Another Canon Patent on IBIS + IS

CanonNews has uncovered another patent on IBIS and IS working together in a future Canon camera.
This patent, according to CanonNews seems to be dealing with the potential of the composition to change as IS and IBIS work together while taking the picture.

Canon seems to have spent (since this application was submitted June 2018) a considerable amount of time and effort working out all the details necessary for the effective operation of dual IS before the first adaptation of it in a camera.
Because the sensor is deep inside the camera body in the diagram, also there is no pentaprism assembly and Canon specifically mentions an EV, this camera body appears to be an EF camera with an EVF.  While it’s certainly possible that Canon may decide to make an EF camera “mirrorless” it’s altogether possible that this was just one of the various options that Canon was considering at the time of patent...

Continue reading...

Interesting. This was always my biggest question with respect to IBIS in a DSLR - if the sensor is moving in the body, how much might that composition change between my intended composition through the OVF and what the sensor sees? On a mirrorless camera that should be a non-issue as the sensor read out to the EVF should match, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case with an OVF. I'm sure it would be a minor change, but depending on how particular you are about a hand-held composition it could be a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
Interesting. This was always my biggest question with respect to IBIS in a DSLR - if the sensor is moving in the body, how much might that composition change between my intended composition through the OVF and what the sensor sees? On a mirrorless camera that should be a non-issue as the sensor read out to the EVF should match, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case with an OVF. I'm sure it would be a minor change, but depending on how particular you are about a hand-held composition it could be a deal breaker.
this is something slightly different. if IBIS + IS engages as you shoot, your composition may be different. Had nothing to do with OVF's in this patent applicaiton, it was specifically mentioned in the patent it was an EVF based camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
hah! I finally got this in the right forum.

and PS . CR Guy is out and about with his Misses in Prague or Madrid or somewhere.. drinking Guinness and having a great old time. So you all are stuck with me. Happy Holidays!
He better be drinking Czech Pils in Prague and not Irish Stout!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
hah! I finally got this in the right forum.

and PS . CR Guy is out and about with his Misses in Prague or Madrid or somewhere.. drinking Guinness and having a great old time. So you all are stuck with me. Happy Holidays!

In Prague it would be Pilsner for sure :)

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
This is an appreciated though inevitable development. The amazingly competent Panasonic G9 with its Dual IS continues to impress me, I miss it to some degree when using my Canon’s. Notably on the G9 the Dual IS enables me to use a lower iso, a critical advantage on the small MFT sensor. That same advantage on FF will be awesome.

-pw

Upvote 0
Any camera currently with IBIS with pentaprism (aka OVF)?
Minolta actually had this in their only 2 DSLRs before selling out to Sony. I also believe Sony continued its use when they still made DSLR's. I had the Minolta 7D and it was a great camera! Sold everything and moved to Canon when Sony cancelled all the long lenses as I had ambitions to buy a 600f4 one day. The IBIS worked ok, but that was years ago. I'm sure it's much better. The disadvantage was that you didn't have the image stabilized in the viewfinder, just as it took the exposure. I don't recall ever noticing my composition changing as a result. There was no live view at the time so I didn't have that option

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
You should study up on the Pentax FF K-1 and K-1 Mk II. These are DSLRs that employ a very good IBIS system. These bodies are also nearly 'bullet-proof'. I think that should allay any fears you may have about IBIS in a DSLR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0