Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
I'm really excited about the prospects of the new dehaze feature as I'm shooting backlit subjects a lot and the lens hood is often not long enough to prevent the "low contrast of doom" look. And I've even trained the "extend arm and hold hand/thumb in front of sun" method :-> but this is only possible if the angle is just right or you'll end up having your own hand in the frame.

Here's some information: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-photoshop-defog-dehaze.html ... and get your CC trial/update here w/o Adobe's stupid downloader: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-direct-download-links.html#more-62448

Keep your fingers crossed that the new feature will work as promised, It'll take me some time to get out older "rejected" shots and try to recover them.

Edit: removed nagging about me being faster than Mr. CR :p

keithfullermusic said:
where are all the people talking about how CC is a terrible idea/value and how adobe will never update their products?

I like by his "carrot" approach better than just getting beaten with the stick. As long as they leave Lightroom as a stand-alone purchased product It is ok with me if they want to roll out improvemens mid-Cycle that go to the cloud product first. Entice people to come over voluntarily, rather than lashing them and driving them in terror before your elephants

I do think it would be shabby if they create two different Lightroom products, by never ever rolling out improvements to the non-cloud version.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
keithfullermusic said:
where are all the people talking about how CC is a terrible idea/value and how adobe will never update their products?

OK, I'll step in on this one. I think this is a bit of a straw man argument: no one said exactly this, it's a bit more subtle. Personally, I think it's fine that they offer CC subscriptions; however, I ALSO want to be able to buy a perpetual license that doesn't get these major upgrades unless I choose to pay for them.

As for value, remember that CC pricing has already fluctuated quite a bit: it was announced at (I believe) $50/month, then they offered an "introductory rate" of $30/month, and are warning that that will expire soon, with the rate going back to $50/month.

For people (or businesses) whose jobs depend on CC tools, this is a reasonable deal. For amateurs and part-time pros who don't need the latest/greatest, it's a kick in the stomach.

Finally, I think a consumer software license should work like ownership of a camera: if I sell my old Canon body, Canon doesn't need to know about it. I should be able to sell (transfer) my old software licenses as well, with minimal interaction with Adobe.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Canon Rumors said:
Marsu42 said:
Strangely, this hasn't found its way to CR as a CC update is always a biggie...
I do have to sleep some time!

rumors never sleep :-> ... I thought these scheduled events are in the queue anyway as the release date was well known in advance. But maybe this time they synced it to europe or japan time and not to u.s. working hours? Well, I'm always happy to be quicker than the official post :)

keithfullermusic said:

Well, the CC *update* doesn't change anything about the licensing model one way or another, so probably no point in re-iterating all arguments ... though of course this *is* CR and CC comes next to DR in flamewar quality.

Question is if the new dehaze feature will make it just into CC or into the legacy LR6 release too - I didn'T look or research this yet. Otherwise some few people clinging to the outdated "purchase" option will have to commit themselves to the modern world at last :p

Upvote 0
It looks like to me...Adobe is pandering even more to the amateur market. Mobis and ipad integration is the big feature? Stock integration? Professional stock work collapsed 5 years ago, it's in a terrible mess....didn't Adobe get the memo? Unless they want to flood the stock market with iphone images of Eiffel tower and st mark's square?

Sorry but I'm not seeing any big features here for working pros...just a cynical company cashing in on the growth of serious hobbyists. If that's you, enjoy...but this is light years away from the professional tools Adobe used to develop.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
just a cynical company cashing in on the growth of serious hobbyists. If that's you, enjoy...but this is light years away from the professional tools Adobe used to develop.

True that about adding more "value" amateur-ish features. But it seems like smart business practice to me - they've got the monopoly in the pro market anyway, so what's left to gain there? If they still have competition it's from upstarts like DxO or AcdSee chipping away from the enthusiast market with ease of use, integration with whatnot and one-click workflows.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
GMCPhotographics said:
It looks like to me...Adobe is pandering even more to the amateur market. Mobis and ipad integration is the big feature? Stock integration? Professional stock work collapsed 5 years ago, it's in a terrible mess....didn't Adobe get the memo? Unless they want to flood the stock market with iphone images of Eiffel tower and st mark's square?

Indeed. The entire "CC" model is really just to bring the amateurs into the fold. I know that some of my customers who are amateur photographers used to be in awe of photoshop and what it could do. But of course, unless you actually could make money from using it (or simply have tons to spare), no one would think of spending the hundreds on it. But now, for mere dollars a month, anyone can afford it, especially when you can just turn it on and off along with the payments whenever you need it.

GMCPhotographics said:
Sorry but I'm not seeing any big features here for working pros...just a cynical company cashing in on the growth of serious hobbyists. If that's you, enjoy...but this is light years away from the professional tools Adobe used to develop.

Again, they seem to have realized there is more money in making their product available with features needed by the masses. Their shareholders must be quite happy. Me, I'm waiting for the upcoming DXO announcement wondering if I will finally make the switch for raw processing.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You guys all sound like a bunch of old geezers (and I'm way older than any of you).

I-pad and other mobile integration are "amateur" features? I don't think so. There is a whole generation of creatives coming out of school (or not even in school yet) who use their tablets in ways that I can't even imagine. These programs aren't geared toward amateurs. They are geared toward the next generation of creatives, who are designing the world we'll all live in.

Is it a mistake for Adobe to integrate desktop applications for these mobile users?

The biggest problem I always have with some of the Adobe apps is I can't even figure out what they would be used for. But that doesn't mean someone else who is much more tech savvy hasn't already figured it out.

True, as a traditional desktop user, I'm not seeing a lot of changes that I need. But then, Photoshop is already so sophisticated that it would be hard to come up with a lot of new, exciting changes.

As for the new stock photo system. I think that's genius. First, anything that challenges Getty's monopolistic domination of the stock photo market is a good thing. But, having a stock photo library immediately available through Adobe could be incredibly convenient. If I'm working on an In-Design project and I need a photo now, I'm much more likely to search the Adobe site that's already there and always available and quickly look for a shot, rather than going to a third party, where I have to register, sign-in, buy credits, etc.

As a photographer, I'm also more likely to upload a few images to their stock site, since it's easy and quick. I think they are gambling that a lot of people who create with Adobe apps will try it out since it's one-stop shopping.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have been playing with the haze filter for all of 15 minutes. As one would expect, its not a miracle filter by any means. It plays with the blues and increases contrast such that the heavier areas of the haze turn a ugly dark brown. By lifting shadows, reducing blue saturation, as well as magenta and purple, I can get colors balanced - sort of. Nothing I can do about the overall blue boosts. It takes a lot of additional pp to get the most of it, and I did not take the time.

The boosting blue saturation was already a method I used to help with haze, this is a tiny bit better, but not much.

Here are a few I tried from old photos in Seattle while in a boat on Puget Sound. These are extreme haze situations, except for the lighthouse, which had light haze, and did not need a heavy handed adjustment.

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2055-XL.jpg

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2058-XL.jpg

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2026-XL.jpg

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2026-2-XL.jpg

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2039-XL.jpg

tillicum%20village%202011%207D-2039-2-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Is it a mistake for Adobe to integrate desktop applications for these mobile users?

Certainly not, their other CC up and coming apps are entirely "pro" oriented for devleopment and testing of apps across all platforms: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/catalog/desktop.html ... it's just in comparison to Edge or Scout the latest LR additions do seem to be a bit more oriented towards "broader" users base.

unfocused said:
The biggest problem I always have with some of the Adobe apps is I can't even figure out what they would be used for. [...] (and I'm way older than any of you).

I wonder if one has a link to the other :p ... these things those kids do nowadays :->

Mt Spokane Photography said:
The boosting blue saturation was already a method I used to help with haze, this is a tiny bit better, but not much.

Thanks for the pics, concerning the filter it's entirely possible Adobe will keep working on it and optimize it for different scenarios. If it's a convenient automatization for a common problem that's fine by me, just like red/green eye removal. it wasn't to be expected Adobe can conjure up contrast out of nothing as of course they only have the source data to work with.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
unfocused said:
You guys all sound like a bunch of old geezers (and I'm way older than any of you).

I'll be 72 in a couple of months, so I qualify as a old Geezer. I have had a tablet for a few years, and broke down and bought a Iphone the first of the year. I try to keep up with technology, but there is never enough time.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Marsu42 said:
Fyi all: The stand-alone LR 6.1 does NOT feature the new dehaze tool, it is ONLY included in the PS/LR CC subscription releases: https://fstoppers.com/news/adobe-cc-photography-update-available-now-73795

Time to upgrade to CC after all, eh :-> ?

That's surprising, Adobe would have to spend extra to make a separate version without it, and further revisions to LR 6 would possibly cost them even more if there are common software components involved.

Obviously, Adobe is trying to push people toward LRCC, but why? They have a ton of customers for LR6. I'd expect that some may even consider a lawsuit, that seems reasonable.

Upvote 0
That's surprising, Adobe would have to spend extra to make a separate version without it

Nope, they simply disable this feature by checking the license, this is done all over the software world and not much coding work involved.

Obviously, Adobe is trying to push people toward LRCC, but why? They have a ton of customers for LR6.

They simply would like to convert them to CC customers, making more $$$ over the years than ppl skipping versions and making piracy harder at the same time.

Last not least, the "CC or no CC" debate is a thorn in their side, if subscription is generally accepted no one will threaten lawsuits as soon as they make good on their rolling release strategy (i.e. not saving new features for the next "big bang" release):

I'd expect that some may even consider a lawsuit, that seems reasonable.

I'm pretty sure Adobe's fleet of lawyers have though this through and no promises were made that all CC updates went into the non-subscription release.

Upvote 0