6D or 5D Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marsu42 said:
bdunbar79 said:
If I were to choose TODAY, I would likely go with the 6D.

... and then wait until December ... and then some, think of the 24-70ii and 1dx. Did Canon actually mention *which* December the 6d will be shipped in volume numbers :p ?

;D thanks for the laugh! let's try to remember the 6D is just vaporware for us unwashed masses at the moment.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
bdunbar79 said:
If I were to choose TODAY, I would likely go with the 6D.

... and then wait until December ... and then some, think of the 24-70ii and 1dx. Did Canon actually mention *which* December the 6d will be shipped in volume numbers :p ?

Hey man... can't bash Canon on that, after all they did have all the floods in Thailand... that must have affected their RM suppliy lines.... Oh never mind, that was Nikon who is delivering the 6D upon announcement. ;)

Upvote 0
Spec lists and real performance are different things. If Canon has improved AF capabilities of a single line AF point to make it better than recent cross point structures - the specs which count and describe the number or type of AF points are non-information for real performance.
Reasoning about sensor quality without having seen a representative number of images made with this sensor and its processor is wasting time. We have to wait.

A second point is usability: Is GPS worth it? Is WiFi worth it? Clear answer: It depends on the users requirements. For me the chance to have the live view image on my smart phone is a better alternative than a flip screen mirror. If the live view is fast enough and the corresponding app is ergonimically designed.

At the moment I couldn't decide - and there is no need for me to decide. Let's wait for the full spectrum of lab and real world tests - than we will have a basis for decisions.

Upvote 0
mb66energy said:
Spec lists and real performance are different things. If Canon has improved AF capabilities of a single line AF point to make it better than recent cross point structures - the specs which count and describe the number or type of AF points are non-information for real performance.

If I'd be a Canon seller, I'd also say the specs mean nothing :) ... but I've shot with a non-cross sensor for years (eos rt, eos 620), and no low light capability can fix the degraded pattern detection, try focusing venetian blinds or a fence with vertical bars. The 6d will be no bad camera and the af system is most likely better than the 5d2, but except for the center point sensor that doesn't mean much.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2012
I played with the 6D prototype at Exposure in Toronto recently. Personally I found the ergonomics far nicer than those of the 5D Mk II - and well tuned for one handed operation. The 5D Mk II is a bit like holding a brick if you have small hands.. The only draw backs I see are the 1/4000 shutter and the 1/180 sync. However lets be realistic, the difference between 1/200 and 1/180 sync isn't going to mean much (1/6 of a stop). And I find when I need 1/8000 I normally also need an ND filter anyway, which brings me down to 1/500 or something like that.

The shutter life difference could be an issue, but then you have to ask how many photos do you actually shoot? And how long do you plan to keep the camera before replacing it?

However for me the huge selling point of the 6D is the "silent" shutter! Assuming it works on the production cameras like it does on the prototype - wow is it quiet compared to the 5D Mk II! It I can think of so many places (events, street, ect.) it would be great to have that feature.

The extra ISO performance, and -3 EV auto-focus are also really important to me (if they work of course).

Other things to consider. The 600EX-RT flashes can only do high-speed wireless sync with newer cameras. Of course you can do this with pocket wizards flex things, but I think that's the more expensive option now.

And the 6D is a bit snapper to play back, and zoom images. Don't know if that matters or not.

It's arguable which actually has the better build quality and weather sealing. Have to wait for someone to take apart a 6D to know for sure.

Overall I'm waiting for the 6D. However if I owned a 5D Mk II, I'm not sure it's actually worth the upgrade, more likely I would sell it, and try to get a 5D Mk III on-sale instead - which is a clear upgrade in every possible way.

If I was shooting mostly at ISO 100-3200, didn't need the quiet shutter, and could live with manual focus when the auto-focus gave out in the dark, and didn't plan to get 600EX-RTs, I'd go for the 5D Mk II for the price and live with the less ideal ergonomics.

As for the WiFi and GPS. Well, you can use newer Android phones with a USB cable to control the camera, so WiFi for remote release isn't something I'd miss with the 5D Mk II. And if I wanted to Geotag images, I'd just get one of the many GPS tracker apps for my phone, and sync with LightRoom and time stamps. Yes having them is convenient, but it's not a deal breaker/maker in either direction. If I had the money I'd get the 5D Mk III without a question and forget about the WiFi and GPS.

And if the option of switching brands isn't too painful, look at the D600. I did, and liked it for the most part. However the live-view implementation in manual mode is painful to say the least, so I'm sicking with Canon for now.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
paulgmccabe said:
I'm considering picking up either the 6D or 5D Mk II, which camera would you expect to be better? How many 5D Mk II owners would swap their camera for the 6D? Are there any advantages the 5D Mk II holds over the 6D?

The 6D is a fail for me, because it went to the strange ergos of the 60D.

Upvote 0
A couple things when looking at the 6d specs:
* 1 cross focus point in the center only
* Shutter speed only up to 1/4000th may be a problem for fast prime work or large apertures in general. I would not like to have to put a fast prime lens on another body just to shoot large apertures...
* Flash sync is 1/180th which may or may not be an issue for some.
* They do specifically mention the camera focusses at -3EV, there is no mention like that for the 5dm3 that i could find but that may just be marketing hype to make it appear to stand out.
* Canon Does mention a "silent shooting mode". I don't yet know how that compares to the 5DM3
Finally canon has made a camera UHS-1 speed capable not just compatible.
* If the info is correct the images should look the same as the 5dm3 as far as iso and digic processing but given the sensor is different they will find a way to make it be dumbed down. In the early days of Canon FF the photo diode sites being much larger than the APS-c's meant more light gathering and thus cleaner better images which i think still applies given the 1dx is 16mp. Potentially if no scimping went into the sensor the 6D's images could be cleaner than the 5dm3, but that most likely will not happen. :D
It is funny to me the nick nacks they add to the camera. One i like is iphone remote app capability. Why in God's name didn't the 5dm3 get this feature???
* The Gps, i could care less. Some may think its cool to have no doubt. People who travel may find this feature being in camera enough reason to purchase this camera, which i guess i could see myself in that position had i traveled the world like some do.
* One thing i am happy to see is that it has the lock on the shooting style dial like the 5dm3.
* Although i prefer the Cf cards over sd by a mile they aren't so bad. If you are a wedding photographer the 6d would be your second body.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RLPhoto said:
paulgmccabe said:
I'm considering picking up either the 6D or 5D Mk II, which camera would you expect to be better? How many 5D Mk II owners would swap their camera for the 6D? Are there any advantages the 5D Mk II holds over the 6D?

The 6D is a fail for me, because it went to the strange ergos of the 60D.
+1 Plus the use of SD card. It makes it look like a Rebel update. As if we would throw away expensive compact flash cards...
I do not want to be repetitive, many members mentioned other 6D disadvantages.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
On almost all features it improves on the 5DII, yet is selling for significantly less at introduction.

.. except for some core features like only 1/4000 shutter and 1/180 x-sync that is, esp. the latter being a potential problem because even the 1/200s of the 5d2/5d3 is pretty low. And it only has 100k est. shutter cycles, that's 1/3rd less of the 5d2.

My biggest grief with the 6d is that if they wanted it to be different from the 5d3, why not really make it a ff 60d/650d and add all consumer features like swivel screen (yes-this-is-extremely-useful) and touchscreen interface? And a build-in flash is a must-have for a travel body (Nikon manages to put this on ff), I find it ridiculous to have to mount a bulky rf controller or a 580ex-type flash just to control another external flash.

Upvote 0
Bosman said:
* They do specifically mention the camera focusses at -3EV, there is no mention like that for the 5dm3 that i could find but that may just be marketing hype to make it appear to stand out.

Last week an Canon-employee told and showed me on charts that the 5D3 and 1DX are rated for -2EV so double the light.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.