Announcing The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Jack Douglas said:
So what exactly does this mean:

"significantly more information in the LCD display and presents AF points in red, increasing visibility in dark locations where AF is typically difficult and in situations where the ambient light makes the AF frame difficult to see."

Jack

Translucent LCD in the viewfinder can overlay various information, result is similar as informations in EVF (or Live view). 7D2 does this.
AF points will be marked by red color (similar to the pre-1DX 1D bodies), which makes them better visible in low light compared to black color used in 1D X.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So the center point is the only point more sensitive than -1 ev? Better spread of AF, that's nice if one can actually track with them.

No mention of DR improvements, like they had on the C300 or whichever it was.
Metering zones are down from 252 to 216, although new RGB sensor.

The important part for me, is the AF, and that can be A LOT better than it just seems on paper, remember that the 5d3 and 1dx AF looked very similar on paper, in real life they are not even close.

I've always said I love when Canon goes all-in. They did with the 1dX, they did not do it with the 1dX2.

Upvote 0
canon1dxman said:
hawaiisunsetphoto said:
Some nice improvements. I was hoping that we'd see a silent shutter mode as in the 5D Mark III.
How silent it actually is, remains to be seen, but there are 3 silent shooting modes in the spec. Single, 3fps and 5fps.

Thanks! Looking forward to the initial reviews.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
kozakm00 said:
Jack Douglas said:

"significantly more information in the LCD display and presents AF points in red, increasing visibility in dark locations where AF is typically difficult and in situations where the ambient light makes the AF frame difficult to see."

Jack

Translucent LCD in the viewfinder can overlay various information, result is similar as informations in EVF (or Live view). 7D2 does this.
AF points will be marked by red color (similar to the pre-1DX 1D bodies), which makes them better visible in low light compared to black color used in 1D X.

So it's possible just like the 1D IV - made my day and a few other's day I believe. But wait - is only the selected spot AF point going to be continuously red? I fear not.

Jack

Upvote 0
I'm quite positive about this announcement even though I have no business buying a 1DXII. On paper the specs don't jump out but if you read more about each feature it's clear this is a highly refined, fast and precise AFing beast. They've taken the 1DX and fine tuned it into a monster sports and wildlife camera. Things that will get those folk excited -

AF at f/8 on all AF points
Wider AF point spread across the frame
Select AF point with touchscreen and DPAF in LiveView
170 continuous RAW in burst mode using CFast

Add in the improved tracking and increase in fps and I can see why many would want to upgrade. It all adds up to fewer missed shots for those who rely on their gear for professional work. It's pretty much bang on what most of us expected too.

But you know there will still be those who will say "Come on Canon it took you over 4 years and it doesn't even transform into the Millennium Falcon, it's a piece of garbage!" :p

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
kozakm00 said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

So it's possible just like the 1D IV - made my day and a few other's day I believe. But wait - is only the selected spot AF point going to be continuously red? I fear not.

Jack

Who knows. But this topic was one of the most complained about, so hopefully Canon worked it out...

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hi,
IMHO, the "All AF points support F8" is big for birder. If they come out 7D3 tomorrow with only the "All AF point support F8" improvement, I'll get one... Hmm... l think Canon can expect the 2x tele-extender to sell very well after this.

Anyway, look like the 16fps live view support AF with DPAF... if it work and track very well, I'll look forward to the next Canon mirrorless camera with DPAF.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
dilbert said:
So shooting speed...

* 16 fps in live view mode (shutter up)
* 14 fps in normal shooting (conditions apply)

... which really amounts to a 2fps improvement on the 1DX (which was 12fps and 14fps with the mirror locked up.)

But Canon also mention CFast at the end of that paragraph. I wonder if there is an implication here that if you're not using CFast then you won't get 14fps or 16fps?

Needs testing.
Hi,
You should still get 14/16fps with CF card... only the buffer become 73 RAWs.

Just wonder does the video recording still had the 30min restriction??

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Light_Pilgrim said:
Just wondering, how does it stand against the D5? There is nothing extraordinary that I ser from specs, but I am not the target audience as I am into labdscapes and portraits. What are the thoughts of those who can thorougly compare to D5?
It'll be very interesting. D5 has new AF module and people expect better AF tracking ability. D5 also have higher native ISO, probably doesn't mean much. But expectation is high here too. 1Dx II is ahead of Nikon in almost every spec of AF except the number of AF points. (number of focus points at f/8, cross type at f/8, dual cross type sensors that Nikon doesn't have etc). It will be very interesting to see head to head comparison in both AF and ISO. ISO comparison is easy. It's always hard to know AF performance.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Uno said:
Spec wise 4k at 60 fps is the only thing that stands out. I can't think of any other DSLR that provides that at the moment. What's more important is of course how the camera will actually perform, but either way it wont be my cup of tea.

Without C log and improved bit rate the 4k at 60 is not going to cut it for me

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be really interesting when its tested.
It will be a very good camera but doesn't look amazingly better than its predecessor.
Video seems to be the main leap forward
I wonder will they have any heat issues with 4K like Sony do in their compacts.
Maybe there is more room to dissipate heat.
I'll be really interested in low light / high ISO performance.
Hopefully there are some reviews on their way.

Upvote 0
kozakm00 said:
Brand new image sensor (as Nikon D5, although the quality might be questionable)
Brand new autofocus (as Nikon D5, less points, but very probably larger frame coverage)
New metering sensor with IR sensitivity (more pixels than D5, does D5's metering sensor have IR sensitivity?)
14 (16 fps) burst (2 fps faster thank D5)
Touch screen (similar to Nikon D5 but less resolution)
Fairly larger buffer (similar to D5)
Bigger viewfinder than D5
New battery (with hopefully longer life as D5)
4K/60 fps, 1080p/120 fps video (far better than D5)
Built-in GPS (better than D5)
Price 5999 USD lower than D5

In almost every aspect is 1DX2 similar to D5 or even better. Nothing revolutionary, but so doesn't Nikon D5.
Excellent list of comparison. I think D5's higher number of AF points got lot of attention. It'll be hard to measure the AF ability between two cams. But I hope some pros can find some differences. Also somehow there's an assumption higher native ISO (51200 vs 102400) will have an advantage in higher ISO images. I personally don't believe so. However this time the comparison will be apple to apple. Let's see the how close they are in IQ.

One important thing. The buffer may be limited by slowest card if both are active. If you are using second slot as backup, then the buffer will be limited to CF. D4 had this issue and now D500. In D5 you have a choice here.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
wildbirdimages said:
kozakm00 said:
Brand new autofocus (as Nikon D5, less points, but very probably larger frame coverage)
I think D5's higher number of AF points got lot of attention.

Should keep in mind that only 55 of the D5's AF points are user-selectable. The rest are "assist" points (presumably chiefly used to help with subject tracking).

Upvote 0