A Brief Hands On: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
pwp said:
That certainly isn't the prettiest hood on the block but who cares? Will your clients even notice? If the IQ is there as expected, I might finally get a 24-70 that is worth keeping. I've been Mr Unlucky with the 24-70 f/2.8 classic, three copies and all huge disappointments. Right now I use an unexpectedly good 24-105 f/4is as a stop-gap until the 24-70II ships. And I'll be keeping the 24-105 when I get the 24-70II, for some jobs I value it's reach and of course the IS.

PW

+1....after 3 copies - I have no luck with v1. I have alot of hope in v2. If not, 50mm L or 35mm L will be on my purchase list.

Upvote 0
I was at the same show on the same day and played with the same combo and it seemed very well balanced on the 5D3. I also played with it on the 1DX shooting at 14FPS - holy smokes - it nearly jumped out of my hand it is so fast!

Back to the 24-70, as I said it seemed nicely balanced and the zoom/focus rings were smooth. I asked if it was a 'production' model and was told yes. FWIW, I also played with the Tamron 24-70 IS at the same show and the IS seemed very smooth in the view finder and once I turned it off it was shaky - so that is positive. Optically the Canon 24-70 Mk.II will kick its butt.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Just had another think about that unpretty hood as I looked glumly at the gaffer tape holding the hood onto my 24-70 f/2.8 MkI. If the new hood actually stays put like the one on the 70-200 f/2.8isII I'll be thrilled.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I hope the larger top & bottom petals are flat enough to be able to put the lens down face first with the hood on without it falling over. This is handy when changing lenses. Lenses that topple over like the 24 f/1.4II are mildly irritating in this regard. But hey, if the new hood will stay on the lens without gaffa tape much will be forgiven.

PW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.