7d mk2 seems very soft?

One thing that i am finding is that the 7D2 is unable to get a lock on smaller subjects, even in spot AF. I compared the 7D2 to the 5D3 AF on the same subjects and even with bright sunlight the 5D3 focus just locks on and stays put. I'm not sure if this is because the AF sensor design is different that the 5D3 or if there is some other problem with the phase detect software.

It's still MUCH improved over the old 7D but I think there is some room for improvement. Hopefully it's just a firmware tweak.

When shooting larger subjects like people, eagles and herons which are fairly large in the frame, the AF has no issues.

Anyone else notice this? Those with 5D3's are better suited to compare.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
East Wind Photography said:
One thing that i am finding is that the 7D2 is unable to get a lock on smaller subjects, even in spot AF. I compared the 7D2 to the 5D3 AF on the same subjects and even with bright sunlight the 5D3 focus just locks on and stays put. I'm not sure if this is because the AF sensor design is different that the 5D3 or if there is some other problem with the phase detect software.

It's still MUCH improved over the old 7D but I think there is some room for improvement. Hopefully it's just a firmware tweak.

When shooting larger subjects like people, eagles and herons which are fairly large in the frame, the AF has no issues.

I have not tried the MK II, but one of the strengths of my original two 7D's was the ability of spot AF to lock on to a subject, even with branches or a chain link fence in the way. I'd be surprised if the new one is worse in that regard.

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
Mt Spokane Photography said:
East Wind Photography said:

I have not tried the MK II, but one of the strengths of my original two 7D's was the ability of spot AF to lock on to a subject, even with branches or a chain link fence in the way. I'd be surprised if the new one is worse in that regard.

I feel it is better than the 7D. I know spot focus is only 1.8% of the screen in the 7DII versus 2.6% in the 7D IIRC. It is much easier to thread the needle now. Well as long as you don't get too ambitious.

Upvote 0
Since my earlier posts to this thread I have been working on my settings with the 7D II. I have learned this is a much different camera than my original 7D. I still have a lot to learn about this camera and am even changing some setting after my results yesterday. The attached photo is one I took yesterday. Results are getting better.

1/1000, 8.0, 320 ISO

Attachments

• IMG_1075 Zoom.jpg
    IMG_1075 Zoom.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Charles.
That looks like a big improvement, I'd speculate that you are
A, very very close to having the camera "dialled in"
B, much happier with the sharpness issue you have going on here! ;D
By the way, Nice shot.

Cheers, Graham.

I am much happier with the camera but still need further adjustments.
I find it interesting that on the old 7D I was able to freeze the majority of the wing action with 1/100 shutter speed. With the same setting on the 7D II I have a lot more motion blur so I am trying 1/1250 next time out.
The biggest challenge is with ISO. On the old 7D I used auto ISO and it worked 90% of the time. With the 7D II it tends to use a higher ISO than necessary and a lot of my shots are over exposed. I am going back to full manual and setting the ISO as I can recover much more out of an under exposed photo compared to what I am getting today.

I still have not done a micro adjustment as I think I am going to buy the new 100 - 400 and will just have that one adjusted.

Upvote 0
CLohmeyerJr said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Charles.
That looks like a big improvement, I'd speculate that you are
A, very very close to having the camera "dialled in"
B, much happier with the sharpness issue you have going on here! ;D
By the way, Nice shot.

Cheers, Graham.

I agree with the '7D2 chose higher ISO than necessary' ... at first, that seemed what it was choosing every time, the highest (rather than best) ISO and SS ... whenever I chose AV. And, was getting 'good shots', but not 'best shots' for the conditions. I switched to max 1600 ISO, and then most often choose ISO and then the settings according to the conditions. Got a lot of shots like I intended once I took away the auto ISO feature. I did not have this problem with the 7D ... I've only had the 7D2 out to really work it a few times tho', so lots to figure out on this camera still. Sure do like it tho' ...

I am much happier with the camera but still need further adjustments.
I find it interesting that on the old 7D I was able to freeze the majority of the wing action with 1/100 shutter speed. With the same setting on the 7D II I have a lot more motion blur so I am trying 1/1250 next time out.
The biggest challenge is with ISO. On the old 7D I used auto ISO and it worked 90% of the time. With the 7D II it tends to use a higher ISO than necessary and a lot of my shots are over exposed. I am going back to full manual and setting the ISO as I can recover much more out of an under exposed photo compared to what I am getting today.

I still have not done a micro adjustment as I think I am going to buy the new 100 - 400 and will just have that one adjusted.

Upvote 0