6D logical upgrade from 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
Skirball said:
For the record, I own and love my 6D. But I’d never compare it against a 7D for sports or fast moving subjects.
+1

I love mine too. But I don't cover the Grand Prix, or even shoot indoor track events. I occasionally/rarely shoot birds, and the focus is fine, and the FPS is more than I need. Maybe I miss some shots, but not $1500 worth of shots. I used that money, and a bit more, to buy a 28-70 f/2.8L II. Better choice for me.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Just acquired a second-hand 7d for use for sports/backup/reach. IQ wise it does not hold up to the 6D or current-gen FF but I didn't expect it to. (I can handle more noise in my sports shots if it gets me more reach and more pixels on my subject.)

To me, the 6D wins on IQ and versatility...the 7D wins on AF and speed. Different strengths and weaknesses...can't really say one camera is completely "better" than the other, but if I had to choose one, it would be 6D every time. Covers 80% of my needs (but completely inadequate for the other 20%, which is why I have both cameras)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Act444 said:
To me, the 6D wins on IQ and versatility...the 7D wins on AF and speed. Different strengths and weaknesses...can't really say one camera is completely "better" than the other, but if I had to choose one, it would be 6D every time. Covers 80% of my needs (but completely inadequate for the other 20%, which is why I have both cameras)

That's really my main point, and it's why I had both a 5DII and a 7D, and why I now have a 1D X to replace both.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Act444 said:

That's really my main point, and it's why I had both a 5DII and a 7D, and why I now have a 1D X to replace both.

Yeah...perhaps the new 7D can be 1.3x crop with improved high-ISO performance...the 1D X being FF kills it for me as a sports cam (price too).

Actually, out of the cameras I have I'd choose the 5D3 over both the 6D and 7D if I was limited to just one. But all three serve a different purpose, even if just brief (as is the case of the 7D...)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Act444 said:
Yeah...perhaps the new 7D can be 1.3x crop with improved high-ISO performance...the 1D X being FF kills it for me as a sports cam (price too).

APS-H is dead. :p

I can see the price killing the 1D X as a sports cam, but not it being FF - the IQ of a 1D X image cropped to the 1DIV's FoV is as good or better than the 1DIV.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Act444 said:

APS-H is dead. :p

I can see the price killing the 1D X as a sports cam, but not it being FF - the IQ of a 1D X image cropped to the 1DIV's FoV is as good or better than the 1DIV.

I understand that...I was speaking more in relation to my own needs/desires though. That's the one time I really value the reach of 1.6x - the lenses you would need to get the same FOV on FF either don't exist or require one to sell his soul. When you can't get closer, the reach is nice to have- can put more pixels on subject/have additional cropping latitude.

I found that most times I can get close enough to where I can benefit from FF, and the IQ is unbeatable. the few times I can't, however...

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
neuroanatomist said:
Janbo Makimbo said:
Yes it is....thats why I UPGRADED.... Image Quality, low light shooting (where it focuses much better than a 7D) are what is important.

...what is important to you. I think you forgot to add that part. For someone with a 7D who shoots fast-moving sports, birds in flight, etc., would the 6D be an upgrade? No. A better sensor for low light doesn't help if the AF system can't track your subject...you'll just get low-noise blurry shots.

As I asked elsewhere, is a Mercedes SL550 convertible an 'upgrade' to a Ford F150? Not for someone who needs to haul around loads of dirt or bricks every day...

Can you honestly say the outer AF points of the 6D perform better than those of the 7D?

Dear Sir, Mr. neuroanatomist----I love your Words/ Great Words for my whole week "As I asked elsewhere, is a Mercedes SL550 convertible an 'upgrade' to a Ford F150? Not for someone who needs to haul around loads of dirt or bricks every day..."----Yes, Sir, We need to ask our self " WHAT FOR" first, Before to buy the new equipment that We just buy and use 1-2 time and Put in the Box. Yes, I Have 2 Big MB, cars just use 1 or 2 times per Month ( to charge the Batteries) and Stay in Garage all the times, But I use my 2005 Acura MDX/ Medium size SUV in every days ( 160,000 + Miles) for carry my Professional Equipment for my work and The Hobby ( Photography) Equipment, for my FUN, in every day.
Thousand Thanks for your Great / Logic Words.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Janbo Makimbo said:
papa-razzi said:
The 6D is not an "upgrade" from the 7D. The cameras are designed for different purposes.

For Image Quality, FF sensor, low light shooting - the 6D is far superior.

For shooting action - FPS, Auto Focus - the 7D is far superior.

If you want both image quality and abiltiy to shoot action, then you must look at a 5D III or a 1Dx.

From what I have understood from the OP's post and responses in this thread, the 5D III is the camera that will satisfy. I suggest keeping a sharp eye out for sales on the 5D III and pulling the trigger when it gets around $2,600 USD. Save the money spent renting a 6D and put it toward a 5DIII.

Yes it is....thats why I UPGRADED.... Image Quality, low light shooting (where it focuses much better than a 7D) are what is important.

I had the 7D since it came out, never ever used the high FPS.

Its a better camera than the 5D Mkii which was better than the 7D.

You missed the point entirely. Granted the 6D is a better camera for your needs, and therefore was an upgrade - for you. But, in general, the 6D is not an upgrade to the 7D straight across.

Let me ask you. Is a Porche 911 an upgrade to a Land-Rover Range Rover? Or to a Cadilac Escalade?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
papa-razzi said:
Is a Porche 911 an upgrade to a Land-Rover Range Rover? Or to a Cadilac Escalade?
That depends...can I put three child car seats in a Porsche 911? ;)
I've got a Mazda3. I can fit an 8' 2x4 inside it, regularly carries two canoes on the roof, and camping gear and food for two weeks inside.... can't do that in a Porsche 911 :) For me and my needs a Porsche 911 is a downgrade.

With cameras, since I value AF so highly, a 6D is a downgrade from a 7D.

Upvote 0
When I had the 7D I knew it had a better focussing system than the 5D Mk II - I also new that the 5D Mk II was a better camera.

I had a 7D 'top of the range ' APS-C camera whereas the Mk II was the bottom of the range FF Canon Camera, I would have love to have UPGRADED to the FF but even then could not afford the difference.

Have a look where the 7D sits in the current Canon line up compared to the 6D - therefore the 6D is an upgrade to the 7D - I can't make it any simpler for you......

Upvote 0
Janbo Makimbo said:
Have a look where the 7D sits in the current Canon line up compared to the 6D - therefore the 6D is an upgrade to the 7D - I can't make it any simpler for you......

I certainly agree with you that overall the 6D is a better camera than the 7D. In most respects the 6D outperforms the 7D. But, the OP framed the question around outer AF point performance. In that context, the 7D is superior.

Upvote 0
I don't really see the upgrade path from 7D to the 6D.

The 7D has the higher frame rate for action, the AF seldom fails and the pixel count not all that different. I have absolutely no problem with the image quality, and that is using such greats lens as a 24-105L, a 28mm f2 Zeiss Distagon, a 35mm PC Distagon, an 85 f/1.2 Zeiss 50th Anniversary and a 200mm f/1.8 Canon USM

One place where the rubber meets the road in the superior build quality (seals, dial layout esp) over the 6D.

I viewed the 6D as a sort of inexpensive test camera for the FF market. and after handling it and using it for a day, my thoughts haven't changed in that regard. It felt sort of toyish, and the 20M pixel count was sort of underwhelming.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Janbo Makimbo said:

Then please, stop trying.

Have a look at where Chevy's Silverado 3500 sits in their lineup - the cheapest Corvette costs more, so by your logic, the Corvette must be an upgrade from the Silverado. But if you need to haul 7,000 pounds of crap around on a daily basis, is the Corvette really an upgrade?

The only thing you've managed to make clear is that you don't understand the concept of 'fit for purpose'.

Upvote 0
johnhenry said:
I don't really see the upgrade path from 7D to the 6D.

The 7D has the higher frame rate for action, the AF seldom fails and the pixel count not all that different. I have absolutely no problem with the image quality, and that is using such greats lens as a 24-105L, a 28mm f2 Zeiss Distagon, a 35mm PC Distagon, an 85 f/1.2 Zeiss 50th Anniversary and a 200mm f/1.8 Canon USM

One place where the rubber meets the road in the superior build quality (seals, dial layout esp) over the 6D.

I viewed the 6D as a sort of inexpensive test camera for the FF market. and after handling it and using it for a day, my thoughts haven't changed in that regard. It felt sort of toyish, and the 20M pixel count was sort of underwhelming.
Keep telling yourself that.... one day even you might believe it!!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Janbo Makimbo said:

Then please, stop trying.

Have a look at where Chevy's Silverado 3500 sits in their lineup - the cheapest Corvette costs more, so by your logic, the Corvette must be an upgrade from the Silverado. But if you need to haul 7,000 pounds of crap around on a daily basis, is the Corvette really an upgrade?

The only thing you've managed to make clear is that you don't understand the concept of 'fit for purpose'.

Oh well you have made it clear that at least you know a little something about cars!!

Upvote 0
Janbo Makimbo said:
When I had the 7D I knew it had a better focussing system than the 5D Mk II - I also new that the 5D Mk II was a better camera.

I had a 7D 'top of the range ' APS-C camera whereas the Mk II was the bottom of the range FF Canon Camera, I would have love to have UPGRADED to the FF but even then could not afford the difference.

What point are you trying to make here? The 6D is an upgrade for IQ, no question, but not for framerate and AF coverage/customisation, they serve different purposes so the upgrade you speak of is not black and white. It depends on what your priorities are....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.