Affected with GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
candyman said:
Well, I explained my wife that it is very common to purchase a lens and then after a while sell it to purchase another ....or two ;)
With the camera....I take the camera bag ....empty.....going on a shoot returning home ....with a camera....

Boy I feel bad while writing it down..... :-[

The first sign of recognizeing I have a problem.....my name is candyman and I suffer from G.A.S.
Welcome to the like minded citizens/sufferers club ;D

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Rienzphotoz said:
candyman said:
Well, I explained my wife that it is very common to purchase a lens and then after a while sell it to purchase another ....or two ;)
With the camera....I take the camera bag ....empty.....going on a shoot returning home ....with a camera....

The first sign of recognizeing I have a problem.....my name is candyman and I suffer from G.A.S.

Thanks.
Well, I try to make it up to my wife so I surprised her with a mini-cruise to the UK. That makes me feel less bad ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
candyman said:
Rienzphotoz said:
candyman said:

Thanks.
Well, I try to make it up to my wife so I surprised her with a mini-cruise to the UK. That makes me feel less bad ;D
That's a tried and tested trick ... a few days before I buy a new lens/camera, I buy her a new iPhone/laptop (my last lens purchase got her the iPhone 5S) ... if my gear is "expensive", I usually take her out on a holiday and/or some necklace ... that usually takes care of any guilt (on my part) and/or questioning from the wife ;D

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Rienzphotoz said:
candyman said:
Rienzphotoz said:
candyman said:

Thanks.
That's a tried and tested trick ... a few days before I buy a new lens/camera, I buy her a new iPhone/laptop (my last lens purchase got her the iPhone 5S) ... if my gear is "expensive", I usually take her out on a holiday and/or some necklace ... that usually takes care of any guilt (on my part) and/or questioning from the wife ;D

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
For the last few days, I am quite proud of myself for not giving in to the temptation of GAS ... I sold some of my gear last week and got about $3000 on Thursday (hopefully my G1X and some accessories will also be sold in a few days time, so that should get me close to $4000 in total) ... so far I have not spent a single penny from it ... I was very close to buying the Tamron 150-600 VC but successfully held off, coz I'm weighing my options between, 150-600 VC, 300 f/4 L IS + 400 f/5.6 L, EF 100-400 L IS ... I did own the 100-400 L IS, until I sold it in 2011 for some much needed cash at that time, also played with the 150-600 VC for 10 minutes at the local store, so I know what to expect from those 2 lenses ... but I have never tried the other 2 L prime lenses ... soooooo many choices, but only limited budget .... not sure how long I can hold, coz the GAS is getting real bad ;D

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:
KKCFamilyman said:
Also I agree about collecting enough lenses to mask the purchases. My wife would not know at this point which lens I added except maybe the 300-600mm super tele's. I want one of those but not going to be able to get away with a $6k lens.
He he he ;D :D ;D :D ... +1

I know... I've purchased lenses which I've smuggled home with the box collapsed and the styrofoam in the front pocket of my laptop bag.
;D ;D ;D +1 ... I've done that with my EF 16-35 f/2.8 L IS, FE 24-70 f/4 OSS & many accessories ... I wonder, how many other CR members have done something like this :-X

I'll buy something and I just won't tell her. Most of the stuff I get comes through the mail, and she works at home... so I can't hide it...

I understand though... sometimes you don't want to have to deal with the hassle of explaining it wasn't that much... and if you sell X, really, you got an upgrade for only $XXX.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I'm finding that I don't need anything else... so as I said before... I started buying and building a kit for my daughter... but that got boring quickly. I just got the 135L... I kinda wanted the 85L but I'm also good with not having the 85L... the sigma 50 art was intriguing... and now I'm bored with the idea of getting it...

I could upgrade the 24-105 to the 24-70 mkii, but I don't care for that focal range that much. I don't want the 16-35... so at this point... I'm at a loss. What more is there... :(

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
jdramirez said:
I'm finding that I don't need anything else... so as I said before... I started buying and building a kit for my daughter... but that got boring quickly. I just got the 135L... I kinda wanted the 85L but I'm also good with not having the 85L... the sigma 50 art was intriguing... and now I'm bored with the idea of getting it...

I could upgrade the 24-105 to the 24-70 mkii, but I don't care for that focal range that much. I don't want the 16-35... so at this point... I'm at a loss. What more is there... :(

You could upgrade to the Sigma 24-105, there is something there!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
growler said:
jdramirez said:
What more is there... :(

24 f3.5 TSE
300 f2.8L
400 f2.8L
500 f4.0L
600 f4.0L

for starters. Also, 1.4x III and 2.0x III.

I have the 1.4x mkii and I have reservations about buying a big telephoto prime... A for the sigma 24-105, it is a marginal upgrade... but I would consider the rumored 24-70 f 2 by sigma.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
jdramirez said:
growler said:
jdramirez said:

24 f3.5 TSE
300 f2.8L
400 f2.8L
500 f4.0L
600 f4.0L

I have the 1.4x mkii and I have reservations about buying a big telephoto prime... A for the sigma 24-105, it is a marginal upgrade... but I would consider the rumored 24-70 f 2 by sigma.

marginal IQ can mean the difference between a sale and not.
I for one think it's far more than marginal, and that's after 7 years with two copies of the Canon variety.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I'm not trying to start a fight here... and I certainly understand quality... but if I upgrade that focal range it would probably be for the aforementioned sigma f2 or the Canon 24-70 f2.8L ii.

I have a philosophy... make sure your upgrade is just that... an upgrade. I slight performance bump isn't good enough. And trading and f4 for an f4... no thanks.

slclick said:
jdramirez said:
growler said:
jdramirez said:

24 f3.5 TSE
300 f2.8L
400 f2.8L
500 f4.0L
600 f4.0L

marginal IQ can mean the difference between a sale and not.
I for one think it's far more than marginal, and that's after 7 years with two copies of the Canon variety.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
For the last few days, I am quite proud of myself for not giving in to the temptation of GAS ... I sold some of my gear last week and got about $3000 on Thursday (hopefully my G1X and some accessories will also be sold in a few days time, so that should get me close to $4000 in total) ... so far I have not spent a single penny from it ... I was very close to buying the Tamron 150-600 VC but successfully held off, coz I'm weighing my options between, 150-600 VC, 300 f/4 L IS + 400 f/5.6 L, EF 100-400 L IS ... I did own the 100-400 L IS, until I sold it in 2011 for some much needed cash at that time, also played with the 150-600 VC for 10 minutes at the local store, so I know what to expect from those 2 lenses ... but I have never tried the other 2 L prime lenses ... soooooo many choices, but only limited budget .... not sure how long I can hold, coz the GAS is getting real bad ;D
After many days of severe GAS, I finally have temporary relief from GAS ... went to the local Canon/Nikon/Tamron/Sigma dealer and played with Tamron 150-600 VC, Sigma 50-500 OS and the Canon 100-400 L IS for more than 45 minutes, just clicking random shots ... and agonizing over which one to buy ... and I finally pulled the trigger on the EF 100-400 IS. I liked the IQ of Tamron (which was almost as good as the 100-400 L IS, but the 15 year old Canon still has the edge, albeit not by much), but I did not like the "plasticy" feeling and the length of the lens ... in order to shoot on our rig site, I have move around tight confined areas, where long lenses tend to get bumped into metal objects (speaking from 7 years of carrying various slightly lengthy lenses on rig sites) and I feel the Tamron's build quality will not be able to handle that kind of abuse (also the AF on Tamron seemed a little sluggish in comparison to the Canon, so I tried 2 Tamron lenses but both had similar AF speed i.e. slower then the Canon, (maybe they weren't good copies) ... but the Canon is built like a tank in comparison and AF was just AWESOME, both on my 5D MK III and the 70D ... so I choose the trusty Canon 100-400 L IS and I also got the EOS 70D to get that little extra reach (also the sales guy made a really good deal) ... so now I feel a bit relieved from the GAS ... but that's only till the Sony a6000 releases.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
... so I choose the trusty Canon 100-400 L IS and I also got the EOS 70D to get that little extra reach (also the sales guy made a really good deal) ... so now I feel a bit relieved from the GAS ... but that's only till the Sony a6000 releases.
Isn't it great? Having sold my 5D2 I bought a second 5D3 and now I feel as if I had a good dinner after being hungry ... ( = GAS relieved :) ). I found out that for me the solution is to sell old gear (if and when I find a buyer of course) and get a new item. My list of old items has decreased though ::)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:
... so I choose the trusty Canon 100-400 L IS and I also got the EOS 70D to get that little extra reach (also the sales guy made a really good deal) ... so now I feel a bit relieved from the GAS ... but that's only till the Sony a6000 releases.
Isn't it great? Having sold my 5D2 I bought a second 5D3 and now I feel as if I had a good dinner after being hungry ... ( = GAS relieved :) ). I found out that for me the solution is to sell old gear (if and when I find a buyer of course) and get a new item. My list of old items has decreased though ::)
I am embarresed to say this but do I agree with you on the "good dinner after being hungry" comment :-[ ... Congratulations on the 5D MK III ... when it comes to selling my old gear I am very fortunate to have several colleagues in my office who are eager to buy my used gear ... recently sold the Sigma 150-500 OS, EOS-M, 22mm , 18-55 IS STM, EF-M adapter and a few other accessories, which funded the 100-400 L IS + 70D today. 8)

Upvote 0
I find in times of severe GAS, I end up planning trips... though at the moment, i am planning wildlife trips around India... the Rhinos of Assam, the lions of Gir, the Leopards and whales of Sri Lanka.... Hmm i really should get a longer lens for those trips... NNOooooooooooooo! Oh, well... if you can't fight it! ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Congrats on 2nd 5D III ;)

Are you ready these?: 300mm, 400mm, and/or 600mm ;D

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
tron said:
Rienzphotoz said:
I am embarresed to say this but do I agree with you on the "good dinner after being hungry" comment :-[ ... Congratulations on the 5D MK III ... when it comes to selling my old gear I am very fortunate to have several colleagues in my office who are eager to buy my used gear ... recently sold the Sigma 150-500 OS, EOS-M, 22mm , 18-55 IS STM, EF-M adapter and a few other accessories, which funded the 100-400 L IS + 70D today. 8)

Selling old or unused gear is almost as satisfying as buying new and shiny gear! I'm currently trying (not very hard I must admit) to sell my 7D. It's the only bit of kit I don't really need. I love it though. Kind of want to keep it just for the heck of it. I think I need to rekindle my love for it by actually taking pictures with it.

The new Sigma Art had been giving me GAS but it's taken so long to release (not really) that I'm getting over the urge. I seem to "look" for things to buy and now want a Samsung 840 EVO SSD to speed up my laptop. GAS cross contamination into PC equipment now!

Upvote 0