A high megapixel camera is coming [CR2]

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Better late than never. Lets hope they nail its like the 5dsR!
R3 body please :)

75mp is perfect - give us 15+ stops & posibly 4k30fps if I ever needa grab a rare quick video for an architect. Just dont leave it too late or i'll be jumping to the GFX. This will also be a pre-release purchase for me just like the 5dsR that was a good investment for 7-8+ year life cycle

Will be using my DSRLs until this comes out.. keep the TS-E lens - possibly grab a 24 100 RF zoom, then the 100-500 that looks mouth watering..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Maybe, but I think the R1 is still some way off. I also think there's a possibility at least, that the R1 will be a dual-resolution camera, switchable between hi-res (80MP?) at low burst speeds, or uncropped lo-res (20MP?) with fast burst speeds and small file sizes. I'm no expert on the technicalities, but perhaps quad-pixel might allow this?
It theoretically can.
The camera you described is the OM-1 but that interestingly achieves 80 MP through pixel shift instead of using the quad Bayer resolution.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Not everyone, including pros, can afford to buy two of the latest generation of cameras. Many will place greater importance on buying extra (or better) lenses, and will often have one high end body, plus a cheap RP or R as an emergency backup.

But for those who *can* afford two hi-end bodies, it can make a lot of sense if they are identical. There will be many people who want a pair of identical bodies that can serve both for ultra hi-res and action, by simply switching resolution modes. The controls and operation of both bodies will be identical, eliminating any muscle-memory issues.

And, if one of those bodies fails or has to go in for service, you can still shoot any type of project with the identical second body. If you have two different bodies, that may not be possible.
Spot on... Our staff has 3 bodies with them. Norm is to wear two, with two different lenses and the 3rd is the backup- If the r1 Becomes a reality. Every kit will have 3 R1's in them

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Using the "pixel" tech in EOS 90D/M6 Mark II should lead to about 82Mp. But we're used to see Canon making specific decisions/conceptions on new products, so maybe 75Mp could also be the right guess.
That sensor has a really slow readout speed, even in the cropped, 10-bit capture mode on the M6II you still get severe rolling shutter artefacts.
While I would appreciate the resolution bump, I wouldn't trade in my R5 for a camera with such a sensor.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Why do people want more than 50 mpex on 35mm? Honest question. Thx.
Capturing as much detail as possible per shot is one use case, like for landscape photography.

The other prominent one is birds/wildlife, where it is advantageous to capture sufficient detail to allow deep crops while having the wider FF framing in the EVF for easier tracking.

Not to mention that with the exception of the 7D series, APS-C Canon bodies are lacking in terms of ergonomics compared to FF ones. So getting the reach of APS-C (which in reality is just the reach of high density sensors, rather than any particular sensor size) with FF ergonomics seemingly will require the purchase of a high res FF body.

It will be interested how the R7 fits into this situation, if and when it releases.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why do people want more than 50 mpex on 35mm? Honest question. Thx.
Having had an H6d 100C here for a while with an HTS1.5 tilt/shift adapter, I'm rather liking working with 100MP images on occasions
So, yes please - for my 5Ds replacement as well, since the H6D will be going back to Hasselblad at some point
I sometimes stitch multiple 5Ds shots to get resolution - it would be nice to have more available in one shot (oh, and some new T/S lenses as well ;-) )

75 and well implemented sensor shift high res would be nice - I really liked the S1R when I had one here to test

I appreciate it's not something many want, but I've never stepped up in resolution with a new camera and thought 'that's too much'

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0