6D mark II is out... any news about full frame mirrorless?

Now that the 6D mark II is out, sharing many characteristics with the 80D, am I ridiculous for hoping for a full frame mirrorless camera equivalent to the M5? Is a similar time frame, i.e. 7 months, reasonable for expected release? (like something like January announcement?)

Can't wait to use an eletronic viewfinder! Missed too many shots when I didn't take my eyes off the optical viewfinder to check my exposure.

I waited soooo long for the 6D mark II I ended up buying a 5D mark IV... I kind of regret it now seing the 6D has a pretty decent focusing system (compared to my 6D mark I) and it FINALLY has a tilt screen (first one on a full frame camera with dual pixel AF).

May 11, 2017
To get the first Full Frame mirrorless, all Canon is going to have to do is put an electronic viewfinder on the 6DII. The 6DII's Liveview, with an articulated screen and touchscreen focussing, is pretty much there for a mirrorless camera, or so it seems to me. I don't know when Canon is going to put out a version with an electronic viewfinder though.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
ichiru said:
I waited soooo long for the 6D mark II I ended up buying a 5D mark IV... I kind of regret it now seing the 6D has a pretty decent focusing system (compared to my 6D mark I) and it FINALLY has a tilt screen (first one on a full frame camera with dual pixel AF).

I would love to have a tilted screen of the 6dm2 and DPRAW of the 5dm4 in my 1dx2... It's always a trade-off somewhere, even going from cheaper models to more expensive :)

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
BillB said:
To get the first Full Frame mirrorless, all Canon is going to have to do is put an electronic viewfinder on the 6DII. The 6DII's Liveview, with an articulated screen and touchscreen focussing, is pretty much there for a mirrorless camera, or so it seems to me. I don't know when Canon is going to put out a version with an electronic viewfinder though.
6d2 liveview = 400 shot with such big battery
6d2 evf version should be 250 shots per charge

looking forward to seeing that product

Upvote 0
pokerz said:
BillB said:

Integral grip? That'd make the "mirrorless is for small" crowd have fits. ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
pokerz said:
BillB said:

Not so....
1200 shots normal....
drops to 400 shots in liveview.....

But a mirrorless camera will not have to keep the mirror powered up while in liveview, and that`s most of what is killing the battery... you should expect somewhere around 800 shots with an EVF.....

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Earlier this week I slipped over and watched myself and my slung 80D and 100-400 II go into a small seawater rockpool, full immersion for the 80D, half way immersion up the lens for the other. Large bruise on the hip as well.

The 100-400 seems completely fine after a careful wipedown and dryout, the 80D mostly works but no flash popup (motor dead Id say), and noise comes out the speaker. I doubt the 80D is long for this world, but overall am somewhat amazed at how much still works overall, was expecting complete death for both. Yes Im getting the lens checked out, not sure it will be worth it for the 80D.

The day after, I get back to the internet to see this released. Decisions, decisions.....

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2014
BillB said:

That's it... a 6D II with EVF and I would buy it in a heartbeat! It's not only OVF vs EVF, it's that I am so fed up with MFA and inaccurate focusing... it feels sooo from the past!

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Don Haines said:
But a mirrorless camera will not have to keep the mirror powered up while in liveview, and that`s most of what is killing the battery... you should expect somewhere around 800 shots with an EVF.....

mirror (and-or shutter) motor(s) only takes power when it cycles the mirror unless they've done some silly torque-vs-spring thing without a cam to hold it in position.

running all that circuitry to create live-view takes juice!
fast sensor readout, image processing + other sensor data overlays, display... Optical stabilization systems, possibly AF-processing.
That's a lot of stuff running vs a DSLR sitting there waiting to take a shot and consuming almost nothing for power.

OTOH, depending how the system is designed and used, it can be efficient.
I recently shot a lot of long-burst action for extreme sports with my Olympus EM1v2. Nearly 4000 images (mostly jpg, I didn't need raw) in an afternoon and I still had just under 50% battery capacity left on the first battery. Never needed the spare batteries! I was quite pleasantly surprised!
However, I was taking advantage of full electronic shutter most of the time so saved some shutter motor juice... and wear. It's an amazing camera!

Upvote 0
I'd love a Canon full frame camera (won't be the 6D line) with a hybrid switchable OVF/EVF, sort of like the Fuji X100/X-Pro 1 series but in a DSLR format. Failing that, at least a hotshot that's wired to allow an accessory EVF, which shouldn't be hard for Canon as they already have the technology developed and fitted to EOS-M cameras.

That way we could have the best of both worlds, enjoying the beautiful natural image that OVFs give, whilst being able to do 'up-to-the-eye' exposure preview and focus check/magnified manual focus when that suits.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
traveller said:
I'd love a Canon full frame camera (won't be the 6D line) with a hybrid switchable OVF/EVF, sort of like the Fuji X100/X-Pro 1 series but in a DSLR format. Failing that, at least a hotshot that's wired to allow an accessory EVF, which shouldn't be hard for Canon as they already have the technology developed and fitted to EOS-M cameras.

That way we could have the best of both worlds, enjoying the beautiful natural image that OVFs give, whilst being able to do 'up-to-the-eye' exposure preview and focus check/magnified manual focus when that suits.

I'd kill for hybrid OVF/EVF in Canon DSLR. OVF for quick paced AF servo action. EVF for dimly lit venues and for much more comfortable MF lenses. Damn, that would be something!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
SPKoko said:
BillB said:

That's it... a 6D II with EVF and I would buy it in a heartbeat! It's not only OVF vs EVF, it's that I am so fed up with MFA and inaccurate focusing... it feels sooo from the past!

I keep reminding myself that I can do electronic viewing now if I am willing to put the camera on my tripod and use Liveview. I am rarely shooting that far from the car, so weight really isn't a problem. Laziness is what it comes down to in most shots without any moving objects, like people. Been reminding myself of that a lot since the 6DII specs were announced. I'm thinking I would rather use a tripod with Liveview than go without the OVF anyway. This dog may be too old for the EVF trick.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
BillB said:
I'm thinking I would rather use a tripod with Liveview than go without the OVF anyway. This dog may be too old for the EVF trick.

This old dog LOVES EVFs! :)
much more than live view on a tripod with a dark blanket over my head so I can see it. LOL
Unfortunately... I still have to use that technique occasionally with some of my older cameras when i want critical focus.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have yet to see a EFV that I thought was professional grade, but have not done a survey of all the latest. I certainly would not like to use a lcd screen to operate a camera outdoors. I do have a pop-up hood over the LCD on my 5D MK III (I'm wondering if it will fit my MK IV). It allows me to see the LCD screen barely on a bright sunny day, OK for composing, but that's all.

I was wondering if those goggle like things that hold a smartphone for VR use would wirelessly connect to a Canon DSLR to act as a big screen EVF? For much of my usage, the DPAF is fine, fast, and accurate, if I could only see the image. I've tethered to my smartphone, and tablet, they are useless in bright sun as well. I think I'll research some.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have yet to see a EFV that I thought was professional grade, but have not done a survey of all the latest. I certainly would not like to use a lcd screen to operate a camera outdoors. I do have a pop-up hood over the LCD on my 5D MK III (I'm wondering if it will fit my MK IV). It allows me to see the LCD screen barely on a bright sunny day, OK for composing, but that's all.

I was wondering if those goggle like things that hold a smartphone for VR use would wirelessly connect to a Canon DSLR to act as a big screen EVF? For much of my usage, the DPAF is fine, fast, and accurate, if I could only see the image. I've tethered to my smartphone, and tablet, they are useless in bright sun as well. I think I'll research some.

Fuji X-T2 has pretty good EVF. Magnification around the same as 6D and almost no lag (well, there will be always some I guess).

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mirrorless and EVF is now primetime

I didn't buy Fuji's XT2 this time around... too many little niggles about it I didn't like for the price point. I hear the EVF is pretty much imroved over my XT1 for action work.
I got the XT20 for similar IQ instead. Then found some minor IQ strangeness with it too...

BUT... Since I got my Oly EM1v2... wow. LOVE that camera!
Everything about it... except the battery grip. Very different feel from landscape to portrait orientation... what were they thinking?!?...
But it can do it all with enough IQ I can pull a 30 to 36" print from it in decent light, which is usually all the time for what I shoot...

Anyway, EVF on that little speed-demon is about as professional as you can get with contemporary mirrorless and I had no problem shooting extremely fast sporting events with it. Lag is so minimal it's easy to get used to and blackout's also a non-issue until you jam up the buffer.
I didn't have the lastest greatest hi speed card in it. In fact I was using a lowly Lexar that wasn't even UHS1 speed because I was relying on the buffer and pauses in the action the camera could use to write to card. Worked just fine tho at times I wished I had the fastest SD card in it. Shoot a burst, shoot another... dang! can't shoot another just yet. But that was at fixed AF and 60 fps!!
When I slowed it back down to 10 or 15 fps... no problem with card speed or EVF.
I followed action completely thru the EVF, other eye closed most of the time, zooming and AF tracking throughout with very high keeper rate resulting.
I've never used such a fast and versatile camera. I've found my sports machine. :)
Will try it on BIF sometime but my only long lens for it is not very fast to AF. I suspect the AF system will track it pretty well tho. It did a pretty good tracking job even in the highly cluttered scenes I was using it in.
I think it used one quad-core processor just for AF functions...

Still... I'd like a FF ML body with IBIS and short flange distance... kinda like Sony... but not a Sony.
I want a Nikon or Pentax version. Pentax didn't listen to me when I suggested it.
A Canon version, WITH 5-axis IBIS, and a sensor equal or better than the one in the 5D4 I would consider. Needs a good EVF too but I don't care if it's not as fast as my EM1 cuz it would not be a sports cam for me. Oh, and give it sensor-shift high-rez mode too. I'm not going backwards now that I've tasted that!

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
BillB said:
I'm thinking I would rather use a tripod with Liveview than go without the OVF anyway. This dog may be too old for the EVF trick.

This old dog LOVES EVFs! :)
much more than live view on a tripod with a dark blanket over my head so I can see it. LOL
Unfortunately... I still have to use that technique occasionally with some of my older cameras when i want critical focus.

This dog is 34 (which I believe makes me young for photography forums) but I still love my OVFs.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I shoot a Leica Q full frame with EVF. Both the Q and the Leica SL have EVF that all these EVF haters need to experience. Seeing realtime the effects of exposure compensation is paramount!

My main gear is all Canon dSLR full frame. Brilliant OVFs but a 5D-IV or 6D-II with Leica quality EVF would have me move totally to mirrorless.

When my 6D-II arrives, I shall probably use the flippy/tilty almost all the time.

Upvote 0