A7S iii overheating

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Yeah, so now we have a situation where Canon is damned for what it does in a contrived scenario, whereas Sony, which actually did worse in that same contrived scenario with a camera that should have had an easier time handling it, is given a pass because it's a contrived scenario.

What a bunch of lousy stinking hypocrites, but that's part of the job description for Sony and its mymidons on the internet, apparently.
...and in the same order of thoughts, the R6's 20MP is lousy but the A7S III 12MP is "OK".
I don't know what Sony minions are on but I'd like some of that!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
...and in the same order of thoughts, the R6's 20MP is lousy but the A7S III 12MP is "OK".
I don't know what Sony minions are on but I'd like some of that!

I would prefer to avoid whatever it is they are on; I like my mind to function properly. Plus I suspect it causes permanent mental damage.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
When I hear about these Auto Pwr Off settings, I start I wonder if the limits on the Canon R5 are purely artificial and driven by software in the camera? In other words, could this recording and overheating issue be fixed via firmware updates?

On the flip side, when you adjust the Power settings on the Sony, could it be that you’re actually damaging the camera over time and may not see the internal damage that may be emerging within the camera in years to come? It also seems quite strange when you see the massive difference in record times between these two Power settings.

Either Canon is being too conservative with their settings and they need to modify these with firmware updates, or Sony is willing to let their cameras “toast” with underlying damage years later?

I wonder about this as well, but the manual clearly says that adjusting this setting may or may not actually change the recording time (although it does). I know heat will definitely affect the IQ/FPN and is why larger cine cams need to black balance based on the ambient temps and frame rates. At the same time, I got my A7III literally the day it was released and I have shot a TON of footage indoors, outdoors, under the sun on the camera and I've had this camera for more than 2+ years. I'm at the point where it is so easy for me to see the IQ difference between it and the R3 even if it isn't side by side.. Yet, I haven't noticed any degradation in the image so far or had any issues with the camera.

The only thing I have noticed and it is so minor you really have to live in the Sony ecosystem long enough to notice, is that occasionally when you turn off the camera, the shutter takes a few moments to close. It is running a pixel re-map. Normally it is said to happen about once a month or longer, but it appears it may be happening now every 3 weeks or so.

In terms of the R5, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Canon may want to protect its cinema line with its decision. Maybe it is as simple as a firmware update. But if it runs so well, perhaps there is little incentive to move up. Nobody knows exactly but Canon has consistently managed to grow or maintain its market share in the stills market up to now, so I don't know what formula it has applied to the R5/R6 release.

I commonly upgrade my bodies every 2.5-3 years or so, and if say Sony decided that a camera might have possible image degradation or issues after 4-5 years if you constantly run it in high temps on average, I can't say for certain I would run into them..

Upvote 0
Either Canon is being too conservative with their settings and they need to modify these with firmware updates, or Sony is willing to let their cameras “toast” with underlying damage years later?
Yes: but you're not expected to still be using the same Sony camera years later - you're meant to buy the next updated version 12-18 months later... so, any longer-term damage isn't your problem anyway. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes: but you're not expected to still be using the same Sony camera years later - you're meant to buy the next updated version 12-18 months later... so, any longer-term damage isn't your problem anyway. ;)

The same logic Detroit used to build cars that turned into junk in only a couple of years...a few decades ago. You weren't supposed to notice because everyone bought a new car every couple of years.

Sony, of course, is aimed at people who want that feeling of owning the bleeding edge of technology, which means customers who will drop $$$ repeatedly, chasing a moving target.

I buy cars and keep them til they die, which means I want a solidly built car. Same with cameras. If that means a bit of conservatism in the engineering--good!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Sony is useful for keeping Canon on its toes, but personally, I will never own any product of theirs ever again, and I'd love to see them go bankrupt (but first be replaced by someone else who can keep Canon on its toes).

I wish Nikon made their own sensors. I think they could be that competitor. Their innovations got pretty boring when they got into Sony sensors, most of their leading tech is just the sensor and now they are not leading.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0