Advice needed: Things around buying an 600mm Canon lens

Although the DO version of the 600mm Canon is imminent (Maybe coming in 2016/2017), I decided to buy the 600mm Canon L IS II in the next two weeks.
My question: Which things "around" are needed?

- Is the lens beeing delivered in an hard-case? (shop in the Netherlands sells it with an Tenba case) If not: Which one fits it best?

- Converter: Which version of the Canon 1.4x converter to buy? V2 or V3?

- Which universal coating?

- Which head for the tripod? I like the Eki Pro MS Teleneiger, or is there an better one in the same price class?

A lot of questions, but it would be nice, if you could help me.

Thx

xps said:
Although the DO version of the 600mm Canon is imminent (Maybe coming in 2016/2017), I decided to buy the 600mm Canon L IS II in the next two weeks.

- Is the lens beeing delivered in an hard-case? (shop in the Netherlands sells it with an Tenba case) If not: Which one fits it best?

- Which head for the tripod? I like the Eki Pro MS Teleneiger, or is there an better one in the same price class?

Thx

Yes, it comes with a proper Canon case. All the big glass does, it has a hood and a new style lens cover for it.

Teleconverter - definitely the mk iiii - optimised for the mk ii lenses

I use a wimberley head personally, not heard of the one you mentioned, sorry

Not sure what is the universal coating, sorry.....

Upvote 0
Stu_bert said:
xps said:

Thx

Yes, it comes with a proper Canon case. All the big glass does, it has a hood and a new style lens cover for it.

- Interesting. So, the Dutch shop removes it and sells it with an temba softcase. I think, the Canon cover is expensive. So, I thik I know the reason why this shop is cheaper than others....

- The head is from this company: http://www.eki-foto.com/de/eki-produkte-00/produkte-10-ms-g.html

- Sorry, I meant lens coating to camouflage the white lens

Thanks for your reply

Upvote 0
I didn't look at your tripod head, but I would recommend this foot replacement if it is Arca Swis type.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EF-200-400mm-f4L-IS-1-4x/LCF-53-for-Canon-400-500-600mm-IS-II-EF-200-400mm-f-4L-IS-1-4x.html

I usually rent big whites based on the trip and this fits all of the big white II versions including the 200-400. Much cleaner than using attachment plates if you use an Arca Swiss style head.

Upvote 0
it does come in a "transport suitcase" but its not much use other than storage and shipping.

lenscoat makes neopreme covers that fit and look good. they also make an xpandble lens bag that works great, you can leave the hood on and camera attached.

http://www.lenscoat.com/long-lens-xpandable-series-c-42.html?osCsid=607d6614d91abf8faadce9f2279fa44d

i use a giottos 5580 monopod mostly. but also have a lensmaster gimbal which is very good and reasonably priced compared to most of the others, its also light. i use it on a gitzo lvl tripod which has a built in leveling column and also lightweight. its not as rock solid as the heavy duty ones but you are really looking to just get the weight off of you. the lens is heavy enough to carry around so i went for lightweight accessories to try to make the overall gear pack easier to hike around with.

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/rh1.htm

http://www.gitzo.com/ser2-6x-leveling-4s-g-l-long

tripod and head are about 5lbs

Upvote 0

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
I use the Jobu Design Pro 2 gimbal head on my 600 II. Love it, a bit heavy but anything rated for glass this size will be. Beautifully machined, high quality piece of kit.

http://www.jobu-design.com/Gimbals_c_1.html

As for Lens Covers I've been very happy with the UK company Wildlife watching Supplies covers, I use them on all my lenses, their customer support is great and they fit well.

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/Neoprene_lens_cover_sets.html

I second the recommendation to use the Really Right Stuff replacement foot. Works great.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/400-500-600mm-IS-II/

You will not regret your purchase of the 600 II, wonderful lens.

You didn't ask about a tripod but take a look at Feisol. The 3372 is what I use.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-elite-tripod-ct3372-rapid-p-57.html

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It should come in a Canon 600B lens case, in a Canon box (and B&H shipped that in another, larger box unmarked box).

I have an all RRS setup (I'll third the recommendation of their replacement foot), also have the PG-02 LLR gimbal and a TVC-33 with leveling base.

Enjoy the lens!!

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 1,072
  • RRS setup.jpg
    RRS setup.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 1,055
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Stu_bert said:
xps said:

Thx

second the lens coat protection.

I use the Wimberley, especially for 600. I don't like side mounts, always feel unstable to me with big heavy lens.

Definitely go with Mark iii of the 1.4. I have had success with the 2.0 Mark iii.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Thanks, Alan. Just busy with travel, work and the start of the school year for two of our kids. :D
School start... :) The time where grand fathers are the "der beste Opa der Welt" when the grandchildren get the wished school satchels and other things. This year 3 of my grandchildren start going to school. 8)

Upvote 0
Much thanks for all your answers!!!!!

I will:
- buy the arca swiss compatible Really Right Stuff replacement foot. My head will be the http://www.eki-foto.com/de/eki-produkte-00/produkte-10-ms-g.html as it is really well designed and has an superb quality and is Arca Swiss compatible . Tripod: my now nearly unsed Manfrotto 055 (I do mostly use an carbon tripod from Sirui).

- buy an Wildlife watching Supplies cover

- Canon converter 1.4x III

- and ask why the Dutch company sells the 600mm only with an Temba case.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't like the look if that gimbal head for two reasons.

First, it doesn't allow for height adjustment that I can see. If you can't adjust the height then you can't get the balance of the lens such that it stays at any angle. By the looks of it you can adjust fore and aft for balance, but not vertical.

Second, because it is a two arm design you limit access to the lens switches, the one arm designs are most popular because you mount the lens such that the switch side is left uncluttered.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
xps said:

I will:
- buy the arca swiss compatible Really Right Stuff replacement foot. My head will be the http://www.eki-foto.com/de/eki-produkte-00/produkte-10-ms-g.html as it is really well designed and has an superb quality and is Arca Swiss compatible . Tripod: my now nearly unsed Manfrotto 055 (I do mostly use an carbon tripod from Sirui).

The "Dutch" company has it it listed twice, once with the Tenba bag and once without for the same price.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:

First, it doesn't allow for height adjustment that I can see. If you can't adjust the height then you can't get the balance of the lens such that it stays at any angle. By the looks of it you can adjust fore and aft for balance, but not vertical.

Second, because it is a two arm design you limit access to the lens switches, the one arm designs are most popular because you mount the lens such that the switch side is left uncluttered.

Agreed. In fact, the last few images shown with the smaller lens (+ lighting), the lens+body center of mass is clearly below the pivot vertically, meaning it would return to horizontal without tension, rather than holding in any position when released as a good gimbal should.

Easy control access is one advantage of a side-mount gimbal - with mine, it's very easy to reach under the lens for the stop buttons, manual focus and focus preset rings out on the barrel.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
xps said:

I will:

The "Dutch" company has it it listed twice, once with the Tenba bag and once without for the same price.

Thanks, I phoned with an shop assistant today. He told me, the lens will be shipped with the case and the bag to Germany for an reduced price (>1000€ off the normal price). I was in the wrong "country"

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:

Agreed. In fact, the last few images shown with the smaller lens (+ lighting), the lens+body center of mass is clearly below the pivot vertically, meaning it would return to horizontal without tension, rather than holding in any position when released as a good gimbal should.

Easy control access is one advantage of a side-mount gimbal - with mine, it's very easy to reach under the lens for the stop buttons, manual focus and focus preset rings out on the barrel.

Thank you both for your thoughts. I will check this problem with the constructor of this head. If it is still an problem afterwards, I will switch to the Gimbal. But I think, the designer knew this problem well, as he uses a lot of such lenses (I think Nikon 600mm).

Upvote 0