A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I always love the disconnect between gearheads in camera communities and the actual market.

A full frame camera under $1000 will sell like absolute hotcakes no matter if it has a 20 megapixel sensor or the "crappy" 26 megapixel sensor from the RP again.

There are vastly more sales of cameras like the M50 from random people walking into a Best Buy or searching "camera" on Amazon than there are people who know anything about how old a sensor is, what a "full frame sensor" is, or even what dynamic range is. If you're going to complain, then clearly the camera isn't for you, it's as simple as that.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Won't hold my breath.

The 6D was supposed to be their FF dSLR but was disappointing in many ways.

The 6D Mk2 was supposed to be better but it was a hobbled by its single card, so so number of pixels and lack of 4K video, and its auto focus cluster was basically dropped in from one of their APSC cameras.
If you can't get a great photo from a 6D, then you need a different hobby/profession. If you're looking for more features, then don't choose the cheapest entry level model.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I recall an interview, now at least a year old, where Canon execs said they planned to introduce models below the then current R and RP, so this is certainly plausible. No EVF says it's not for me, but by now there are at least two generations of photographers out there who have never looked into a viewfinder and Canon needs to get them addicted if the company is going to have any customers in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
F those dynamic range arguments. WAY OVER BLOWN for real world scenarios. you'll almost never need that. It's nice to have but too many cry about it just cause youtubers cry about it.

Huge DR isn't a big deal for an RF Rebel equivalent--but the real world scenario I need it for is architectural assignment photography. Sure you can do multiple exposures for blown out lights, windows, etc--and I do--but huge DR would save me a significant chunk of editing time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I tiny compact FF camera is an excellent idea; Sony are already heading that way with the new soon to be launched A7C.

May be a slightly larger M6 style body to accommodate the bigger sensor, a twisty tilt screen would be nice and with a hot shoe that could take an optional EVF like the M6 that way Canon could still cash in on accessory sales and users would at least have an option of an EVF.

I have always admired the streamline styling of the M6. I’ve never used a plug-on EVF but surely better than no option at all, or even a popup EVF rather than a popup flash.

The last time I used my M5 was last year on a family holiday in Norway before all this Covid madness. I used the EVF for most of my outdoor shots as it was simply too bright to use the back of the screen, although the back of the screen was great later for reviewing images in the shade.

I think Canon will rollout DPAF 2 on all future R models now, history shows once they update their AF system all future models come with the same AF, even entry models, for example the entry M200 in the EOS M range and even the 250D in the aging DSLR range all came with Canons latest AF system. So, I think we can expect better AF in all future Canon changeable lens cameras from now on.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think it's a great idea to get an even less expensive R FF body out there to encourage more people to buy into their system. I assume it'd be in a kit with a very affordable & small lens as well - perfect. I assume it won't have IBIS to keep cost down. Maybe 2 kit versions - one with a non-IS lens and one with an IS lens for 2 different price points.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I think Canon will rollout DPAF 2 on all future R models now, history shows once they update their AF system all future models come with the same AF, even entry models, for example the entry M200 in the EOS M range and even the 250D in the aging DSLR range all came with Canons latest AF system. So, I think we can expect better AF in all future Canon changeable lens cameras from now on.
I guess you are saying that because of DPAF but the DSLRs does not use DPAF when shooting stills with OVF. They had they dedicated focussing mechanism which was not the same across the entire line up. May be Canon will change that following the competition but knowing Canon' history of limiting features to separate the line up I highly doubt they will offer the same AF for stills across the board. I am not saying they should offer the same AF on a camera under $1k and the $6.5k camera they can and they most likely will limit it.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Possibly:

Same sensor as RP or R (26 / 30mpx) because that should now be cheap enough.

DIgic X (or the Digic 9 from the M7?) capable of running animal eye AF with the older sensor.

FPS no different to the R/RP depending on which sensor used.

No IBIS

4K full width

Flash hotshoe compatible with the EFV-DC1/EVF-DC2 viewfinders.

LP-E17 battery

Single UHS-II card slot

A new RF 24-80 f/4-5.6 kit lens

You are greedy :D

Upvote 0