Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
The existence of the MP-E, as well as having 50, 100 and 180mm macro lenses and macro flashes was a strong consideration for picking Canon and the 20D when I moved from P&S to SLR.
Do you still use your 20D? I just decided yesterday to buy new 511a batteries and play around with it after letting it sit for past few years. Have you used the video output? I was going to try the analog video output if it's any good, found a cable.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Do you still use your 20D? I just decided yesterday to buy new 511a batteries and play around with it after letting it sit for past few years. Have you used the video output? I was going to try the analog video output if it's any good, found a cable.
I do actually still use it :) Once a year I check the batteries and take a few pictures with it. Right now it’s on my desk to help with figuring out how to cobble together a camera trap housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Just noticed this, 4 hrs ago uploaded. Seems Canon shows M200, discontinued in this new Canon video?
The m200 has been discontinued in Japan.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Or maybe this is "Air" 200 ... sorry, silly french pun :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The existence of the MP-E, as well as having 50, 100 and 180mm macro lenses and macro flashes was a strong consideration for picking Canon and the 20D when I moved from P&S to SLR.
Same here, but unfortunately only the 100mm macro has been redesigned for RF mount. The EF lenses are excellent, but can't match the RF 100mm macro for stabilisation, AF speed or close-focusing. And the old 180mm macro, while being a stunning lens, lacks optical stabilisation, which severely hampers its use when stalking living insects.

I find it rather sad (although understandable, as Canon will want to prioritise more popular lenses) that a stabilised version of the 180mm (preferably F5.6 to keep weight down) is still missing from the line up, with no hints or rumours of one either.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Hence why I mentioned it, new ad with a discontinued product in it? lol. I figured the webcam software advertising might be updated showing say newer cameras if it is a new ad, less than 1000 views when I saw it uploaded.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Same here, but unfortunately only the 100mm macro has been redesigned for RF mount. The EF lenses are excellent, but can't match the RF 100mm macro for stabilisation, AF speed or close-focusing. And the old 180mm macro, while being a stunning lens, lacks optical stabilisation, which severely hampers its use when stalking living insects.

I find it rather sad (although understandable, as Canon will want to prioritise more popular lenses) that a stabilised version of the 180mm (preferably F5.6 to keep weight down) is still missing from the line up, with no hints or rumours of one either.
I’ve changed my mind a bit on how I want a 200-ish RF macro to look. The past months I’ve setting up a camera trap in the garden at night, which needs every bit of aperture to focus. The RF100 and RF85 f/2 will detect eyes, the EF180 won’t.
So f/5.6 will likely be too dark for that. But I suspect I’ll rig up a small light if an RF180 gets announced :)

R5+EF180L, ISO6400, flash, cropped to 8MP, DxO PL5 to get rid of the noise.
20220910 0246 15 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS R5 - EF180mm f-3.5L Macro USM at 180 mm  -_.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Hence why I mentioned it, new ad with a discontinued product in it? lol. I figured the webcam software advertising might be updated showing say newer cameras if it is a new ad, less than 1000 views when I saw it uploaded.
The EOS M200 is still for sale in the USA market.
Might as well market them until they sell out.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
The EOS M200 is still for sale in the USA market.
Might as well market them until they sell out.
I guess to sell subscription software, they are enticing low end customers... I saw that still in stock after posting, but really frustrated right now about the M thing and need to buy locally outside the US. The M was such a nice new low cost re-entry for me back into photography after years of powershot and smartphones only.

Upvote 0
I’ve changed my mind a bit on how I want a 200-ish RF macro to look. The past months I’ve setting up a camera trap in the garden at night, which needs every bit of aperture to focus. The RF100 and RF85 f/2 will detect eyes, the EF180 won’t.
So f/5.6 will likely be too dark for that. But I suspect I’ll rig up a small light if an RF180 gets announced :)

R5+EF180L, ISO6400, flash, cropped to 8MP, DxO PL5 to get rid of the noise.
View attachment 206282
Great shot! But out of curiosity, why such a high ISO if you were using flash?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Great shot! But out of curiosity, why such a high ISO if you were using flash?
I set it to auto ISO to get AF to work better and with RF lenses I’d like to use the H+ drive mode and the flash needs to keep uit with 12fps. But it’s mostly AF, it is sensitive to exposure in low light.
I wonder if ‘safety shift’ is pushing up the ISO when the flash is ready, I would expect auto ISO to pick ISO 1600. Something to try when I set it up again :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 393411

"I don't personally care about the things they improved, so they didn't improve anything" :rolleyes:

4 extra mp. LOL. No BSI sensor. Given that the Sony A7 IV has a BSI sensor and is considerably cheaper here in Australia, Canon is already lagging behind. I'll probably sell all my Canon gear and switch to a Sony A1 with the 200-600. Better AF than anything Canon produces currently (just over the R5 by all accounts) and matches or outperforms the R5 and R3. Oh, and tonnes of lenses to use unlike the RF system where Canon is doing everything in their power to use their monopoly to kill any RF competitors. Here's hoping the US DOJ investigates Canon (the ACCC is investigating them for this - you're welcome).

Was going to try and have a serious discussion and point out why I think you're wrong.

But decided not to feed the troll.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Oh, I love you too. Typiical Canon fanboy. Canon could release a turd and you'd be saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The R6 II has an extra 4mp (whoopie doo - the A7 IV has 33mp and is $1400 AUD cheaper). I don't care for video whatsoever and I don't spray and pray, so have no need for 40fps. Prey do tell what other "upgrades" the R6 II has? Same body. Same weather sealing. Same LCD screen and EVF. No word on high ISO performance yet, cos Canon is hiding that from consumers and hoping people will fork out money for pre-orders that are non-refundable. Rolling shutter marginally better by all accounts, and the same for AF performance. A slightly redesigned UI button layout change, that doesn't really bother me in either the original R6 or R6 II - I can take it or leave it in either design layout personally.

Perhaps the only troll here is you, since you resorted to name calling.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Typiical Canon fanboy. Canon could release a turd and you'd be saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Well if I'm a "Canon Fanboy" then I must also be a Sony fanboy and a Nikon fanboy and a Fujifilm fanboy and an Olympus fanboy, as I've used all of those brands...

You clearly haven't followed my posting history, in which it's pretty obvious to anyone that I give criticism where it is due, and praise where it is due, regardless of the brand under discussion.

The R6 II has an extra 4mp (whoopie doo - the A7 IV has 33mp and is $1400 AUD cheaper). I don't care for video whatsoever and I don't spray and pray, so have no need for 40fps. Prey do tell what other "upgrades" the R6 II has? Same body. Same weather sealing. Same LCD screen and EVF. No word on high ISO performance yet, cos Canon is hiding that from consumers and hoping people will fork out money for pre-orders that are non-refundable. Rolling shutter marginally better by all accounts, and the same for AF performance. A slightly redesigned UI button layout change, that doesn't really bother me in either the original R6 or R6 II - I can take it or leave it in either design layout personally.

As it happens, I agree that a jump to 24MP makes little difference, and I don't shoot video or "spray and pray" either. The R6ii is a modest upgrade but a welcome one, as it improves on the R6 by adding features that some people (not you, but you're not the only dude on the planet) will appreciate.

For me, the value of being able to shoot at 40fps is that it makes possible hand held HDR and even handheld focus-bracketing, with the necessary sequences shot in a split second, reducing movement between frames to a minimum. That feature alone is a valuable upgrade over the R6.

Perhaps the only troll here is you, since you resorted to name calling.
You were correctly referred to as a troll because you gave away your prejudices by using the expression "Canon Cripple Hammer"...

Upvote 0