Here is the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
So I am wondering, is this lens small enough that there isn't a need for a tripod mount? It doesn't look like there is the traditional tripod ring around the lens. Views are only from the top so I guess we will wait and see. I also hope they include the lens hood. It doesn't show one in the pictures....
Correct, small enough it doesn't need a tripod mount.
All L lenses come with a lens hood.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest that you take a black tele-lens to Death Valley in summertime...or to southern Italy.
You'd hope you had taken the white one (personal experience, after a few minutes, I could no longer take pictures).
Sure but this one is almost 50% black, extended even.

Upvote 0
This lens has to be amazing for studio work, which average aperture used with strobes are between 5.6 to 8, this lens will be a killer choice for studio photographers. Light, sharp, fast focus, well balanced. It's gonna be less than the F2.8, which is around $2600, so my guess is that Canon will introduce it at around $1400 then bring it down closer to $1100 in a couple of years

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So I am wondering, is this lens small enough that there isn't a need for a tripod mount? It doesn't look like there is the traditional tripod ring around the lens. Views are only from the top so I guess we will wait and see. I also hope they include the lens hood. It doesn't show one in the pictures....
To be honest, the RF70-200 F2.8 comes with a collar but the only time I use it is when I want to do longer exposure and need to use a tripod. When handholding, I take it off as it's not that heavy and has a reasonable balance. The F4 version looks even smaller & lighter so I wouldn't have thought it will come with a collar and doesn't really need one.

Upvote 0
To be honest, the RF70-200 F2.8 comes with a collar but the only time I use it is when I want to do longer exposure and need to use a tripod. When handholding, I take it off as it's not that heavy and has a reasonable balance. The F4 version looks even smaller & lighter so I wouldn't have thought it will come with a collar and doesn't really need one.
Ive seen at least one professional photographer that uses a 70-200 f4 mounted on the body for landscape work and does not have a tripod collar mounted on the lens. I would never consider using the lens like that. But, I guess it is light enough to work with the f4. Still surprising, though.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
This lens has to be amazing for studio work, which average aperture used with strobes are between 5.6 to 8, this lens will be a killer choice for studio photographers. Light, sharp, fast focus, well balanced. It's gonna be less than the F2.8, which is around $2600, so my guess is that Canon will introduce it at around $1400 then bring it down closer to $1100 in a couple of years
Totally agree, unless you put ND filters, 5.6 to 8 is indeed the usual aperture for flash, and in a studio context a lighter, more compact and less intimidating lens will always be a plus for me. Also less costly :) ! I have ordered the 100-500 as the travel zoom, and paying $2,699 for a 70-200 that will probably get less use and that overlaps with the 24-105 and 100-500 would be hard to justify, whereas one can hope this new one is affordable as you suggest.

Upvote 0
How does the TC work on the 100-500? You have to set the zoom to 300mm and mount the TC i understand. So if the focal length is at 250mm, you cannot even attach the TC or risk damaging the lens? And i suppose once you attached the TC, the lens need to be stored extended, cannot be collapsed.
I don't have a RF TC but I believe the answer to all your questions is yes. See the online reviews which will show you the limitations. I wouldn't store the TC on the lens.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Since you’re using RP, this F4 70200 suits you more
Hum, I do hope you allude to the match in compactness (more below on that) and not "better L lenses are too good for the RP", which would be IMHO some rather harsh words for the RP. In my (many) years of photography, buying great glass for a good body has always outdone buying lesser quality glass for a top notch body. I was using a Digital Rebel 450 in 2007 when I bought my first L, the 70-200 L IS 2.8, and it was amazing (it got better as I evolved to the 5D, etc... but it popped already on the non-pro bodies).
I love the RP because it delivers on the compactness of the mirrorless concept, and with that in mind this new, even more compact 70-200L makes total sense, and optically will probably be as good as the EF version if not better.
With the 24-105 L (or in a pinch the 35mm f:1.8) on one RP and this new 70-200 f:4 on the other, you will be able to walk around all day and take amazing pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
With the 24-105 L (or in a pinch the 35mm f:1.8) on one RP and this new 70-200 f:4 on the other, you will be able to walk around all day and take amazing pictures.

I've gone on several trips so far with just the R5, RF 35mm, and RF 70-200mm f/2.8 and have absolutely loved it. Never felt like I was missing out on anything while enjoying my time off.

The RF 35 is a great little macro lens, a great environmental portrait lens, and an excellent lowlight lens, it's been everything I've needed on the wide end. Then the RF 70-200 2.8 being so small has made me consistently pick it over the 100-400 I have, especially when you can use the 17 mp crop mode on the R5 to get to effectively 320mm.

The RF 70-200 F/4 will only take this set-up a step further in lightening the load--with just this and the RF 35mm you would have a wide angle, a macro lens, lowlight prime, and a telephoto lens that could, with an R5's crop, get you to 320mm all on full frame and contained within a tiny, tiny sling bag or shoulder bag. That would have been just about impossible from any brand before Canon released these lenses.

What a smart accomplishment from Canon, this is excellent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I have the EF 70-200 f/4L IS II and it's a fantastic performing and handling lens, but every time I forget the adapter, I want a native option more... So, as much as I want the 2.8 version, I would be mighty tempted to trade mine in for this.
After having owned the 70-200 IS 2.8 Mk1 for many years I sold it and bought the 70-200 f:4 mk2. Optics, IS and AF were outstanding but it was a large and relatively heavy lens, not much more compact or lighter compared to the 2.8, probably because both designs were internal focus / internal zoom fixed length lenses. This helps maintain image quality and product consistency since there are no potentially compromising barrel lengthening mechanics to deal with, or breathing.
It is interesting that in the RF offering, Canon went a different route and embraced barrel lengthening for all zooms, and for the f:4 version of the 70-200 L have managed to make it more compact than the already compact RF 70-200 L f:2.8.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Aye for a lot of people it doesn't matter, but for me extenders are one of the ways I can justify getting a 70-200. It for most of the time I would use a 1.4x on it or even a 2x(which produces sharp results and fast AF on the Nikon). But a bare 70-200 to me is always used exclusively at 200 as a light lens for bigger animals.... honestly a 200mm fast focusing macro would be a better buy for my use cases. I could focus on a close deer, hedgehog, or right down to a spider with a 200mm macro. The 70-199 part only comes into play when I use it for company events and for weddings.

Agree with you and a 200mm macro makes perfect sense for your use cases. In my case I have always used 100-400L mark ii, sigma 150-600 Sports (I sold this a while ago) and 600 f/4 V1 for wildlife. I never used my 70-200 for any kind of wildlife. I use it if I shoot an event for a friend or family. At the moment thouhg I do not have any Canon bodies so using Sony A7r4 along with Sony 200-600 exclusively for wildlife. That is the best wildlife combo I have had so far. I am hoping the R5 with the Canon lenses would make a better setup. I Will have to wait for a long time to get my hands on a R5 though.

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
I think Canon has us over a barrel. Until a third-party makes a direct RF type lens I think Cannon has us if we like the R cameras. (If you want serious quality.)

I have the 24-70RF L 2.8 and now have a Samyang 85 1.4 RF. I'll tell you RIGHT NOW. There is no comparison between the Canon and the Samyang.

Yes of course the 1.4 gives a bit more separation than the 2.8, but that's about it.

The snappy and accurate focusing on the 24-70 is a joy to use. And because it is native, it works in all phases. While the Samyang is nice once it gets there, you'll need a bit more patience and anticipation to enjoy similar performance. The stabilization does not work in modes outside of full auto. Therefore you need to keep the shutter speed @ or above 1/80th to get sharp photos. Even then, it's not as sharp as the Canon 24-70mm 2.8. (These results are hand held.)

Of course I have to agree with the overall sentiment concerning the price of these RF lenses! (Who among us is Jeff Bezos?)

But I think I'm sending the Samyang back, and I'll just have to wait or bite the bullet and get the Canon RF. Hell, even the 85mm F2 macro would most likely be better.

Upvote 0