After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

Aug 22, 2013
I would certainly be interested in a crop R series camera. In the past year I've started doing Birds and BIF and tried a number of camera lens combinations. The main locations where I have been able to shoot keep me a fair distance from the birds, so I ultimately chose the Olympus 100-400mm lens to use on my E-m1 II, giving me the equivalent 200-800mm reach. The Canon 100-400 paired with an R6 I was able to use did not give me enough reach. The new RF 100-500 was a very impressive lens but beyond my budget (especially as I would need a new R series camera to go with it.) Tried an M6 II, but way too small for my taste when paired with any non-M lens.

I know lots of folks on forums don't get the appeal of an APS-C R camera. It's about reach. You don't need special "crop R" lenses. It's about reach.
You can do the same thing re: reach with a high MP full frame body and cropping while also having way more flexibility than that single use case at the same time. Even cost isn't a good argument when you can buy a 5DsR for $1499 brand new or a 5Ds refurb for $1050

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Seems like Canon is pulling a Nikon and directing their potential APS-C buyers to the bigboy RF mount.

Worked for Nikon.

Canon "M" users can't be feeling good about this, but is was sadly expected. No camera company can sustain four different mounts
at the same time: EF, EF-S, M and RF.

They want to funnel everyone to RF, just like Nikon to Z.

The "one mount to rule them all" strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An updated RP with non-crop 4K24 would be nice cheap b-cam for certain things. With the recent revelations about the R3 most likely being a lower MP camera (20-30) I was kinda disappointed. I was really hoping for a R5 on steroids. Then again, if the R3 has internal 6K RAW and oversampled 4K that doesn't overheat...I might buy. Really interested to see how the eye-focus assist works. I could see it being useful for certain things.

Really loving the 45MP R5 after the latest firmware updates. It has quirks, but they are easily worked around in my workflow.

Upvote 0
I know nothing about product development or product strategy but I don’t get an rf aps-c strategy.

Well there you go. Clearly Canon wants to consolidate their mirrorless lens lineup into one system, the same way Sony and Nikon and literally every other major manufacturer has done. EOS M ended up being a stopgap and that's really all there is to it.

Upvote 0

Fotofriend

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Having one mount has several advantages not only for Canon but for the user as well. It offers much more flexibility being able to use a lens on all bodies and vice versa and not having to plan with a completely separate system in case you want to use a crop camera as well. It also and especially saves weight when you‘re traveling and want to shoot FF and crop using the same optics (at least to some extent). Not to forget that the competition / Sony and Nikon already offer one mount for crop and FF. Maybe Canon will finally keep the EF-M mount and system (at least for a while) as a special and unique offering with regard to size and portability…

Upvote 0
I assume the strategy you describe is what canon is banking on, but I wonder if that’s how it commonly plays out. If I was a GM in canon I would question throwing out the investment made in developing EOS M, in the hope of developing upgraders path. That definitely worked for EF-S to EF but will it still play in today’s market?
No idea if that's how it commonly plays out, but it is definitely how it played out for me, and I within my ultra tiny sample set, I can say that most of the full frame users I know ended up upgrading from an APS-C body to full frame within the same manufacturer in order to maintain access to a lens that also worked for full frame. Looking over other manufacturers ranges and outside of RF specifically, I think there are a few good candidates for lenses people may buy while owning an APS-C camera and wanting to keep as they go into full frame. For instance, the Sigma/Tamron super zooms are pretty reasonable and not uncommon to see on a crop body, and similarly with Nikon's 200-500. Replicating that relationship on RF may hold some potential for encouraging buyers to stay within the ecosystem.

I'm not sure the EOS-M is really aimed with a broader upgrade path to full frame. M has a really strong following and is really well suited as a compact camera kit where you can still change lenses. I think the M is Canon's answer for people who want a really compact camera kit, or a vacation camera - i.e. people who are going somewhere new and want to take better pictures than a cell phone but also don't want to break the bank and don't want to lug around a huge kit. While there have been plenty of rumours of EOS-M's demise, it does fit a niche that RF or EF isn't particularly well suited to at the moment. I could see them keeping EOS-M alive to keep filing the compact camera niche going.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Completely sad and imho wrong strategy!!!

Pro level aps-c is hard needed!
for 1200-1500€! great 20-24MP Sensor, ibis, 1-2 cards, 10-15 fps, great EVF and silent option!

Nikon, Sony and Fuji do this! Canon needs to start again where the 7D/II ended!!!

• Love
Upvote 0
You have an RF 70-200 2.8 and you need more reach - one solution is a tele converter, the over one is to use a camera with a smaller sensor. I think this is one reason to do that.

Agreed. Expecially since the RF 70-200 doesn't accept extenders. I have an R5, 5D IV and 7D II, which is aging. Granted, it will be a long time before I replace my fullish EF lens kitty, but eventually, maybe. It would be nice to not have to use the EF-R adaptor, and simplify things. But the $ involved? A lot! I did splurge and got the above lens and 24-105 f/4 when I got the R5, my first ever mirrorless. It ain't perfect, but it's danged good. still learning it!! (Both those RF lenses duplicated my 2 EF's.. though my 24-70 f/2.8 Tammy G2 is faster and has less zoom range, and is big..but danged good! )

Upvote 0
Canon have let the amateur nature photographers badly. The 7Dii has never been replaced. They now have an opportunity - to stick a crop sensor like the one in the M6ii in an R6, concentrate on stills and lower the movie spec.
Agreed, Adrian.... if they do replace it, hoping it has two card slots. But, come to think of it, I only use one... as I am usually not on any kind of shoot where I would be badly upset if I lost any images.

Upvote 0
APS-C RF mount is 100% upsell marketing strategy and makes zero practical sense. It's the hope they they will sell someone a cheap RF mount aps-c and that person will invest in expensive RF lenses - then eventually an expensive full frame RF body. Trying to recreate their EF-S marketing upsell strategy in other words

The main difference and problem is EF-M and options from other brands are a much smarter small sensor choice than RF APS-C if you know what you are doing
Yes, but those options would require lenses that aren't in a person's quiver, unless he shoots either already....

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Yes, but those options would require lenses that aren't in a person's quiver, unless he shoots either already....
But there isn't any advantage to APS-C for an existing RF owner, so no reason to buy. R6 owner better off selling their R6 for an R5 rather than adding apsc - and R5 owners can crop and get the same effect while also being able to not crop for other purposes which obv apsc can't do

The reason mirrorless in general got popular is because it enabled small lenses with crop sensors. RF mount defeats much of the purpose of this since it needs to be compatible with larger diameter of FF lenses. Canon is basically giving the mirrorless portable market to Fuji etc if they go with RF apsc

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I know nothing about product development or product strategy but I don’t get an rf aps-c strategy.

They have a perfectly good aps-c system, just make more lenses for that, because you are hardly going to sell 85mm f1.2 lenses to an aps-c buyer….

If down the track said buyer upgrades to full frame they are going to buy new lenses anyway so changing mount won’t really hurt them.
I also have no idea why the heck a person would want a Canon aps-c when the RP is $999. Do people really want to save some cash so bad they downgrade to a massively inferior sensor? I am on a fixed income of $600 a month, and I won't touch an aps-c; I will buy a used full frame before I buy a brand new aps-c. I guess people who have never shot with full frame and always owned rebels are ok with the inferioprity not knowing better, but I think it is still madness for Canon to make one. A $700 aps-c RF REBEL vs. a $999 RP full frame, with the RP still having more features? GTFO, I will pay the extra $300 every time so I have a "big boy camera." I stopped using point-n-shoots and aps-c when I decided that my images matter.
People (Rebel users) seem to think that those cheap prime lenses and that turd-like L kit zoom will still be as useful when they get a full frame, but that is seldom the truth, since by the time most people pony up for full frame, the L lens bug has already bitten them hard. For many, even the chintzy 24-105 f4 becomes too cheap to put on a full frame. Besides, we all know the 24-105 is an L imposter and a marketing tool for camera peasants.
To be fair, I guess it makes sense Canon would go through the boring motions of making a standard subpar Rebel aps-c just so camera peasants can play with the genius RF lenses, but a pro-level 7d-ish camera seems stupid, absolutely stupid, given how small and inexpensive entry-level full frame bodies are now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I have the sneaking suspicion that most of those who criticize the M format at APS-C sensors etc etc etc...have never used the EOS M6 Mark II.

It is a wonderful camera.

Especially for street photography...when mated to either the 22mm or 11-22mm IS lenses...the size and volume and weight and picture quality offered by either of these combinations is, IMHO, 'tied for first' at least...with any other system.

The ignorance on display in some of the posts here is at times startling...I sincerely hope it is not willful ignorance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
they should re-release R6 for 1000$ less with only photography features ( no 4k 60 , no10bit and with only 1080p 60 fps at 8bit )
Deleting the video features would not reduce the cost of making the camera as these are just software programs so it would still be an expensive camera sadly . Personally video is of little interest to me though.

Upvote 0