7D Mark ii with WiFi/GPS or Without?

As it seems we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7

• With WiFi but no GPS

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • With WiFi and GPS

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • With GPS but no WiFi

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • No GPS and no WiFi

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Give me all the options but allow me to turn them on and off as I choose.

Votes: 45 52.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
I'll take both the WiFi and GPS. As I mentioned in another thread, "computing" is a whole different beast today than it was in fairly recent years past. With all of my current gear, I could definitely use both GPS and WiFi while out photographing birds and wildlife.

If I had the option, I'd set up my Lumia phone as a WiFi hotspot. I'd connect my Surface Pro tablet to my car for power, pop in an extra 128gb memory card, and join the Lumia wifi network along with my trusty 7D II with its fancy wifi and GPS. I'd write a Metro app that would wirelessly receive, archive, convert to JPEG, and (if I was within range of a cell tower), back up my photos to my SkyDrive (just for safe keeping)...all real-time as I'm shooting. Since this is WiFi, I could leave my tablet in the car, and so long as I'm within range for the wireless network to work, I could shoot all day long and never have to worry about my work getting lost, running out of space, etc. When I want to review my shots, rather than poking around on a piddly little 3.2" screen, I haul out my beautiful 10.6" 190ppi tablet and view my work in high def. :eek:

Ah, the wonders of modern technology. 8)

Now, of course, if I'm way out in the boonies somewhere photographing an unholy-rare species of bird miles from any road...this ain't gonna work. I might instead bring along a Surface RT with its immense battery life, and just take that along with me, rather than leaving it in the car. I'd lose the real-time backup, but I'd still have that nice high-def preview capability, and 256gb of space (I rarely use more than about 64gb on any given shoot).

All the while, the camera is automatically tagging my GPS coordinates, so I don't have to spend inordinate HOURS in post geocoding all of my photos...wow, I cannot express how much I hate post-process geocoding...

So...hell yeah! I'll take both, please! ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
expatinasia said:
As it seems, we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7D Mark II to be served?

And would you pay extra for the additional perks like WiFi and GPS?
Give me everything, but give me the option of turning them on or off ... if the camera comes with all the features that Canon Rumors mentioned, I would pay the rumored price tag of around $2200 ... when I bought the 7D I paid $2136 in the middle east (that is the last camera I bought in the middle east ... now I only buy online from US, Japan or Hongkong due to the huge price difference).

Upvote 0
adamdoesmovies said:
And, for that matter, can we please just have the articulating screen already? Anyone that doesn't like it can just LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. Seriously, I've needed one this entire week...and no, I don't want to go buy a dedicated monitor. That's a stupid suggestion.

Huge 1+
Miss this so much with my 60d.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
adamdoesmovies said:
And, for that matter, can we please just have the articulating screen already? Anyone that doesn't like it can just LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. Seriously, I've needed one this entire week...and no, I don't want to go buy a dedicated monitor. That's a stupid suggestion.

Weather sealing a movable part creates a wareable seal...you'ed either have to forego the GUARANTEE that your camera is sealed against a certain amount of weather, or you'ed have to take the darn thing in periodically to get the seals around the articulating screen's hynge checked to make sure they haven't cracked or torn...

I'll forego the articulation myself. I prefer weather sealing I can trust.

Upvote 0
adamdoesmovies said:

That's not a stupid suggestion, that's a valid solution to your problem.

Almost two years with a swivel screen on the 60D, don't think I used it more than once. I'm glad the 5D3 doesn't have that damned thing. I'd rather have a magnesium body and weather sealing than something I'll never use. Just one more thing to break at the most inopportune time.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I was sure there wouldn't be a 7Dll after reading Masaya Maeda's interview. Oops! It's not officially announced yet but I also hope it has an articulating screen. I am going to research using EOS Utility to control the 7D with a Laptop. I think a 13 inch MacBook Pro might be in my future. Maybe a 15 inch would be better. If I got a 17 inch I would need a wheelbarrow when I go out to take pics. ;D

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

bvukich said:
adamdoesmovies said:

That's not a stupid suggestion, that's a valid solution to your problem.

Almost two years with a swivel screen on the 60D, don't think I used it more than once. I'm glad the 5D3 doesn't have that damned thing. I'd rather have a magnesium body and weather sealing than something I'll never use. Just one more thing to break at the most inopportune time.
I agree and disagree, I had a 60D before and loved it whenever I shot video. My video shooting however stretches only to private stuff and some fun for youtube. I was also happy for it on a few occasions when I needed to use liveview holding the camera high for example. On the other hand, since getting my new body I haven't missed it that much and I do agree it's just another thing that can break just when you need the camera the most.

Upvote 0
In my opinion every Canon camera released after Rebel T4i / 650D should have touch screen and every Canon camera released after 6D should have WiFi and GPS (if possible because they will most probably not work behind metal plate). All these features were already included in some model, all are quite cheap and doesn't increase the cost of the device (they are present in every budget smart phone), all are optional (you don't need to use them if you don't want) and all can bring significant value to users who want to use them - ergonomics or workflow improvements.

I'm amateur currently looking for upgrade from my 650D. I love 6D except two disappointments: no touch screen and "only" 97% viewfinder. I will wait for 70D and after that decide which one is better for my needs, skill and budget (in terms of cost/performance ratio).

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
adamdoesmovies said:
I absolutely agree that it is a stupid suggestion to say "go buy a dedicated monitor" just because someone likes/wants a swivel screen ... that's like saying "go buy EOS 1D X" to anyone who wants (the rumored) 10 fps in a 7D II ... for those who don't like/want the swivel screen can always not turn the screen around - just keep the screen in the normal position, that should be a no brainer. For me it sounds stupid when people say that it will break ... I've had the 60D for over 3 years and I use it in extreme dusty desert conditions climbing on rig floors that are very difficult to navigate with camera gear, to make videos of our company's rig moves ... I've even accidently dropped it on the metal rig floors on two occassions with the swivel screen turned to the side, not once did it break ... it has many scratches and small dents on the body but not on the screen ... it still works perfectly. The only way to break it is deliberately throw it with force or twist/pull in the wrong direction.
I am totally for a swivel screen ... it would be awesome on a 7D II

Upvote 0
I think the GPS is a useless addon, provided you have a smartphone + an inexpensive appli like GPS4cam. It offers IMO the same benefits of an integrated GPS. I'd rather like Canon focus on photographic specs rather than these useless peripheral specs, that cost a lot for a very weak added value. The smartphones HAVE a GPS, we have a smartphone always with us, bar.
About the WIFI, this could be differerent, but there is too a dedicated grip... So ? I really do prefer high iso performances for less MP, weather sealing, and a lower price... I'm maybe old fashioned ?

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
But even if you have a smart phone for GPS its still an extra step in post. Which many pros dont have time to do. Far easier to have it integrated and it do it for you.

I would love GPS and WiFi think the possibilities of these new features spread a lot further than what these people with narrow fields of view can think of.

Also the swivel screen, im not a fan simply because of the weakness it creates. But in use they are extremely useful and I would benefit from it, I just dont see Canon putting one in any of its Pro weather sealed products there are a lot of issues to overcome weather sealing a rotating screen that could be reliable. You can get around it but I would rather not have it than it reduce the life of the camera.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Eclectik said:
I think the GPS is a useless addon, provided you have a smartphone + an inexpensive appli like GPS4cam. It offers IMO the same benefits of an integrated GPS. I'd rather like Canon focus on photographic specs rather than these useless peripheral specs, that cost a lot for a very weak added value. The smartphones HAVE a GPS, we have a smartphone always with us, bar.
About the WIFI, this could be differerent, but there is too a dedicated grip... So ? I really do prefer high iso performances for less MP, weather sealing, and a lower price... I'm maybe old fashioned ?
Disagree
I do not belive that an in camera GPS is going to add a lot of cost to the camera. I'd rather have it in camera than pulling out the smart phone, capture the GPS coordinates, identify the image to add the coordinates in post process sounds like too much of a hassle. I subscribe to the idea of have everything but give the users the option to turn them on/off.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
adamdoesmovies said:
Maybe a delicate articulating monitor is an equally stupid suggestion for a supposedly rugged (OK semi-rugged) camera....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
expatinasia said:
As it seems, we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7D Mark II to be served?

And would you pay extra for the additional perks like WiFi and GPS?
1 .I wouldn't pay for gimmicks that I do not want to use:
2. Sealing could be compromised
3. I do not trust Canon to make a camera able to turn them off 100% to avoid battery drain.

Upvote 0

Leejo

Still relearning the same things...
Jul 20, 2012
As far as I am concerened, it's a matter of compromise like everything else.
I assume that both WiFi and GPS can be turned off - that's commonsense to me.
As some have commented I don't think that the components are too costly to affect the price significantly.
I have the 7D and the general robustness, and "reasonable" weather prrofing was one of the important purchasing critieria.
If this can be maintained with all/any of the options WiFi, GPS, Flipscreen then I can personally appreciate them for their their occasional usage, and would factor this into the price consideration.
I appreciate other users may have either none/lower or higher needs for each, depending on their usage.
I think that Canon will however position the 7D Mark II as an allrounder - and if Video is a selling point then the flipscreen sounds feasible.

The question then remains however - what will differentiate this from the 70D? I see the better framerate, focusing, better controls (joystick), better build, and AFMA the difference for now from the 7D over the 60D - at the expense of flipscreen and updated Video. But if can we assume that the 70D comes first - what will that have over the 60D ? I can only assume adding WiFi and GPS in that body (as per 6D equivalence). I can't see them taking away the general Video functions. The sensor could be either only slightly or much improved. If the latter however how will the 7D excel, except for frame rate unless the sensor should be even better.

I guess that we are getting infos on the the 70D and 7D here - the 70D to get the GPS and WiFi and Video Flipscreen - similar to the 6D.
The 7D to get the new sensor, focusing and some upgrades in the Video capabilities - as per 5D Mark III.
Maybe this shows my bias to the 7D - but I simply don't expect that it will have everything - unless this is Canon's attempt at the last answer in that area, and they are going to throw everything in that they can in the current ultimate crop camera...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.