar pictures of a solitary bee taking off with an M6II, and it had the same serpentine wing distortion. But the M6II drops down to 10-bit, with a crop to do RAW bursts, I think the R7 keeps it at 12-bit, no crop.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm very glad that DPP4 allows batch extract nowadays, it makes RAW burst worth trying again on my M6II.

As for the rolling shutter, I took similar pictures of a solitary bee taking off with an M6II, and it had the same serpentine wing distortion. But the M6II drops down to 10-bit, with a crop to do RAW bursts, I think the R7 keeps it at 12-bit, no crop.
The burst mode looks good to me. It will be just right for say a perched kingfisher diving down to catch a fish. There's little wingflap there to cause problems. Wouldn't trust it with humming birds and it's mechanical shutter for them, but 15 fps is good enough for me there. I've decided to sell my R6 and will use a faster UHS-II card from that in slot 1. The R6 is very nice but the R7 does have significant reach advantage, which is my main concern.

Upvote 0

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
My first impression: Nice camera. I am working with an V90 certified SD card. That is fast enough for bursts.
Things I have to mention:
Really loud shutter.
H+ and fas H are not enable when the new original Canon battery is only 2 bars loaded.
AF in portrait mode is not as fast and accurate than in normal position, when mounted on RF lenses. If you do macro, I´ve to stay horizontal, not changing into vertical position.
And some RF-lenses do create an noisy high frequency sound, when AF or IS is enabled (Our dog gets crazy when he hears it).

Upvote 0
I was testing the Canon EOS R7 for about a week shooting birds, mammals, insects and more. This is of course not a long-term test, but I think I got a lot of impressions of the camera and therefore made a review about the R7 on my YouTube channel.

I hope this kind of post is welcome here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the camera and will try my best to answer them

Cheers,

Fabian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My first impression: Nice camera. I am working with an V90 certified SD card. That is fast enough for bursts.
Things I have to mention:
Really loud shutter.
H+ and fas H are not enable when the new original Canon battery is only 2 bars loaded.
AF in portrait mode is not as fast and accurate than in normal position, when mounted on RF lenses. If you do macro, I´ve to stay horizontal, not changing into vertical position.
And some RF-lenses do create an noisy high frequency sound, when AF or IS is enabled (Our dog gets crazy when he hears it).
Sell the camera fast, not the dog :love:.
He deserves the EOS 1.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Second picture is simply beautiful...
Thanks to the rolling shutter!
Here's one frame from the 6-Spot Burnet series in ES. Beautiful it may be, part of a rolling shutter genre of creative photography (full frame reduced, not cropped). Fortunately, it has high speed mechanical shutter and first curtain shutter that don't have this problem and I will use these settings at 15 fps for such images. At its price bracket, there have to be compromises or why buy an R5 instead at 2-3x the price?

3R3A1197_6spotburnet.JPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Here's one frame from the 6-Spot Burnet series in ES. Beautiful it may be, part of a rolling shutter genre of creative photography (full frame reduced, not cropped). Fortunately, it has high speed mechanical shutter and first curtain shutter that don't have this problem and I will use these settings at 15 fps for such images. At its price bracket, there have to be compromises or why buy an R5 instead at 2-3x the price?

View attachment 204610.
I agree, this second example of the shutter's "rolling activity" is artistically far less convincing...;)
Yet, as you wrote, the R7's low price certainly justifies some little compromises. I'm tempted to buy one for macros, but still hope for a high-end APS/C.

Upvote 0

XL+

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
Sell the camera fast, not the dog :love:.
He deserves the EOS 1.
Better not selling the R7. Really great with the 100mm Macro.... Handheld. Nothin special, but I´m pleased to see such details.
If the R1 is under 9000€, one is mine.

263A0586_LuminarNeo-edit.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Better not selling the R7. Really great with the 100mm Macro.... Handheld. Nothin special, but I´m pleased to see such details.
If the R1 is under 9000€, one is mine.

View attachment 204629
Would you say the results (macro!) obtained with the R7 are as good as the ones you'd get with, say, a 5 D IV or an EOS R?
PS: My R1 limit is around Euro 7000.

Upvote 0

XL+

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
Would you say the results (macro!) obtained with the R7 are as good as the ones you'd get with, say, a 5 D IV or an EOS R?
PS: My R1 limit is around Euro 7000.
Hmmmm.
Hard to say. I do not know, how to get the RF100mm Macro on the 5DIV. I do not own the R, only the R5 and R6.
The R5 is better at higher Iso on dark scenes. But the R7´s advantage is the Crop. So you do not have to come to close and miss the shot because the butterly flew away.
I´ll do some Macro over the summer, then I can tell you. Maybe our more PRO shooters here can tell you earlier.
For me, IQ is very good. Sharp and the fast AF surprises me. The R5 is still better, but the missing focal length is missing to get picture filling shots. Maybe an 150 or 180mm RF Macro will help here.

Oh, and I´d LOVE to see the R1 at 7000€. But I bet it will be priced like hell.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Hmmmm.
Hard to say. I do not know, how to get the RF100mm Macro on the 5DIV. I do not own the R, only the R5 and R6.
The R5 is better at higher Iso on dark scenes. But the R7´s advantage is the Crop. So you do not have to come to close and miss the shot because the butterly flew away.
I´ll do some Macro over the summer, then I can tell you. Maybe our more PRO shooters here can tell you earlier.
For me, IQ is very good. Sharp and the fast AF surprises me. The R5 is still better, but the missing focal length is missing to get picture filling shots. Maybe an 150 or 180mm RF Macro will help here.

Oh, and I´d LOVE to see the R1 at 7000€. But I bet it will be priced like hell.
The RF 180 macro would indeed be welcome, but I expect at a very high price (Euro 2500 +?).
Anyway, it will be worth it!
Yet, R1 + RF 180, 2023 will be an expensive year...
As we say in France: "Quand on aime, on ne compte pas", when you love, you don't count (the money);)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Excellent review. Some brief points. Better noise than the 90D but LR and PS bad at suppressing it so use DPP4. Shutter shock in both EFC and MS at low speeds. Excellent IQ and resolution in good light and can go up to high isos. Some AF inconsistency. I concur with all of this but have taken a different approach to RAW processing. I am shooting RAW + JPEG. The out of camera JPEGS are excellent and I am using RAW only when not good enough for some reason. For those RAWS, until DxO becomes compatible, I am processing in PS but without sharpening or noise reduction, which I then do in Topaz. It's rare I watch a YouTube but I make an exception for this guy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I am interested in the R7, My R5 getts little use as I no longer can handle large and heavy gear very well. I'm not sure that the R7 would be any better, and I'd have to add a new lens or two because I'm now setup for Full Frame focal lengths.

As for handheld moon shots, no way. Whenever I look up, the world starts spinning and I have to grab a support while looking straight or down until it stops after 10 to 20 seconds. My balance issues are really starting to affect what I can do.
If its okay to ask, how old are you Mt. Spokane?

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020

Excellent review. Some brief points. Better noise than the 90D but LR and PS bad at suppressing it so use DPP4. Shutter shock in both EFC and MS at low speeds. Excellent IQ and resolution in good light and can go up to high isos. Some AF inconsistency. I concur with all of this but have taken a different approach to RAW processing. I am shooting RAW + JPEG. The out of camera JPEGS are excellent and I am using RAW only when not good enough for some reason. For those RAWS, until DxO becomes compatible, I am processing in PS but without sharpening or noise reduction, which I then do in Topaz. It's rare I watch a YouTube but I make an exception for this guy.
Is he usually good? I saw it pop up in my feed, but his title made me a little unsure of whether I wanted to watch.

Upvote 0
Owning it for a few days, I´m impressed how good the body is - compared with the price tag. Price-performance ratio is really good.
For nature photography, the shutter sound is amazing ( ;-) ). Like my 1DXIII. Staccato fire at 15fps...
The AF very fast on all my RF lenses and also on the L-EF lenses I own (100-400, 400 2.8, 500, 600).
First, I missed the shoulder display, but I think it is just a question of time, I´m not used to miss it. Also some missing buttons. Thanks to Mr. alan, I customized the AF like he did - and it works very well. And battery life is improved. As many as more than 1200 shots with one (new) battery - as much as my R5 takes with 2 batteries inserted shooting rare Bubulcus ibis in eastern Bavaria. Well done.

One question to the community: Which SDXC card do you use? The shop assistant "forced" me to get an ultrafast one. But in the manula, V60 is recommended. I added an Sony with 300MB/s up and down, but this does not match very well.
Would you mind sharing this AF customization you mentioned?

Upvote 0