A new RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is coming

Feb 21, 2020
I also prefer external zoom because of the lower profile and lighter weight, since I use it to shoot theatre handheld without the collar.

Not sure where these balance complaints are coming from, it's nothing that can't be overcome through getting used to with regular use, or by using a monopod which sports shooters are doing anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think you should check the prices for handgrips before you decide to look for it.
I now did; roughly 400€, I was thinking much more ahahha but still, it's 2 to 3 months worth of food, depending on how cheap train ticket I find to go there (too far to go by bike unfortunately), so it's definitely feasible ;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If it's Leica stuff, then I'm going to look for it; if I resell it I can surely make up for the search cost, and likely buy food for the next 6 months :cool:
Keep dreaming!
I know in which condition my grip was. You'd be happy to get a pizza romana and a bottle of the cheapest Valpolicella for it. Good luck living on that for the next 6 months...
Minus the cost for the Pradalago funivia. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I now did; roughly 400€, I was thinking much more ahahha but still, it's 2 to 3 months worth of food, depending on how cheap train ticket I find to go there (too far to go by bike unfortunately), so it's definitely feasible ;)
Wrong!
New, it costs Euro 240. Almost brandnew, like the one I just ordered from Leica Italia, Euro 150.
So, even if you find it, you'll have to hunger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I also prefer external zoom because of the lower profile and lighter weight, since I use it to shoot theatre handheld without the collar.

Not sure where these balance complaints are coming from, it's nothing that can't be overcome through getting used to with regular use, or by using a monopod which sports shooters are doing anyway.
I find almost everything has a simple and easy solution. The problem is a lot of people are stubborn and I think they enjoy complaining more than getting the satisfaction of overcoming their problems

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I find almost everything has a simple and easy solution. The problem is a lot of people are stubborn and I think they enjoy complaining more than getting the satisfaction of overcoming their problems
Some people complain about weight, others about lack of weight, indeed a hard task for companies to have everybody satisfied. Whenever I look at the Amazon product ratings, no matter how excellent a product is, there's always the odd one who complains. Even "because" a Makita 10,8 volt battery doesn't fit an 18 volt hammer-drill.
Nevertheless, I can surely understand why a professional sports or news photographer can prefer the non-extending zoom shape. And that's why we now can choose which one suits us best!

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Pros just want/need things to work. In the video that was posted earlier in the thread the RF lens simply didn’t suit their needs so they went back to the EF version. Their criticisms of the lens were more than valid for their use case. It’s possible the Canon agrees with them if this rumour is true.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Count me among the owners who prefer the compact size and lighter weight of the extending zoom.

If this is the 'MkII' lens that has been discussed recently I agree that it may not really be a MkII, though I don't know what Canon would end up calling it otherwise. Add an 'N' for new? Add 'IZ' for internal zoom? I'm sure they'll come up with something.

If this happens, it would clearly provide more evidence that Canon listens to its customer base. Of course, it's manifestly obvious that they do, not that such evidence will sway those who somehow can't accept that Canon doesn't listen to them personally, as they complain here.
Me same.

Upvote 0
You can live two or three months for less than 400?

Of just food? yes, I do, If you buy fresh food (meaning raw materials; nothing pre-assemled or pre cooked), and cook it yourself; I shop once a week at Lidl, and rarely spend more then 50€.
Of course any extra (home delivery, eating out, etc) is not contemplate.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Count me among the owners who prefer the compact size and lighter weight of the extending zoom.

If this is the 'MkII' lens that has been discussed recently I agree that it may not really be a MkII, though I don't know what Canon would end up calling it otherwise. Add an 'N' for new? Add 'IZ' for internal zoom? I'm sure they'll come up with something.

If this happens, it would clearly provide more evidence that Canon listens to its customer base. Of course, it's manifestly obvious that they do, not that such evidence will sway those who somehow can't accept that Canon doesn't listen to them personally, as they complain here.

Same... mostly. The fact that you can't use an extender on the RF version kept me from buying it for a LONG time. And I get that some people don't like the placement of the rings, especially coming from the EF version. I'm still getting used to it, and the zoom feels a lot stickier and hard to turn. Not sure if that's due to external vs. internal zoom, or if my 10-year-old EF version has loosened up, but I definitely missed a few shots I would've nailed with the old lens the first few times i used the RF version.
All that said, I've pretty much stopped using my extender anyway, since with the R5 I'd rather shoot at 2.8 and fast shutter speed and just crop, and like you said, the compactness of the RF version is life-changing. It's so nice to be able to pack my smaller bag on shoots.

Upvote 0

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
Seeing some of us do have special needs. Would be a pity, if my three RF 2.8 L lenses would be outdated after three years.
Would be more pleased to see some customer solution around 600mm, like 200-600mm. But this would never happen, as someone mentioned in the past.
Spending 15000 Euros for an RF 600mm L version will be done in some years, when there will be an sharper MK II.

If Canon listens: Pleeeeaaaaase: 800mm 6.3 around 7500 Euro... (Nikon Z8 & 800 6.3 is an wonderful combination - for under 12000 Euro. A friend owns it brandnew and it is a pleasure to use)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Of just food? yes, I do, If you buy fresh food (meaning raw materials; nothing pre-assemled or pre cooked), and cook it yourself; I shop once a week at Lidl, and rarely spend more then 50€.
Of course any extra (home delivery, eating out, etc) is not contemplate.
This means no French wines, no champagne, no roquefort, no gorgonzola, no oysters, no scallops, no Perigord truffles, no bresaola, no chapon de Bresse, no armagnac, no pralines, no sushi, no chili con carne, no choucroute garnie...
A really Spartan life! Wow! :)
Edit: and no Lugana Ca. dei Frati either (gaaasp)!
Edit II: and no gewurztraminer vendanges tardives :cry:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This means no French wines, no champagne, no roquefort, no gorgonzola, no oysters, no scallops, no Perigord truffles, no bresaola, no chapon de Bresse, no armagnac, no pralines, no sushi, no chili con carne, no choucroute garnie...
I am an ascetic and can live without that indulgence. I would have instead New World Wines, English Champagne, Cheddar Cheese, Dover Sole, Halibut, Turbot, Welsh lamb, English Roast Beef, Indian curry, Chinese cuisine, Single Malt Scotch...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I am an ascetic and can live without that indulgence. I would have instead New World Wines, English Champagne, Cheddar Cheese, Dover Sole, Halibut, Turbot, Welsh lamb, English Roast Beef, Indian curry, Chinese cuisine, Single Malt Scotch...
You just named some of my own favourites...
Only (please!) sustract to the list the English champagne and most New World Wines,"oaked to death" or "Parkerised".
I had some superb meals in Britain, especially English fish, Welsh lamb, Scottish haggis and Ardbeg. Sadly, many continental Europeans are still convinced British food is unedible...

Upvote 0

I used to drink; I'm not friend of Bill, but now don't drink anymore.

No fish (I'm a scuba diver; it's like a jockey eating horse meat, I don't do it), meat once or twice a week some poultry, eggs, lot of fruit and vegetables, and pasta of course, I'm Italian after all. Cheese yes, I love Gorgonzola, it's my favourite cheese but I rarely eat as it has too many calories (I'm a cyclist, too!), but I eat lot of ricotta which is cheap and light, and often Mozzarella light, but without exaggerating because still has calories. I like meat and I eat it, but 80% of what I eat is basically a vegetarian diet. Low meat, no fish, no alcohol, you see why I can be pretty cheap in the store.

Let's get back on topic, it all started with a joke about your handgrip, but I'm pretty sure no one's interested in my monthly budget and what is there in my fridge ;) RF it's too expensive, GO EF! 70-200 non-IS rules :alien:

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I had the impression that English 'Champagne' was generally more expensive than the French original, and so a proper ascetic would probably save their pence by consuming the original. Until, obviously, climate change wrecks the Champagne region, and we all shift our attention to the south of England (or Tasmania in the case of Australians).

Upvote 0