A7rii vs 5DSr, look and noise level

Sep 13, 2011
Hi guys, I'm just dropping in to say I shot a wedding yesterday and my second had a Sony A7rii.

Firstly that silent shutter is SEXY - But, the Noise levels are roughly the same until ISO3200 and then the 5DSr takes the lead. The A7rii is about a stop worse above ISO3200 than the 5DSr.

Further, correctly exposed images appear to be more pleasing from the 5Dsr. Nothing wrong with the A7 files they just appear warmer and a little less defined. Good files though.

At some point I'll do a full vs, but we were looking at real world use more than gravel pits that were 5 stops under exposed. ;)

Mar 2, 2012
wockawocka said:
Hi guys, I'm just dropping in to say I shot a wedding yesterday and my second had a Sony A7rii.

Firstly that silent shutter is SEXY - But, the Noise levels are roughly the same until ISO3200 and then the 5DSr takes the lead. The A7rii is about a stop worse above ISO3200 than the 5DSr.
If he was using silent shutter, he was necessarily penalizing his photos, as the A7R2 reduces precision to 12-bits in that mode.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
wockawocka said:
Damn that's unfortunate for those who didn't realise that when ordering.

It is unfortunate, although common among all A7 cameras. It's also covered in the user guide, which is freely available. I knew about it going in. Buyer beware!

traveller said:
Why would dropping to 12-bit increase noise? Increased risk of posterization and artifacts, I can understand, but noise? Perhaps someone can explain?

I don't think it necessarily increases noise. Rather it lowers the saturation point, so noise is relatively higher.

Jim here says it increases noise, but if you look at the y axis, it's measures in levels beneath FWC.

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11142

Upvote 0