6D should i wait for newer model or buy soon?

grahamclarkphoto

Just a photographer who loves to travel.
nowayout88 said:
Hey currently shooting on a 500D, have had it since xmas 2010. Still enjoy it, but I'm currently on a 3rd level course doing photography & was thinking full frame would be best for my 3 years i have left since first year is just over & its all black & white, which I'm loving. Do you think I should wait for the newer model or get while the price is dropping. I'm living in Ireland & the prices of it here with the 24-105mm f4 IS USM is €2599 (I've added a link). It has dropped down about €200 since about November. Great deal both Elements 11 & Lightroom 5. I was thinking of getting it around March-May when my current loan is paid back about €1200 left. Would the price drop by more come that time or is it worth to pay more for a newer one which I think will be more like the current 5D. I'm not one for having the latest & greatest, but coming from where I'm coming from would it be best to have the best at the time of purchase of the current one be a worth while upgrade?. Cheers

http://www.connscameras.ie/p/canon-eos-6d/p-8714574593609

I'd recommend getting one now as the refresh cycle is most likely a little ways out.

I just finished a video review of the 6D, feel free to check it out here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19066

Graham

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Getting back to the original point: While I think there is an outside chance that the 6D will be refreshed before the next 5D, I doubt you will see it happening for at least a year.

And, as others have pointed out, it will be more expensive and you'll have another year's wait for the price to come down. Even then, I doubt it will come down to the current 6D level.

I also suspect that the price of the 6D has bottomed out for awhile. (You may see it drop a little over the next year, but I wouldn't expect to see any significant price drops until it is about ready to be replaced)

Assuming a 5DIII is out of the picture (and honestly I'm not sure it's worth the cost for student on a budget) it's about the best option out there. The 70D is a nice camera, but other than the dual pixel live view focus, doesn't have much that the 7D doesn't already offer. I wouldn't buy a 7D now, even though I own one and it has served me very well. It's too old and about to be replaced.

Upvote 0

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
Marsu42 said:
It's great to hear that your 6d is working fine, but imho unless your 6d has another sensor array this simply means you're lucky (or didn't look @100% crops) - with wider apertures, the 6d af is f2.8 non-cross and falls back to f5.6.

Seems to me the center-AF point is always cross-type as long as the max. aperture is wider than f/5.6.

From the 6D manual:

Maximum lens aperture: f/3.2 - f/5.6

Cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously) is possible with the center AF point. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Maximum lens aperture: f/1.0 - f/2.8

Besides cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously), the center AF point can also perform high-precision, vertical-line sensitive AF. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
People here seem to be recommending Full frame over crop, which I completely agree with. Buying from Conn's Cameras I also recommend that too, but you also have the 2nd hand 6D market here in Ireland too after a 2 minute search on Adverts and donedeal I found several 6D's for sale (one by a guy wanting to buy a 70D instead).
This option might leave you with enough to buy an even better lens than the great 24-105, (eg a Tamron 24-70 f2.8) It is something to consider anyway.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
You're in luck there, the 6d af isn't the latest & greatest, basically it's a years old 40d design and virtually the same as on the 5d2 :->
As someone who just upgraded from a 40D to a 6D I respectfully disagree. With the exact same lenses as I was using on the 40D my experience has been that the 6D's AF performs much better. I found myself using live view + 10x magnification and MF on the 40D whenever I was shooting relatively stationary subjects and using burst mode to shoot lots of pictures to up my chances of getting sharp shots with action. On the 6D my keeper rate has been noticeably better using AF, even with the peripheral AF points. I find myself having more fun shooting pictures and less time worrying about my gear. Give it a try sometime!

Upvote 0
I agree %1000

I had a 40d then a 7d and now a 6d. I have learned to become a primarily a center point focus guy which does take some getting used to. The center point on a 6d is the best focus point Canon has ever made. I shoot at f/1.4 more than any f-stop with mine. Nothing wrong with focus system itself it could use a few more points but you can get used to it.

Go with the 6d and don't look back!

Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
The 7D is my first SLR, which I bought in 2012. I got the 6D refurbished in December 2013. I must say the 6D's IQ is noticeably superior, and I find it difficulty to go back to the 7D, especially with regard to high ISO performance (1600 or higher).

The only exception has been shooting fast-moving objects such as birds.

I have no experience shooting fast lenses.

I also prefer the 6D over the 7D for its button arrangement. With the 6D I can review and magnify shots using just the right thumb. The 7D forces me to use the left hand, which I usually use to stabilize heavy lenses.

I love the idea of GPS and Wifi. In practice I leave them turned off, primarily to save battery.

In short, unless you're into action shots I'd recommend the 6D for its excellent center-point AF, superior high ISO performance, and not least the decent price.

Upvote 0
I make a living from photography and have been using a 5d2 for the last three years and just got a 6d. I couldnt be happier and it is a great upgrade from the 5d2. Of course 5d2's are now going used for the same price as 70d's and that makes them great bargains! From a professional point of view the 5d2 is still great. The 24-105 is a nice general purpose lens to have but its really not canons best. My most used lenses are all primes, a 24ts, 40mm pancake and the 851.8. Granted the TS cost more than the camera, but the 40 & 85 are all 'budget' lenses that are super sharp and from a working perspective are just great and deliver far superior quality than the 24-105 zoom. I have just come back from two weeks in Cape Town and the 6D behaved impeccably, and most of my images were made with the 6d plus 40mm combo...some of my Cape Town images can be seen here at ...http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-canon-eos-6d-review-part-1-image.html

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
MxM said:
Marsu42 said:
You're in luck there, the 6d af isn't the latest & greatest, basically it's a years old 40d design...
What is this about, "Basically a 40D design?" What are you, a standup comedian?

If so, he's not a very good one - he flubbed the punch line of the joke! The 40D has all cross-type AF points and the center point has a dual-cross arrangement (f/2.8 'x' and f/5.6 '+'). That AF sensor is in the Rebel/xxxD series, starting with the T4i/650D. The 6D's AF, with a cross-type (but not dual cross) center point and some single-orientation f/5.6 peripheral points is more like a modified 5D/5DII AF, which is more like the AF of the 20D (and older entry-level models like the T1i/500D. Cue rimshot...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
MxM said:
Marsu42 said:
You're in luck there, the 6d af isn't the latest & greatest, basically it's a years old 40d design...
What is this about, "Basically a 40D design?" What are you, a standup comedian?

If so, he's not a very good one - he flubbed the punch line of the joke! The 40D has all cross-type AF points and the center point has a dual-cross arrangement (f/2.8 'x' and f/5.6 '+'). That AF sensor is in the Rebel/xxxD series, starting with the T4i/650D. The 6D's AF, with a cross-type (but not dual cross) center point and some single-orientation f/5.6 peripheral points is more like a modified 5D/5DII AF, which is more like the AF of the 20D (and older entry-level models like the T1i/500D. Cue rimshot...

You also forgot to mention that the 6d center point is the best Canon has ever put in a camera. Its also the best low light camera Canon has ever made. It has GPS and WI-FI and right now it cost about the same as my 40d when I bought it new. If your a Canon shooter who shoots landscapes, this camera is a by far your best option. I believe its one of the lightest DSLRs ever made as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
Just read all the posts here, watched Graham's video (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19066), then went back and read the OPs question.

I went from the 20D to the 6D. Do I feel my pictures are better for it? Yes. Do I think your pictures will be better if you upgrade? Yes. If you wait, you could be missing a year or two of better pictures. Oh, and for all this talk of focus points etc, one has to wonder how Ansel Adams ever took a picture. Buy the camera. In two years, if something else comes out you want, sell the 6D and pay the difference.

Upvote 0
thismercifulfate said:
Marsu42 said:
You're in luck there, the 6d af isn't the latest & greatest, basically it's a years old 40d design and virtually the same as on the 5d2
As someone who just upgraded from a 40D to a 6D I respectfully disagree.

This obviously has caused quite a lot of confusion to the point of rudeness, and that's not what I'm here for I certainly won't participate in this, so this is my last post about this.

What I meant to say was that the general sensor array design is from the 40d times and then made it via 5dc and 5d2 to the 6d, of course some tweaks were added. I wrote to point out that the 6d af array certainly isn't the "latest & greates" and you can buy it with the peace of mind that you're not throwing money away for bleeding edge and that it's time-tested and proven - new developments are on 5d3/1dx.

Fuhrtographer said:
You also forgot to mention that the 6d center point is the best Canon has ever put in a camera.

... unless you're shooting faster lenses than f2.8 because for these it's got only non-cross precision, alas, "best" is a term to be better avoided when comparing tech items that perform very differently in different situations.

Upvote 0

Kathode-Ray

Shoot, shoot, shoot!
Jun 29, 2012
Marsu42 said:
... unless you're shooting faster lenses than f2.8 because for these it's got only non-cross precision, alas, "best" is a term to be better avoided when comparing tech items that perform very differently in different situations.

Where does it say that? Seems to me that the center point is cross-type from f/1.0 to f/5.6.

From the 6D manual:

Maximum lens aperture: f/3.2 - f/5.6
Cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously) is possible with the center AF point. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Maximum lens aperture: f/1.0 - f/2.8
Besides cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously), the center AF point can also perform high-precision, vertical-line sensitive AF. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Upvote 0
Kathode-Ray said:
Maximum lens aperture: f/1.0 - f/2.8 Besides cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously), the center AF point can also perform high-precision, vertical-line sensitive AF. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Well, Canon marketing just made you their b**** :-> and it's really not hard to find (use search) ... what you just quoted means that there is just a non-cross "high precision" overlay line for faster lenses, if this fails to lock on it falls back to the less precise "real" cross point.

It is a bit confusing and I also needed some coaching to understand it, it's the same system used on the 5d2, and in actual shooting this means that the center point will be fine on high-contrast targets (the non-cross line locks on) while on low contrast surfaces you'll get micro-misses then and again.

So I'm happy to be helpful here, though I think after so many threads I'm really through pointing this out, I'm rather happy with my 6d since the iq is really outstanding, and why should I go on trying to point out the hidden flaws and why this camera deserves a far lower price than the 5d3 :)

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Kathode-Ray said:
Maximum lens aperture: f/1.0 - f/2.8 Besides cross-type focusing (vertical and horizontal lines detected simultaneously), the center AF point can also perform high-precision, vertical-line sensitive AF. The other AF points are either vertical- or horizontal-line sensitive.

Well, Canon marketing just made you their b**** :-> and it's really not hard to find (use search) ... what you just quoted means that there is just a non-cross "high precision" overlay line for faster lenses, if this fails to lock on it falls back to the less precise "real" cross point.

It is a bit confusing and I also needed some coaching to understand it, it's the same system used on the 5d2, and in actual shooting this means that the center point will be fine on high-contrast targets (the non-cross line locks on) while on low contrast surfaces you'll get micro-misses then and again.

So I'm happy to be helpful here, though I think after so many threads I'm really through pointing this out, I'm rather happy with my 6d since the iq is really outstanding, and why should I go on trying to point out the hidden flaws and why this camera deserves a far lower price than the 5d3 :)

Regardless of the specs and marketing literature, my user experience with the 6D AF system after 13 months and maybe 30K pictures is that the center point is both precise (repeatable) and accurate, even on low-contrast targets. I've previously owned a T2i(550D) and 7D and rented a 5DII for a vacation (5K pictures) and the 6D's AF is more accurate and precise than any of those. My number of out of focus shots (and micro misses) is very minimal, even viewed at 100%. I found the 7D's AF to be better for fast moving subjects, but not as accurate for single-shot photography, my overall number of focus "misses" was probably 2x or 3x what I am getting with my 6D for non AF-Servo shots. Similar results with the other bodies I used extensively.

I do hope Canon upgrades the AF system on the 6D MkII, but I understand they need to differientiate it from the 5D3 and its successors as well. For the type of photography I do, the 6D is a terrific camera and a very good value.

Upvote 0
Hey guys thanks for all the input on getting a 6D camera & for the 1 year on review, that made it much more clearer.

I'm happy to say I picked up the 6D on Thursday evening & got the 24-105mm F4 L IS USM. Have to say it's a sick camera. ISO & its highest is still good. Low Light focusing & pictures at -3 is great. Good upgrade from my 500D that I own. I got Elements 11 & Lighroom 5 in the box with the camera + a 3 year warranty & the store had the lens discounted by €300 which is great so you could say I saved €500 on this kit with software value at €200 + €300 off the camera till the end of the month + a 3 year warranty. Best buy for me for a long while. Still getting used to the camera.

One question, I edited the "Monochrome" setting to the way i like B&W images to look, and on the screen it has an explanation mark on the M! on the setting. Is that because i edited the basic settings than what Canon would like to be there "ideal" settings?

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi N W O.
Download this manual,
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300009627/01/EOS_6D_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf
Check page 313 C.Fn III-4 Warnings ! in viewfinder.

Cheers Graham.

nowayout88 said:
Hey guys thanks for all the input on getting a 6D camera & for the 1 year on review, that made it much more clearer.

I'm happy to say I picked up the 6D on Thursday evening & got the 24-105mm F4 L IS USM. Have to say it's a sick camera. ISO & its highest is still good. Low Light focusing & pictures at -3 is great. Good upgrade from my 500D that I own. I got Elements 11 & Lighroom 5 in the box with the camera + a 3 year warranty & the store had the lens discounted by €300 which is great so you could say I saved €500 on this kit with software value at €200 + €300 off the camera till the end of the month + a 3 year warranty. Best buy for me for a long while. Still getting used to the camera.

One question, I edited the "Monochrome" setting to the way i like B&W images to look, and on the screen it has an explanation mark on the M! on the setting. Is that because i edited the basic settings than what Canon would like to be there "ideal" settings?

Upvote 0