Analysis: Canon EOS M6 Mark II shutter shock performance

righto.

+++ there is no physical "park" with the lower end IS units unlike the L lenses.

so it is all in camera firmware then. It occurs to me that you have identified yet another "phenomenon" that Canon would love to hear about and address.
Let Canon know?

no it's certainly not firmware (unless you mean EFCS being nerfed on the M6 II).

from what I gather the high end IS units actually Lock the elements, the IS units on the smaller / lighter lenses don't do that - so, in theory, they could be susceptible to shutter shock more than professional L IS.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
What a great example of SONY trolling.. Just Marvelous....

two completely opposite statements:

1. Canon has to seriously step up their game if they don't want to fall further behind. Sonys Shuttershockperformance is a gamechanger

and

2. Seriously, I never experienced any issue at all with any canon camera with "shutter shock".

The test demonstrated that a prime lens was unaffected. Only a specific group of cheap ef-m zoom lenses with likely AF group (IS) design issues was affected

you missed the /s tag, right? ;-)

Of course you are correct. Its a non issue and only in the lab relevant :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
you now the /s tag, right? ;-)

you now the /s tag, right? ;-)

as in [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]? well.. it has not been properly opened and closed.
/s stands for tag opened or closed? or what?

in a few words: /s was not a prominent enough sign or of evidence for me to acknowledge your message being sarcastic. it could have been a slip[[ of tongue7f as in slip of keyboardddd /s

apologies for coming across as a ten ton shiite truck. Am getting really seek of Sony unwashed trolls pestling around. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
as in [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]? well.. it has not been properly opened and closed.
/s stands for tag opened or closed? or what?

in a few words: /s was not a prominent enough sign or of evidence for me to acknowledge your message being sarcastic. it could have been a slip[[ of tongue7f as in slip of keyboardddd /s

apologies for coming across as a ten ton shiite truck. Am getting really seek of Sony unwashed trolls pestling around. :(
dont worry :)
this trolling is indeed annoying :-D In general the discussion about cameras became quite heated. Its like PC vs Mac, like a religion. While its only a tool in reality :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
this trolling is indeed annoying :-D In general the discussion about cameras became quite heated. Its like PC vs Mac, like a religion. While its only a tool in reality :)
I have nothing against SONY as a system. I see some major shortcomings, disadvantages and outright faults in it. However I feel uncomfortable and downright disturbed with mindless drivel thrown at such a great system Canon really is. not being defensive of my decision to shoot with Canon. I see how creatives are better of with Canon than with SONY. not talking about lens and camera body collectors and/or cross brand ship jumpers. Apologies for yet another long-winded post.
5D4_2392_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
If I am following this, it seems that if you want to make large prints using the M6II and some EF-M zooms, you may be able to see some quality improvement if you use the e shutter ( and a tripod of course). We don’t know whether there would be any observable quality difference in prints (or even measurable resolution differences) using the e shutter when shooting hand held.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
In all honesty, I'm not sure how significant it is for the M6 Mark II to not have an EFCS. Yes, it should still be addressed and hopefully fixed by Canon via a firmware update. But it doesn't make the M6 Mark II "crippled" from my short time with it so far. Example: I was taking some handheld shots of the full moon last night with my M6 Mark II and EF-M 55-200mm lens using both the mechanical shutter (set at 1/250) and electronic shutter. I was able to get some clear photos with both shutters settings, both with IS on. By no means is this anything scientific, but at least its a small example that shows the camera isn't "useless". And the M6 Mark II makes taking photos of the moon far easier then my M10 or M2 (thank you DPAF). Though I do wish I had brought my tripod and recently purchased EF-S 55-250mm lens :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also shutter shock doesn't happen with any another canon camera, because as we mention they all have EFCS.

While the prime did show it was mostly unaffected, the EF-M lenses used were also ones that are commonly used in the EF-M ecosystem, and in reality, they work on every other EOS-M camera EXCEPT the M6 Mark II while in mechanical shutter between around 1/80 and 1/150 of second shutter speed.

Why do you write off the faster speeds? From what I understand from your graphs, the similar results between mechanical and electronic shutters are due to high-iso bluring. So maybe we need more tests with faster speeds AND lower isos?

Another point : now you've managed to identify the settings to reproduce this phenomenon, I would like to see a couple of real world picture to assess the resolution loss in a real life context (some trees in the distance or something like that…).
(I don't have the M6 II to do it myself ;) )

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
Obviously, history seems to repeat itself after all at least in photography. I remember about the same "shock wave" when it was shown that Sony's original A7 had such a shutter shock problem with some shutter speeds.

Did Sony ever attempt to fix the issue on that camera?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Did Sony ever attempt to fix the issue on that camera?
I dunno, never used that camera, since this first gen FF ML from Sony had awkward menus and produced really bad colors out of the camera back then, so I preferred to stay with Canon. But since it was the A7's mechanical shutter, if I remember correctly, I doubt that it could be fixed simply by a firmware update.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I am with you, Peter, I am completely unreligious regarding camera, other gadget or car brands. I like to use Canon, because I know the gear will just work reliably when I am somewhere in the wilderness, with rain, dust etc. - Canon's quality is really great, in contrast to Nikon's decreasing quality since the past 10-15 years (we shoot Canon and Nikon side by side, and in the past ten years we had a lot of Nikon repairs vs only one Canon service required).

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
I dunno, never used that camera, since this first gen FF ML from Sony had awkward menus and produced really bad colors out of the camera back then, so I preferred to stay with Canon. But since it was the A7's mechanical shutter, if I remember correctly, I doubt that it could be fixed simply by a firmware update.

Ah, I figured the issue was due to the original A7 not having an EFCS (which I do see that it does have after looking it up). If the issue was due to the mechanical shutter itself, then no firmware update was going to fix that heh.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Ah, I figured the issue was due to the original A7 not having an EFCS (which I do see that it does have after looking it up). If the issue was due to the mechanical shutter itself, then no firmware update was going to fix that heh.
Since then, Sony really had developed their tech to impressive matureness.

Upvote 0
So not repeated on other copies of the camera? Yeah nah I am not going a step past there even tho I can spot other issues. This is not in any way shape or form a valid conclusion if this test is not repeated on several other copies - especially when others have not seen this with their camera.

Others have reported it too under testing see dpreview thread in EOS-M forums. And it's a common problem for cameras that do NOT use EFCS. Across multiple vendors.

kind of amusing though that you think I should purchase another M6 II to test though.

Upvote 0