A camera for backpacking into the wilderness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the justification for my purchase of the 6D was to have a lighter FF DSLR to perhaps take on hikes. Time will tell. But it was a nice justification to have on the list to buy the 6D and we all know how important those justifications are when we are trying to decide about purchasing more camera equipment!!

Upvote 0
jrda2 said:
Thanks again for all the great replies in this thread....

It will be me and my 10yr old son. The hike will be remote, but it is regularly travelled by others - we should not be completely alone. I am a very experienced hiker (usually hike 200-300 miles per hiking season and snowshoe in the winter, and always use poles - saved my wrists on many occasions), but this will be the first time I have taken my son on an extended trip like this. He already hikes with me, but up until now only on day hikes. This past season he had no trouble on a 13 mile single day trip. My main concern was controlling camera weight (while trying to preserve IQ as much as possible) since I will be carrying most of the gear. My son will have a water pack and carry some of his own food, but I want to limit his pack weight so that he enjoys the trip. After reading the advice, I am leaning toward taking my 5DII with one lens. I think I will check into the Cotton Carrier too.

Will you be hiking near water sources? If so, bringing a water filter such as the Katadyn Pocket or the Exstream would allow you to significantly reduce your pack weight and not have to worry as much about camera weight. Considering that one gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, that's a lot of other stuff you can bring. I've heard bad things about cheapy plastic filters but the Katadyn Pocket is used by humanitarian aid agencies and U.S. Army troops for reliable drinking water in remote places. There's also the Lifestraw which is an even lighter-weight option, and it seems to be highly regarded. I use the Katadyn Pocket but haven't tried the Lifestraw or Exstream personally.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jrda2 said:
The picture was taken in the Purcell Mountains of British Columbia - a beautiful range extending down into northern Idaho.

Thanks for all the great advice - It sounds like the 40mm will be a good option....and do not worry, my son will be in plenty of the pics. I can just hear him now...."oh come on Dad, do I have to be in another picture?!"

Just curious - no one out there thinks the G1X is a good option compared to the 5DII with a 40mm - the main benefit being you get some different focal lengths with the zoom lens of the G1X. I have read that the IQ of the G1X is comparable to the 7D.
I have the G1X and its a good camera, but I would not want to use it for landscapes when I have a 5D and 40mm lens. The lens on the G1X is just OK, and not cloose to the quality of the 40mm f/2.8.
A FF sensor makes a huge difference too.

Upvote 0
For a variety of reasons including 10mm, the images attached here would not have been possible using anything less than a DSLR and good optics. I cannot imagine coming home having seen these views and having nothing to show for them, or only having cropped views of the same. It all makes it worth it to see these in print and on my walls!

The first image was shot at 500mm of a very distant peak just as a shaft of sun hit below a thunderstorm
The second image is wide open at 10mm
The 3rd image also touches 10mm

Attachments

• Elk-5627.jpg
    Elk-5627.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 952
  • Glacier National Park--2011--9.jpg
    Glacier National Park--2011--9.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,173
  • Meeteetse 2012--10.JPG
    Meeteetse 2012--10.JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 1,154
Upvote 0
I too shoot primarily with a 5d Mark II, but I've gotten tired of carrying it on long hikes and/or having only one lens in order to keep weight down. My solution will be to pick up a Nikon d5200 and add a Sigma 8-16 with either an 18-55 or 18-105. I don't own any Ef-s lenses, so this seems to make just as much sense as buying a Rebel with Ef-s lenses. This should give me image quality comparable to what I get with my 5d2 while allowing both less weight and a lot more focal length flexibility than I'd get with the 5d2 and one lens.

Upvote 0
jrda2 said:
Nice pics Tim. Is the second picture of Iceberg Lk, and what 500mm lens do you use?

It is indeed Iceberg Lake.

I use the sigma 50-500 OS.

I've always loved the lens as I've had 3 iterations of it. The extra reach over my 70-200 2.8 II is significant. I do miss 2.8, though, although the OS helps significantly in lower light.

Upvote 0
jabbott said:
jrda2 said:
Thanks again for all the great replies in this thread....

It will be me and my 10yr old son. The hike will be remote, but it is regularly travelled by others - we should not be completely alone. I am a very experienced hiker (usually hike 200-300 miles per hiking season and snowshoe in the winter, and always use poles - saved my wrists on many occasions), but this will be the first time I have taken my son on an extended trip like this. He already hikes with me, but up until now only on day hikes. This past season he had no trouble on a 13 mile single day trip. My main concern was controlling camera weight (while trying to preserve IQ as much as possible) since I will be carrying most of the gear. My son will have a water pack and carry some of his own food, but I want to limit his pack weight so that he enjoys the trip. After reading the advice, I am leaning toward taking my 5DII with one lens. I think I will check into the Cotton Carrier too.

Will you be hiking near water sources? If so, bringing a water filter such as the Katadyn Pocket or the Exstream would allow you to significantly reduce your pack weight and not have to worry as much about camera weight. Considering that one gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, that's a lot of other stuff you can bring. I've heard bad things about cheapy plastic filters but the Katadyn Pocket is used by humanitarian aid agencies and U.S. Army troops for reliable drinking water in remote places. There's also the Lifestraw which is an even lighter-weight option, and it seems to be highly regarded. I use the Katadyn Pocket but haven't tried the Lifestraw or Exstream personally.

Jabbot...I was about to write the exact same thing. I would also vote for bringing the Katadyn pocket filter along with a pack of purification tablets. This will "free up" several pounds for you to use elsewhere....as long as you know there are streams along the way. You still have to carry water, just not nearly as much.

To answer the OP's original question about just bringing a fifty...I personally think the 50 alone is fine....or you could pair it with a wider prime like the 28mm 2.8. Both very light, portable, and great IQ.

In case you haven't heard of the Katadyn.....

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-Pocket-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U00YE

Upvote 0

charlesa

I shoot with my eye!
Jul 1, 2012
Europe
www.charlespaulazzopardi.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd take your 5D MK II and a 40mm f/2.8. That combination is small and reasonably light. Save your $$$ for a future camera upgrade. Small format sensors will lack the detail you want for landscapes.

Have to second Spokane on this one...

Upvote 0
OK, Wow. I looked at the Katadyn Water MicroFilter Link and OMG! Almost $400 list price and $275 on Amazon! Then I read a few of the lengthy and glowing 117 x 5 Star reviews. What a great filter! It's like the L Lens of Water Filters. One thing I couldn't figure out - is the pump single or dual stage? (Pumps on single or dual strokes.)

Upvote 0
Eos-M? I might be wrong, but fast autofocus isn't that important when doing landscape, i guess? The 22 prime would get you far, and an adapter and 10-22? Hell, Eos-M body plus EF-M 22mm prime plus EF-M 18-55mm zoom plus the EOS M adapter weighs in at 29.1 oz together, leaving ample space for a 10-22 if you like, with much more flexibility. Put the 22 prime on and off you go!

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
OK, Wow. I looked at the Katadyn Water MicroFilter Link and OMG! Almost $400 list price and $275 on Amazon! Then I read a few of the lengthy and glowing 117 x 5 Star reviews. What a great filter! It's like the L Lens of Water Filters. One thing I couldn't figure out - is the pump single or dual stage? (Pumps on single or dual strokes.)

rusty...I have one in my "emergency" kit that I keep in the basement...just in case. but so far, it's just got me lots of "eye rolls" from my wife because she knows how much it cost.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
RustyTheGeek said:

rusty...I have one in my "emergency" kit that I keep in the basement...just in case. but so far, it's just got me lots of "eye rolls" from my wife because she knows how much it cost.

Sounds like you are prepared! If there's an emergency here, I'll go to the storm room and crawl into my big safe with a few (pre-filtered) beers & Cheetos + an iPod and hope I never have to poop or pee ever again. Oh and maybe a camera to record the apocalypse afterward (until the battery dies) assuming there will be any way to ever access or use the digital images.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Northstar said:
RustyTheGeek said:

Mine is 30 years old.... on the third filter element, and still going strong.... it sees about 30 days use per year.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't leave the poles at home.... if you are carying all the gear you may need them for balance... or saving the knees on the way downhill...

When I pack for summer trips it is:
Ultralight tent, ultralight down sleeping bag, 3/4 length thermarest...
rainjacket and pants, fleece pullover, spare socks and underwear.....
MSR stove and one pot, a cup, a spoon, and a pair of chopsticks. (I eat out of the pot)
Dehydrated food, water filter, and 3 litre camelback
assorted stuff like first aid kit, flashlight, etc etc.
60D camera with 18-200 lens, sometimes a 400f5.6 if conditions permit.

It is the food that is the big weight savings. I prepare my food at home and dehydrate it. While hiking all I have to do is boil water, drop in the food, stir it, and turn the stove off. Let it sit for 10 minutes, bring it back to a boil, and eat. You use a minimumum amount of fuel (more weight savings) cooking is quick and simple, no burnt mess on pots... and you don't need lots of kitchen utensils to prepare it... just a pair of chopsticks to stir with.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Don Haines said:
I wouldn't leave the poles at home.... if you are carying all the gear you may need them for balance... or saving the knees on the way downhill...

When I pack for summer trips it is:
Ultralight tent, ultralight down sleeping bag, 3/4 length thermarest...
rainjacket and pants, fleece pullover, spare socks and underwear.....
MSR stove and one pot, a cup, a spoon, and a pair of chopsticks. (I eat out of the pot)
Dehydrated food, water filter, and 3 litre camelback
assorted stuff like first aid kit, flashlight, etc etc.
60D camera with 18-200 lens, sometimes a 400f5.6 if conditions permit.

It is the food that is the big weight savings. I prepare my food at home and dehydrate it. While hiking all I have to do is boil water, drop in the food, stir it, and turn the stove off. Let it sit for 10 minutes, bring it back to a boil, and eat. You use a minimumum amount of fuel (more weight savings) cooking is quick and simple, no burnt mess on pots... and you don't need lots of kitchen utensils to prepare it... just a pair of chopsticks to stir with.

WOW! A minimalist...like me!..I basically carry all the same camping gear except I skipp the pot and carry only one titanium cup..(eat out of the food packets),plus solar charger for my iPod mini. Lol!
I have a complete Canon kit...but that all stays at home especially when I go out for more than an overnight. I bring a Micro Four Thirds kit with me. ...not even my Olympus OMD (too heavy)...but my Panasonic GX1 (really light weight!), a viewfinder, with the best primes....there is nothing worse than being out on a three or four-nighter with too much weight on your back...no fun! I am anxiously awaiting a good quality long tele prime from Oly or Pany to bump the quality up on the long end a little...but everything in that kit is great and makes an incredibly great compromise to help save this old man's weary bones! :)

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Single. Keep in mind it doesn't filter viruses, so if you are traveling somewhere that has severely contaminated water, you'll want to use purification tablets (such as Micropur) as well.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
How about Canon SX50 HS (24-1200mm zoom range, with very good image quality in good light) ... I've never used this camera but was thinking of getting one for hikes, Sink hole climbs etc ... seen some interesting reviews on youtube ... a canon rumors member (dilbert) had posted a convincing review from luminous landscape
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12154.msg230986#msg230986

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.