70-200 f4 L IS USM+1,4X or 70-300 f4-5,6 L IS USM ?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 70-200mm f/4 IS was my first serious lens and I bought it and a 7D for our first safari in South Africa, with great success. That trip turned me on to bird photography and the long search for longer lenses, starting with the 1.4xTC. I am just just in the process of arranging a week's bird and nature photography in Borneo. My wife will take the 100-400mm II + 5DS R, and I'll take the 5DIV + 400mm DO II, with the M5 for wider angle zooms and the 22mm f/2. Salivating at the thought of it.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
The 70-200mm f/4 IS was my first serious lens and I bought it and a 7D for our first safari in South Africa, with great success. That trip turned me on to bird photography and the long search for longer lenses, starting with the 1.4xTC. I am just just in the process of arranging a week's bird and nature photography in Borneo. My wife will take the 100-400mm II + 5DS R, and I'll take the 5DIV + 400mm DO II, with the M5 for wider angle zooms and the 22mm f/2. Salivating at the thought of it.

First, congratulations to AlanF for the equipment !!!
And all the friends of the FORUM, thanks to increased with their answers...the uncertainty! ;D
Jokes aside, I understood that these lenses are both very good.
I think I'll reward the solidity of the 70-300 L IS USM...........................or not?

That's all, folks!

Upvote 0
A few days ago I decided to buy the 70-300 L and I must say that I am very satisfied.

It is solid as a rock (perhaps too…), excellent sharpness (on the full-frame), small size and great versatility.
Between the other using it up to 200mm, the display of the 6D tells me that becomes a f 5.0 and consequently the loss of brightness with respect to 70-200 f4 is truly minimal.

A tiny problem is the hood, rather hard to fit and that soon will ruin the frame… :(

I then ordered the indispensable tripod mount ring C WII because the palm of the left hand goes easily to interfere with the focus ring.
Again, thank you all for the advice.

Upvote 0