An RF-S ultra-wide lens is next from Canon [CR2]

D

Deleted member 393686

What we know:
  • Canon told one minor manufacturer that made an autofocus RF lens (Viltrox) to stop infringing on their IP
  • Samyang/Rokinon made and sold AF lenses for the RF mount, those do not seem to be available anymore
  • Meike reportedly announced an AF lens for the RF mount, but at this point it seems to be vaporware
  • Canon has licensed the RF mount to Red, who produces cameras compatible with RF lenses
  • Canon has stated, "It is true that we are approached by many third-party manufacturers. We hear their requests. However, we have no direction or policy as such on this subject. Naturally, I cannot share more details with you, but what I can say is that if it aligns with our strategy, we will take the necessary measures on a case-by-case basis." (translated)
What some of us believe:

Canon blocks 3rd party RF lenses*​

Well, that's the internet for you.

*And apparently the photography world is in an uproar about this and it spells certain d00m for Canon
I will put it in another way:
You will have to ask us if you can use our patent. Then we will think about it. For now the answer is no. Maybe In the future.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I will put it in another way:
You will have to ask us if you can use our patent. Then we will think about it. For now the answer is no. Maybe In the future.
Patent law does not preclude reverse engineering. The EF protocols were never licensed, and there were plenty of 3rd party lenses even before the IP hit expiry. It's possible Canon took steps to prevent successful reverse engineering. The lens mount itself is not patented anyway, just the camera side and the communications protocols. That's why there are no issues with the many 3rd party manual focus lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I found this:

Maybe. If I had to guess, I'd say no. Typically (historically, at least) only one of the designs in a patent shows up as an actual product, if any (usually none do). Example 1 in that patent is the design of the RF 15-30/4.5-6.3 that launched last year.

More importantly, example two would probably become a 10-15mm f/3.5-4.5 (not 10-14/3.5-4 as suggested), but I highly doubt we'd see something like that from Canon, especially since the RF-S kit lenses starts at 18mm.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 393686

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
Using Google Translate on the Japanese:

Price information of RF28mm F2.8 STM and mysterious new camera

Rumors of Canon's new products became a hot topic on 5ch. It seems that there was a note at an overseas store that the selling price of the camera was added as "RF28mm F2.8 STM".

His digital camera board on 5ch

New Canon products added to overseas dealers

RF28mm F2.8 STM: $299

Mirrorless camera (SKU: 6052C0**)
Body: $479
Lens Kit: $599
Double Zoom Kit: $829

That's what I'm talking about.
Since this is an anonymous bulletin board, we cannot confirm the authenticity of the posts. However, if it is the same source as here recently, it can be said that it is quite promising information. It seems to be a small single focus lens and an unidentified new camera that is small and lightweight and seems to be the same genealogy as RF16 STM and RF50 STM. The camera is very reasonably priced, and it seems to be an entry camera that is even lower than the EOS R50. (The body price of EOS R50 is $ 679)

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Most third party manufacturers don't have permission to use the RF system fully, e.g. the AF function. Some EF lenses work OK with an adapter, but no new ones designed for RF.
I previously owned the Sigma 50mm Art, and currently own the 24mm and 35mm Art lenses. These lenses work better on RF than they ever did on native EF mount. The only lenses I’ve heard that had any real problems were the Tamron and Sigma 150-600 lenses having focus pulsing issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 393686

I previously owned the Sigma 50mm Art, and currently own the 24mm and 35mm Art lenses. These lenses work better on RF than they ever did on native EF mount. The only lenses I’ve heard that had any real problems were the Tamron and Sigma 150-600 lenses having focus pulsing issues.
Yes, my Sigma 30mm 1.4 art works also fine as do some other, older ef lenses. But new, specially designed non manual lenses from third parties for RF are not allowed for now. I tested an Irix 150mm macro, that did not work. Also a Tokina 12-28 had focus issues (Both EF). Tamron issued a list with lenses that should work on RF using an adapter.

Upvote 0