A7S iii overheating

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Next youtuber will claim the opposite. :D

Why the 'buy buy Sony' bitching? Both Sony and Canon will stay around, as well as other brands. Fortunately! There would be much less advance without competition.

Sony is useful for keeping Canon on its toes, but personally, I will never own any product of theirs ever again, and I'd love to see them go bankrupt (but first be replaced by someone else who can keep Canon on its toes).

Upvote 0
Next youtuber will claim the opposite. :D

Why the 'buy buy Sony' bitching? Both Sony and Canon will stay around, as well as other brands. Fortunately! There would be much less advance without competition.
First of all its bye bye not buy buy , and it was made in reference to their latest camera not Sony as a company , Sony fan boys have had weeks of stirring over the R5 and R6 , so I thought a bit of light banter back wouldn't do no harm , considering the new camera from Sony suffers the same heating issue .

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My 11-year-old Sony TV is going great, and I have a Sony product in most rooms in my house. They just don't make a camera I'm interested in. I looked at one of their small cameras as a possible replacement for my G7X II, but they made the lens slower and zoom farther, the opposite of what I need for travel.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Wow. A 'completely' unbiased review. And the results are pretty even. If you were a video shooter it would not be an easy decision between the two and would very much depend on particular circumstances you are likely to find your self in. I think the decision is a no brainer if you are a hybrid shooter though. the 12mp sensor on the sony is just too low res

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Generally, I consider Sony to be the leader in video. Canon is the leader in broadcast lenses and Fujinon is right there. Even Canon advertisements for their broadcast lenses show them on Sony cameras.

So what's surprising is that Canon has upped their game to be competitive with Sony, at least in the mirrorless camera world. Like others who have owned Sony cameras in the past, I had failures that had crazy costs to fix, or the product was unable to be fixed. Sony has been working to change that, but I'm still leery and have not bought one in at least 15 years. I do have some old broken ones in my scrap box. I need to toss them, at one time, I thought I might use some parts. Maybe there are some good screws in them that will work when I need a tiny one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if these guys have any experience with Sony Alpha cameras? Both reviewers left the Auto Pwr Temp Off to Standard.

The first video claims the camera froze when it was set to Auto Pwr Off set to HIGH and corrupted his memory card, so he left it to standard and it "overheated" before the Canon cameras. Yes, my A73 will get into an overheat position way before the 90mins I get if the setting is set to standard. But it has never corrupted my memory cards or frozen the camera, so there must be something with his pre-production unit as just about all others tests from Gerald Undone to Northrup to Kai were getting significantly more runtime.

The second video was kind of cagey until later he admitted he left the camera to Standard as well. Yes, 20 mins will trigger a warning and a shutdown soon after. I'm sure this get clicks and ad revenue, but leaves their testing methodology in doubt.

With all of the drama surrounding overheating these days, I'm not sure Sony would claim at least an hour in 4k60 and 30mins in 4k120 if those were not WAY MORE CONSERVATIVE than what it could do in real world tests. They must realize that if one of its biggest selling features are no good, then the product might find itself having no real reasons to exist..

Well, I pre-ordered anyways, so I'm all-in one way or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'm wondering if these guys have any experience with Sony Alpha cameras? Both reviewers left the Auto Pwr Temp Off to Standard.

The first video claims the camera froze when it was set to Auto Pwr Off set to HIGH and corrupted his memory card, so he left it to standard and it "overheated" before the Canon cameras. Yes, my A73 will get into an overheat position way before the 90mins I get if the setting is set to standard. But it has never corrupted my memory cards or frozen the camera, so there must be something with his pre-production unit as just about all others tests from Gerald Undone to Northrup to Kai were getting significantly more runtime.

The second video was kind of cagey until later he admitted he left the camera to Standard as well. Yes, 20 mins will trigger a warning and a shutdown soon after. I'm sure this get clicks and ad revenue, but leaves their testing methodology in doubt.

With all of the drama surrounding overheating these days, I'm not sure Sony would claim at least an hour in 4k60 and 30mins in 4k120 if those were not WAY MORE CONSERVATIVE than what it could do in real world tests. They must realize that if one of its biggest selling features are no good, then the product might find itself having no real reasons to exist..

What I find the most 'humorous' is that the only thing that mattered prior to the release of the R5 and 6 was dynamic range and the overheating of sonys was never an issue for sony shooters. Now apparently dynamic range is not a deciding factor but overheating is the big factor. Whereas the reality is that DR was never an issue and that if you seriously think a camera is for video then you should get a damn video camera. Nor a stills camera that shoots video. Either way these both look like pretty damn good cameras. Especially now that sony seem to have learnt that ergonomics matter

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012

When I hear about these Auto Pwr Off settings, I start I wonder if the limits on the Canon R5 are purely artificial and driven by software in the camera? In other words, could this recording and overheating issue be fixed via firmware updates?

On the flip side, when you adjust the Power settings on the Sony, could it be that you’re actually damaging the camera over time and may not see the internal damage that may be emerging within the camera in years to come? It also seems quite strange when you see the massive difference in record times between these two Power settings.

Either Canon is being too conservative with their settings and they need to modify these with firmware updates, or Sony is willing to let their cameras “toast” with underlying damage years later?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
When I hear about these Auto Pwr Off settings, I start I wonder if the limits on the Canon R5 are purely artificial and driven by software in the camera? In other words, could this recording and overheating issue be fixed via firmware updates?

On the flip side, when you adjust the Power settings on the Sony, could it be that you’re actually damaging the camera over time and may not see the internal damage that may be emerging within the camera in years to come? It also seems quite strange when you see the massive difference in record times between these two Power settings.

Either Canon is being too conservative with their settings and they need to modify these with firmware updates, or Sony is willing to let their cameras “toast” with underlying damage years later?

Ideally there'd be "green" "yellow" and "red" stages (and maybe there are), with yellow meaning, "you should let the camera cool down now, and hope you'll slow down now, but we won't stop you from taking that picture of a lifetime" and red meaning "the situation is now critical, and doing anything at all will cause permanent harm to the camera, so we won't let you." And of course both stages should be based on the actual temperature of the camera, not on a timer.

For all I know, that's exactly what Canon did.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah, so now we have a situation where Canon is damned for what it does in a contrived scenario, whereas Sony, which actually did worse in that same contrived scenario with a camera that should have had an easier time handling it, is given a pass because it's a contrived scenario.

What a bunch of lousy stinking hypocrites, but that's part of the job description for Sony and its mymidons on the internet, apparently.

Upvote 0