An EF 135mm Image Stabilized Lens Coming Next Year? [CR1]

CanonFanBoy said:
Kim Bentsen said:
Don't you just love titles with questions marks. This way anything goes without accountability.

400mm f/2 coming soon?

400mm f/2? Never. Not ever. It would be gigantic.

Saudi person with falcons would probably get one or two, maybe a 3rd for "just in case"?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
the lens is great unless you were considering stepping up to 5D IV body. Sigma 135 Art AF consistency is awfull on 5D IV, beyond rediculous. I spent 3 hours fighting AF woes all in vain. I sold the lens yesterday. I am over this Sigma vs Canon AF wars. the last 2 Sigma Art primes I own (50A and 85A) are up for sale. I will keep Sigma 120 300 F2.8 Sports lens as it is unique and works well attached to my 5D IV camera body.

infared said:
Lov'in my Sigma 135mm f/1.8 ART....I would love for it to have IS ...but it is just fantastic even without it.
I am sure that this new Canon will make my purchase seem cost effective, too!!!! :eek:

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
SecureGSM said:
the lens is great unless you were considering stepping up to 5D IV body. Sigma 135 Art AF consistency is awfull on 5D IV, beyond rediculous. I spent 3 hours fighting AF woes all in vain. I sold the lens yesterday. I am over this Sigma vs Canon AF wars. the last 2 Sigma Art primes I own (50A and 85A) are up for sale. I will keep Sigma 120 300 F2.8 Sports lens as it is unique and works well attached to my 5D IV camera body.

I had similar problems with Sigma 35mm Art on 5DSR. Honestly, I don't know why so many people love Sigma lenses. They cannot be trusted to focus correctly.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
dolina said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Kim Bentsen said:
Don't you just love titles with questions marks. This way anything goes without accountability.

400mm f/2 coming soon?

400mm f/2? Never. Not ever. It would be gigantic.

Saudi person with falcons would probably get one or two, maybe a 3rd for "just in case"?

Only if it comes with a Mercedes mount :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
135 Art AF accuracy was spot on on 5Ds/R bodies. I have calibrated at least 3 that I remember of in last 5 months.
However past performance is not indicative of future results. Mid to long term, I cannot trust Sigma Art lenses to deliver a reliable performance on new and next generation of Canon bodies.
my Sigma Art battle against Canon 5D IV AF system is a showcase of what it may turn out to be for someone that seems to be quite familiar with AFMA lens calibration as such.

some of problems that I have experienced:

Unable to achieve focus - lens would not AF at all until sightly manually defocused towards infinity.

had to power cycle camera few times as all that sudden lens would start consistently missing focus. Qof numbers would drop to 700-800 units range from -20 to +20 AFMA points regardless.
nothing wrong with the camera and lens.
outer AF points are way way off.

I have experienced none of these issues with Canon trinity of latest and greatest L zooms or Sigma 120 300 F2.8 Sports.

35 Art and 50 Art did not as bad on my 5D IV, they just delivered nearly perfectly random AF results with Focal calibration chart being a reminiscence of the cheeseplate. the more test images i took the more confusing it was for calibration software.

SMALLRIG-Multi-purpose-cheese-plate-1681_02_grande.jpg

jolyonralph said:
I had similar problems with Sigma 35mm Art on 5DSR. Honestly, I don't know why so many people love Sigma lenses. They cannot be trusted to focus correctly.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jeffa4444 said:
EF24mm f1.4L II USM - existing
EF28mm f1.4L IS USM - under consideration
EF35mm f1.4L II USM - existing
EF50mm f1.4L IS USM - under development
EF85mm f1.4L IS USM - existing, newly launched
EF100mm f1.4 IS USM - under consideration
EF135mm f2L IS USM - under development

Late to the thread -- but that's an interesting lineup to consider. My thoughts on a few of those above:

24 f/1.4 is 'fine' but is looking dated compared to what the 35L II can do. Imagine a 24L III with the wide angle upside of the BR gunk and (gasp) well managed coma for astro... :D

50 f/1.4
: Sure, but why a 50 f/1.4L IS happens before a 24+ year old EF 50 f/1.4 USM lens gets refreshed makes little sense to me personally.

28 f/1.4 and 100 f/1.4 are unlikely to happen anytime soon. They are niche instruments that few are screaming for. Just because Nikon is offering something unique/cool doesn't mean they are selling well:

Amazon rank for the 28 f/1.4 = #2,865 in camera lenses
Amazon rank for the 105 f/1.4 = #689 (ditto)

For comparison (but still in Nikon as a fair comparison):

35 f/1.4 = #223
85 f/1.4 = #148

...so yes, I would like to adapt & try them if Canon goes 'thin' with their new FF mirrorless platform, but I'm not convinced they are flying off the shelves.

- A

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
SecureGSM said:

infared said:
Lov'in my Sigma 135mm f/1.8 ART....I would love for it to have IS ...but it is just fantastic even without it.
I am sure that this new Canon will make my purchase seem cost effective, too!!!! :eek:

Interesting. I DO use my Sigma Art on a 5DIV body. It is incredibly accurate with AF and I have had no problems. Neither did reviewers that I read...I also own Sigma ART 20mm & 50mm. I do not doubt your report as I had to buy a second copy of the 50mm because of AF issues with my 1st copy and sold my 35mm ART because of AF issues and bought the new Canon 35 mm L to replace it. I chalked that up to it being the 1st Sigma ART lens and that the design just has AF inconsistencies. I have not experienced those problems with the 3 ART Lenses that I own on my stellar 5DIV. ...but I guess that the world is not perfect out there. Sorry to hear of your problems. I will keep my fingers crossed as the results I get from my 135mm ART lens are so incredible that I would hate to start wrestling with AF issues. Mine has been spot-on, out of the box with no calibration on the Sigma Dock. BTW I think that the Sigma Dock is a MUST if you own any ART Lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
infared said:
SecureGSM said:

infared said:

Interesting. I DO use my Sigma Art on a 5DIV body. It is incredibly accurate with AF and I have had no problems. Neither did reviewers that I read...I also own Sigma ART 20mm & 50mm. I do not doubt your report as I had to buy a second copy of the 50mm because of AF issues with my 1st copy and sold my 35mm ART because of AF issues and bought the new Canon 35 mm L to replace it. I chalked that up to it being the 1st Sigma ART lens and that the design just has AF inconsistencies. I have not experienced those problems with the 3 ART Lenses that I own on my stellar 5DIV. ...but I guess that the world is not perfect out there. Sorry to hear of your problems. I will keep my fingers crossed as the results I get from my 135mm ART lens are so incredible that I would hate to start wrestling with AF issues. Mine has been spot-on, out of the box with no calibration on the Sigma Dock. BTW I think that the Sigma Dock is a MUST if you own any ART Lenses.

The 3rd party lenses is a lottery. I had the 120-300 and it was accurate, the 85 Art requires AFMA, but it's just one value and it's consistent (5dsr & 1dx2).

I'm wondering if anyone tried the Sigma lenses on a mirrorless Canon body, like the M5? Theoretically it should work super accurate, just not sure about AF speed.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I seem to recall the 85 Art and 135 Art got a newer, more powerful AF motor setup. Though I believe this was intended for focusing speed, most reviews I've read have placed the 85 + 135 Art lenses a clear cut above for AF accuracy/consistency than the 35 + 50 Art. The 85 and 135 Art lenses' AF is not flawless, but I've heard far fewer comments of 'the AF just occasionally completely misses, even after dock/AFMA' like we've all heard from the 35 + 50 Art lenses.

- A

Upvote 0