Announcing The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

The lack of a release date is frustrating.

I'm hoping Canon announces availability by the end of the month. That way it can announce the 5D4 in early March and release it later than month like it did with the 5D3 back in 2012. :)

It would be a great way to bolster year-end revenue given that Japanese companies run April-March fiscal years.

*crosses fingers*

Upvote 0
Brand new image sensor (as Nikon D5, although the quality might be questionable)
Brand new autofocus (as Nikon D5, less points, but very probably larger frame coverage)
New metering sensor with IR sensitivity (more pixels than D5, does D5's metering sensor have IR sensitivity?)
14 (16 fps) burst (2 fps faster thank D5)
Touch screen (similar to Nikon D5 but less resolution)
Fairly larger buffer (similar to D5)
Bigger viewfinder than D5
New battery (with hopefully longer life as D5)
4K/60 fps, 1080p/120 fps video (far better than D5)
Built-in GPS (better than D5)
Price 5999 USD lower than D5

In almost every aspect is 1DX2 similar to D5 or even better. Nothing revolutionary, but so doesn't Nikon D5.

Upvote 0
mclaren777 said:
The lack of a release date is frustrating.

I'm hoping Canon announces availability by the end of the month. That way it can announce the 5D4 in early March and release it later than month like it did with the 5D3 back in 2012. :)

It would be a great way to bolster year-end revenue given that Japanese companies run April-March fiscal years.

*crosses fingers*

I guees this is another leak, not an official announcement... hopefully availability date will follow soon.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
expatinasia said:
tpatana said:
beardsquad said:
Different battery.

Yea, was looking at the same. One more reason why I might stay with Mk1.

Though it does seem to be backward compatibile.

Specs says:

Battery Pack LP-E19 (or LP-E4N, LP-E4) x1

Interesting. First guess: Physical size is identical, new one is bit better optimized and has more capacity.

That would be good if I end up Mk2. I like having 1 extra battery and would be nice if same fits both.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
expatinasia said:
Though it does seem to be backward compatibile.

Specs says:

Battery Pack LP-E19 (or LP-E4N, LP-E4) x1

Interesting. First guess: Physical size is identical, new one is bit better optimized and has more capacity.

That would be good if I end up Mk2. I like having 1 extra battery and would be nice if same fits both.

I agree and I always have two batteries with me. But if you plan on doing a lot, or maybe just a little, of 4K video, then (many) more may be required.

On the 1DX the battery is amazing for stills and has lasted me all day shooting, but video drains it like nothing and I have frequently emptied both batteries before the end of a day. The last event I was at I actually took my charger with me, emptied one battery and immediately started charging it, rinse and repeat! I am very curious to see the reports on how much 4K 50/60 fps video you can actually record on one fully charged battery.

Upvote 0
This is a 1D C mk1.5 if there is no significant increase in low light performance. Sony is our only chance at forcing Canon to make REAL UPGRADES in their cameras from 1 generation to the next. This camera has been updated in a way that a product with a 2 year update cycle would be. NOT A FOUR YEAR CYCLE!!!!

WHAT IF a customer ONLY cares about taking actual pictures. Do they really have a reason to spend 1500.00 more on this camera compared to a 1Dx. What does it say when the previous generation camera is a true competitor to the new one....4 YEARS NEWER!!!

Upvote 0
hawaiisunsetphoto said:
Some nice improvements. I was hoping that we'd see a silent shutter mode as in the 5D Mark III.

Isn't that what this bit (under Live View) means? I don't know.

Silent Shooting: Provided.

brianftpc said:
This is a 1D C mk1.5 if there is no significant increase in low light performance. Sony is our only chance at forcing Canon to make REAL UPGRADES in their cameras from 1 generation to the next. This camera has been updated in a way that a product with a 2 year update cycle would be. NOT A FOUR YEAR CYCLE!!!!

WHAT IF a customer ONLY cares about taking actual pictures. Do they really have a reason to spend 1500.00 more on this camera compared to a 1Dx. What does it say when the previous generation camera is a true competitor to the new one....4 YEARS NEWER!!!

I agree with a lot of what you say there, brianftpc.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
brianftpc said:

I don't think Canon (or Nikon for that matter) has released any official high ISO sample images of the flagships, so let's wait and see what ISO improvements (if any) are there. I am personally excited by the increased fps, higher resolution and the ability to use AF with f/8 lenses.

I used to think about video features in DSLRs in the same way you do ("why do I need it? Canon should stop spending R&D on it! Do something for photographers!"), but I realized that if the video features helped Canon sell a lot more cameras and drive costs and prices down ($5999 launch price vs $6799 of the original 1DX) then I am all for it even if I will never use it. Sometimes the video innovations can even be useful to me as a stills photographer (e.g. Dual Pixel/tracking AF for Live View).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Jack Douglas said:
So what exactly does this mean:

"significantly more information in the LCD display and presents AF points in red, increasing visibility in dark locations where AF is typically difficult and in situations where the ambient light makes the AF frame difficult to see."

Jack

The AF points are finally red all the time, not completely black like they were on the 1dx1, and later blinking red with firmware update.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
"Dual Pixel CMOS AF & Movie Servo AF for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting.

With significant improvements in AF operation, the EOS-1D X Mark IIcamera can be an indispensible and remarkably portable moviemaking tool. Continuous AF, even during 4K recording, is made easy thanks to the EOS-1D X Mark II’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which is compatible with all Canon EF lenses. Focus points can be selected automatically, or specified on the camera’s new touch panel LCD screen. Critical focus throughout the frame can be easily confirmed by enlarging stills grabbed from video recordings. The EOS-1D X Mark II’s Movie Servo AF is compatible with all frame rates and resolutions, and can be customized to set tracking sensitivity, AF speed and even Face Tracking priority. These advanced features help make the EOS-1D X Mark II a truly versatile and convenient camera for 4K and Full HD moviemaking."

It will be indeed a truly versatile camera for HD moviemaking if I read this right
1 - compatible with all L lenses - face tracking priority as well?
2 - can we magnify during video recording, or only once stopped?
3 - can we listen and record sound simultaneously?
4 - how about heat during long recording?
5 - what does that mean "selected automatically"? - can be moved around prior to recording or only in deadly center points.
6- can we record simultaneously on both cards when in HD or has to go with HDMI for a back-up?
Touch screen during video is great.

I am not worried too much about C-log and DR, but I care alot about the face tracking and 1 stop ISO improvement. If yes, I will buy one when the canadian is back on track.

Upvote 0