Advice for photographic venues near Whitby, UK

Whitby itself is a pretty cool place to photograph. It's a harbour and the sunsets can be pretty amazing. Although it's on the east coast, the coast faces almost north. As the sun sets, the remaining light illuminates the hill where the church and abbey ruin are. I have not had much chance myself but I suspect there are some good photos to be had around that time.

My family and I usually go to Bridlington but for days trips, Robin Hoods bay (south of whitby) is good when the tide's out (great for rock pools with reflections). Bempton cliffs is an RSPB site which is usually home to a LOT of nesting birds. Possibly about the right time of year to see puffins if birding is your thing.

I've not been to those places just to photograph as I'm usually with family but the whole coastline is quite picturesque. My last trip, I had a go at long exposures of the stars which came out pretty cool (for a first attempt)

Hope that helps, enjoy your trip :)

scarey

Upvote 0
At the SW side of the North Yorkshire Moors near Helmsley you find the ruin of Riveaulx Abbey.
It is impressive and very photogenic.
I visited from Denmark 2 weeks ago - see below. (Did not visit Whitby).
The sky was rather dull, but apart from that I liked the place very much. See a few samples.

Attachments

• IMG_1268 h800.jpg
    IMG_1268 h800.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_1293 V1 H1080.jpg
    IMG_1293 V1 H1080.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 818
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
All above good advice on where to go. Rievaulx is about 1 hours drive from Whitby.

Here are a few of ours from the area

Attachments

• Rievaulx Abby Arches.png
    Rievaulx Abby Arches.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 778
  • Resolution - Whitby SF.jpg
    Resolution - Whitby SF.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 732
  • Whitby North Beach.png
    Whitby North Beach.png
    788.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Whitby Abbey Sunrise.png
    Whitby Abbey Sunrise.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 981
Upvote 0
Saltburn, a small coastal town which is a little further North of Whitby - it's one of the most photographed places in the UK!

Robin Hoods Bay.

Runswick Bay.

Anywhere in the North Yorkshire Moors.

Staithes is a MUST, you have to visit Staithes.

(I live in the North East!!)

Rhys

http://rhysbaker.com/blog

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Went for a quick drive through while staying in York a few years ago. The Abbey is very photogenic and has a good view of the harbour and town. The beach to the North isn't too bad. We passed the "Hole of Horcum" on the way through - which was interesting, but tough to photograph well. There were some good walks around the North Moors National Park.

York isn't that far away. If you get a chance, its definitely worth a vist.

Some Whitby photos...

Attachments

• IMG_4334-L.jpg
    IMG_4334-L.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_4273-L.jpg
    IMG_4273-L.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_4362-L.jpg
    IMG_4362-L.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_4195-L.jpg