Adorama wants your used Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Oh I don't know about that. Sure it's not what it used to be be I just sold an L lens which I gently used for 2 years and sold it for what I bought it for. All I had to pay were the Ebay fees. That took it down to a reasonable level of cost vs use. Now, I currently have no lenses I wish to part with so that's even better as there are fewer and fewer positive high ticket selling moments on Ebay and the like any longer with people defrauding so much these days.

Of course there are always going to be counter-examples and exceptions to almost anything, but by far and large the used gear market is great if you’re a buyer and not-so-much if you’re a seller. Maybe I’m a little more sensitive to it(meaning I notice, I don’t sell) being a professional that works in TV, because I regularly see what items that cost many tens of thousands of dollars are selling for. I regularly see lenses that are still selling new today for $30K for ~1/3 or less and cameras can be even worse. Even items that aren’t really “technology dependent/sensitive”, like cameras are, and that can have production and service lives of decades can suffer the same fate. I recently bought a head and small pedestal off of eBay that are both still currently produced and sold. I was only interested in the head, but the entire package was selling for 1/3 of just the heads price and about 1/5 of them new together. The heads price was in-line and even less than some other listings for the same model. The seller was basically throwing in the pedestal. Great for me. I picked up a ~$9K head for $3K with a “free” pedestal(if I should need it).

Again, I don’t sell my old equipment. It’s just kind of dis-heartening to see how little people actually value a lot of things today. We just live in a disposable society, now.

Upvote 0
That's what the internet is for. If you can find a way to sell it to Adorama, you can find a way to sell it on Ebay or something of that sort.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it all depends on how valuable your time is, how much risk you are willing to take, and how much you are willing to pay in commission vs getting a higher price.

I have sold gear on eBay in the past, but I have no current standing with them and have to pay full commission percentage when I sell something there. I used to sell there more often and got a discount on fees.

I have bought gear on Fred Miranda, and their price to sell is quite good, but it still means dealing with photos, and posts, and lookie-loos, and risk on payment.

I just shipped some gear to MPB, and I know I could have made more money if I had sold the stuff myself, but it wasn't worth the time and hassle for me right now.

For other people, it would be worth it. There is no blanket statement over how people should be selling their gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
That's what the internet is for. If you can find a way to sell it to Adorama, you can find a way to sell it on Ebay or something of that sort.
Ahem...the context of the post was about NOT selling it via the interwebs but locally for more money and possibly a better experience. But thank you...

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
And the times that we are in now... It’s probably the worst it’s ever been for selling used gear. It‘s phenomenal if you’re buying used gear, but on the flip, it’s one step removed from setting it out on the front lawn and letting people just take it.

I'm a fan of low risk used buys that one can sell and get most of the money out sooner or later. New to Canon I should be scooping up nice previous generation whites for half price. But I suspect that the market is being driven by some powerful anticipation and demand for RF lenses, not to mention R bodies.

Well under $4000 for a current model nice used example 300 f2.8 is amazing. Under half that for a prior IS that reviewers at the time had a hard time finding distinctions. Yet I'm* awaiting the $8000 2kg RF300 f2.8 that follows the 400 IS II design principles.

*I'm only one data point so the market might be different, yet this is consistent with what prices tell us unequivocally about the market.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I wonder if there are other factors out there as well.

Aging baby-boomers (like me). I notice that oftentimes when big whites go up on eBay, the seller has in their explanation something like "This is a great lens but it's just too heavy for me and I find I'm not using it as much as I used to."

The improvements in sensor resolution that make cropping easier and high ISOs more usable.

The availability of low cost 600mm f6.3 zooms that punch well above their price point.

Loss of interest by some enthusiasts. That is, people with disposable income that got into bird and nature photography in a big way at the height of the digital revolution and then after a few years they've lost interest. After all, we are a short-attention span society.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Ahem...the context of the post was about NOT selling it via the interwebs but locally for more money and possibly a better experience. But thank you...
The context of my post was selling it yourself regardless of location and not to a third party seller for a much reduced price. Ahem, thank you.

• Haha
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm a fan of low risk used buys that one can sell and get most of the money out sooner or later. New to Canon I should be scooping up nice previous generation whites for half price. But I suspect that the market is being driven by some powerful anticipation and demand for RF lenses, not to mention R bodies.

Well under $4000 for a current model nice used example 300 f2.8 is amazing. Under half that for a prior IS that reviewers at the time had a hard time finding distinctions. Yet I'm* awaiting the $8000 2kg RF300 f2.8 that follows the 400 IS II design principles.

*I'm only one data point so the market might be different, yet this is consistent with what prices tell us unequivocally about the market.
The version III optics are no better than version II they are lighter and with the center of mass closer to the body for better holding. That is useful for lenses 400mm or more but for the 2.34 Kg (2.5Kg with hood) is irrelevant. It can be held quite comfortably and it can't be optically better (at least that can be seen practically judging by its super high DxO numbers of resolution with 5DsR). Also if you need it for action you are better with the EF version. Sorry but skipping a half the price optic of similar IQ does not seem practical. It just shows you don't really need it which is acceptable of course.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
The version III optics are no better than version II they are lighter and with the center of mass closer to the body for better holding. That is useful for lenses 400mm or more but for the 2.34 Kg (2.5Kg with hood) is irrelevant. It can be held quite comfortably and it can't be optically better (at least that can be seen practically judging by its super high DxO numbers of resolution with 5DsR). Also if you need it for action you are better with the EF version. Sorry but skipping a half the price optic of similar IQ does not seem practical. It just shows you don't really need it which is acceptable of course.

Thanks for the useful thoughts. I’m not sure I understand your last two sentences. I’ll take them favorably and assume you mean that only an amateur hobbyist like me (with wants and not needs) would worry about saving half the price. I don’t mind tying up the cash. It’s just that when an RF equivalent comes out to replace it I’ll have the transaction cost on a smaller amount.

I’ll probably spend a week with the IS II from CPS to decide if I’d mind 6 ounces more.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019

Thanks for the useful thoughts. I’m not sure I understand your last two sentences. I’ll take them favorably and assume you mean that only an amateur hobbyist like me (with wants and not needs) would worry about saving half the price. I don’t mind tying up the cash. It’s just that when an RF equivalent comes out to replace it I’ll have the transaction cost and depreciation on a smaller amount.

I’ll probably spend a week with the IS II from CPS to decide if I’d mind 6 ounces more.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the useful thoughts. I’m not sure I understand your last two sentences. I’ll take them favorably and assume you mean that only an amateur hobbyist like me (with wants and not needs) would worry about saving half the price. I don’t mind tying up the cash. It’s just that when an RF equivalent comes out to replace it I’ll have the transaction cost on a smaller amount.

1 omitted that the 2.34Kg was for the existing 300mm 2.8L IS II so saying that the RF version could not be much lighter.

2. You wrote you that you would prefer to wait and spend 8000 for an RF optic instead of getting a 4000 EF optic equally good that does the job. Your right of course. I expressed an opinion that you could do your job fine with the EF one especially if you need it now that an RF does not exist.

3. I do not understand the II with 6 ounces more. Which II and relative to what? The 300 has no RF version so I do not understand what you mean. What are you comparing? I was not referring to the III 400 and 600 only to the future RF you mentioned!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
1 omitted that the 2.34Kg was for the existing 300mm 2.8L IS II so saying that the RF version could not be much lighter.

2. You wrote you that you would prefer to wait and spend 8000 for an RF optic instead of getting a 4000 EF optic equally good that does the job. Your right of course. I expressed an opinion that you could do your job fine with the EF one especially if you need it now that an EF does not exist.

3. I do not understand the II with 6 ounces more. Which II and relative to what? The 300 has no RF version so I do not understand what you mean. What are you comparing? I was not referring to the III 400 and 600 only to the future RF you mentioned!

1. I optimistically assume that the 300 IS III might be like the 400 and lose up to 25% of the weight.
2. Agreed. If I had an urgent need or want the II would be great. So would the IS I for under $2k.
3. 6oz is my recall of the weight reduction from I to II.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I’ve wondered this for a while, but this seems like an appropriate thread to post it in...

Why isn’t there a buy/sell forum here? Seems like there are a lot of good camera guys who are a perfect market for each other trying to buy/sell gear.
I agree to an extent. It also could erupt in a crazy sh*tshow. I have seen buy/sell forums in other camera come and go... they had to have their reasons and I wouldn't doubt if Craig didn't want to venture into that space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I agree to an extent. It also could erupt in a crazy sh*tshow. I have seen buy/sell forums in other camera come ... they had to have their reasons and I wouldn't doubt if Craig didn't want to venture into that space.

I’ve sold things on photography-on-the.net for years and have always had great experiences. Doesn’t seem like there are many issues over there?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I’ve sold things on photography-on-the.net for years and have always had great experiences. Doesn’t seem like there are many issues over there?
I could be mistaken, but I think Canon Rumors Guy tried it and dropped it. I suspect it was more hassle than it was worth. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
How much do you want to pay for one? I have two, I'll be selling one...
I want to pay 1¢; however, what I willing to pay is higher. It always depends on condition and number of shutter activations.

The problem with buyer from a stranger outside of Ebay or such is the fear factor. will the other person deliver what was promised, and if not, how to settle the dispute? I suggest you unload them to Adorama or such. They can make a fair evaluation for resale. My hopes are there are many like you to flood the used market with quality bodies; this, the prices drop.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Why would I spend them to Adorama?
I want to pay 1¢; however, what I willing to pay is higher. It always depends on condition and number of shutter activations.

The problem with buyer from a stranger outside of Ebay or such is the fear factor. will the other person deliver what was promised, and if not, how to settle the dispute? I suggest you unload them to Adorama or such. They can make a fair evaluation for resale. My hopes are there are many like you to flood the used market with quality bodies; this, the prices drop.
Why would I send one to Adorama? But I'd sell you one for 1¢, and include 2 CFast cards and readers, 3 CF cards, a WFT-E8, box paperwork and everything that came with the camera, cards, readers, and WFT, oh, and if RRS come out with an updated design for the L-Plate (I have emailed them and pointed out the shutter release notch is in the wrong place for the MkIII) I'll throw in one of those too. Actuations you can choose one has <120,000 and is good condition, the other has <10,000 and is basically mint, the price is the same for either. Shipping and handling would be $3,999.99...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0