Analysis: Canon EOS M6 Mark II shutter shock performance

I purchased this camera the day it was released and don't regret it at all! As for a small compact camera that I can take everywhere and have the quality images that it produces, you couldn't pry it out out my hands. As all cameras, they are not 100% perfect, but the M6 mk2 is a great camera.
without a doubt, I love my M6 Mark II.. when I go back to my M5 which at the time I thought was a great little camera, I now see just what a gulf between the M5 and M6 II really is. it's significant.

I usually explain away Canon "doing things", especially in articles on my site, but this is one case where I have no explanation. I'm hoping some of the Japanese websites pick it up, and we can put pressure on Canon to just fix the damned problem.

Edit: I noticed digicam-info picked it up yesterday, so it should start moving everywhere now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since then, Sony really had developed their tech to impressive matureness.
not really.

they still can't compress a RAW file right, their video was good back in 2016. Not so much anymore. h.264 at 100mb/s bitrate and 8bit depth is showing it's age. even with having smartphones they still can't figure out a touchscreen after all these years either. they are getting better but they have left a confusing amount of problems compared to other brands that you'd THINK would be easy for a company like Sony to simply fix.

Where I am seriously impressed with Sony is their optical creds. They have produced some mighty fine lenses over the last 4-5 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
thank you. just a quick one:
yes, it is may be a problem. however the problem is with specific type of lenses. and even more specific with how either focusing group or AF group being affected by mechanical shutter...
here is my point:
if mechanical shutter operation results in such a massive shock, it should have affect any lenses attached to the camera in the same size weight category.
it is the camera body that supposedly being shocked, vibrates and transfer vibrations onto the lens...
the prime lens not being affected disprove this theory.
IS or AF unit, is either not being properly parked or interfere with the mechanical shutter operation of this camera.

I would run a test in a manual focusing mode as well to ensure that we have enough information to arrive at a solid conclusion.
I updated the website article. Basic gist is that I did the 15-45mm EF-M handheld with almost exactly the same results. I'm pretty confident to say we have a shutter shock problem that is amplified by the EF-M IS units.

the rest of the testing with either go into a ) part 2 article and/or b) individual lens reviews.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
without a doubt, I love my M6 Mark II.. when I go back to my M5 which at the time I thought was a great little camera, I now see just what a gulf between the M5 and M6 II really is. it's significant.

I usually explain away Canon "doing things", especially in articles on my site, but this is one case where I have no explanation. I'm hoping some of the Japanese websites pick it up, and we can put pressure on Canon to just fix the damned problem.

Edit: I noticed digicam-info picked it up yesterday, so it should start moving everywhere now.

"Canon announces a version II of all EF-M IS lenses and introduces the 22/1.4 and 50/1.4 to round out the f/1.4 trinity, available immediately"

We can hope, right?

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
not really.

they still can't compress a RAW file right, their video was good back in 2016. Not so much anymore. h.264 at 100mb/s bitrate and 8bit depth is showing it's age. even with having smartphones they still can't figure out a touchscreen after all these years either. they are getting better but they have left a confusing amount of problems compared to other brands that you'd THINK would be easy for a company like Sony to simply fix.

Where I am seriously impressed with Sony is their optical creds. They have produced some mighty fine lenses over the last 4-5 years.
In terms IQ I meant with "mature" that it's acceptable now - if you don't know what Canon cameras can deliver. Funny, before Ming Thein's now famous real life field review of the 5DSR, you were really dissed at DPR or elsewhere when you tried to explain, that one of Canon's strengths were, and are, out-of-the-box colors (https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/08/19/long-term-canon-5dsr/). I think, this was based (1) on the fact that many gearheads posting on such sites have in fact often not any clue about photography including colors, and (2) on the missing chance to compare different systems in real life side by side. I have this possibility since many years because my wife has a Nikon gear that is comparable with my Canon gear, and we often shoot side by side the same settings. She was really seriously considering to change to Canon because of Canon's colors just out of the camera. If she wouldn't love her analogue Nikons, which she still uses, she would have changed. Well, now, Canon's "color science" has turned into a sort of written meme on the internet, what isn't bad:).

You are right, Sony makes some really great lenses nowadays, in particular their latest tele lenses are impressive. I think they now could stop copying Canon's white finish, they could be more self-confident now.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In terms IQ I meant with "mature" that it's acceptable now - if you don't know what Canon cameras can deliver. Funny, before Ming Thein's now famous real life field review of the 5DSR, you were really dissed at DPR or elsewhere when you tried to explain, that one of Canon's strengths were, and are, out-of-the-box colors (https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/08/19/long-term-canon-5dsr/). I think, this was based (1) on the fact that many gearheads posting on such sites have in fact often not any clue about photography including colors, and (2) on the missing chance to compare different systems in real life side by side. I have this possibility since many years because my wife has a Nikon gear that is comparable with my Canon gear, and we often shoot side by side the same settings. She was really seriously considering to change to Canon because of Canon's colors just out of the camera. If she wouldn't love her analogue Nikons, which she still uses, she would have changed. Well, now, Canon's "color science" has turned into a sort of written meme on the internet, what isn't bad:).

You are right, Sony makes some really great lenses nowadays, in particular their latest tele lenses are impressive. I think they now could stop copying Canon's white finish, they could be more self-confident now.
Canon introduced white for telephotos in 1976. Minolta followed suit about 10 years later, and Sony bought Minolta for its lenses, so they have been going a long while. I shoot half Canon and half Nikon now, and the colour science doesn't worry me as I shoot RAW.

Upvote 0