A Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM is on the way [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
These threads are like when a child gets told Santa is going to bring them something nice and that's it...
Jack

Always a recipe for disaster. For children it lets their imaginations run wild to the point that it soon outstrips any parents' ability to pay or provide whatever magical unicorn they dream of. For Canon Rumors forum readers, it lets their imaginations run wild to the point that it soon outstrips Canon's ability to provide whatever magical unicorn forum readers dream of. The final result is always the same...disappointment when the actual toy appears under the tree.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Always a recipe for disaster. For children it lets their imaginations run wild to the point that it soon outstrips any parents' ability to pay or provide whatever magical unicorn they dream of. For Canon Rumors forum readers, it lets their imaginations run wild to the point that it soon outstrips Canon's ability to provide whatever magical unicorn forum readers dream of. The final result is always the same...disappointment when the actual toy appears under the tree.
My thoughts precisely. It makes it tough even for us realists because we get caught up in it, even if we're consciously trying not to!;)

Jack

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I can't think of what the unique feature would be. A Switchable 1.4 & 2.0X teleconvertor - do people mean built in. That would push the price of the lens through the roof. I have the EF 300mm 2.8 II and its a most beautiful lens. Given its size the weight is reasonable but the picture quality is great. I use it alot on a 7DII (the 7DII - I'm not a huge fan off but works very well with a 300 2.8 II). Sport looks great with it. I'd highly recommend it as your first big white. I have the 600 F4II as well but its just a beast. I compare that to an an aircraft carrier. You have to bring so much gear with it (sturdy tripod, gimbal head, special bag etc).
I assume the RF version will be every bit as good. I'm not sure it needs anything fancy to go with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I can't think of what the unique feature would be. A Switchable 1.4 & 2.0X teleconvertor - do people mean built in. That would push the price of the lens through the roof. I have the EF 300mm 2.8 II and its a most beautiful lens. Given its size the weight is reasonable but the picture quality is great. I use it alot on a 7DII (the 7DII - I'm not a huge fan off but works very well with a 300 2.8 II). Sport looks great with it. I'd highly recommend it as your first big white. I have the 600 F4II as well but its just a beast. I compare that to an an aircraft carrier. You have to bring so much gear with it (sturdy tripod, gimbal head, special bag etc).
I assume the RF version will be every bit as good. I'm not sure it needs anything fancy to go with it.
I agree. To make it special they have to keep it as small and as light as possible. Anything fancy like embedded teleconverters will increase the weight and sie. Not to mntion the price.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The current 300/2.8 II is a really great lens, and I got great use from mine. It's not quite as popular as it was since the introduction of the 400mm DO II, which, according to Art Morris, has pushed its used price down in the birding community. I personally would prefer a lightweight 300mm f/4 DO to rival Nikon's 300mm f/4 PF, which a very desirable lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The 200-400 1.4X is very heavy at my opinion. it is heavier than the 500mm 4 II !! Of course its functionality/purpose is different but the weight difference is real.

The versatility is worth the additional weight in some situations. This is a great safari lens. Pop on a 2x TC III and you have a 400-800 zoom @f8 with decent IQ.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0