Antarctic Photo Tours- Recommendations/Experiences Please?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I'm considering an Antarctic trip to photograph mainly penguins and other animals. The denser the population of animals the better. The more time on the ground and off a ship the better.

Does anyone have experiences and recommendations good/bad to share regarding travel companies and best times to go?

Thank you all so much in advance.

Scott

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I went with Gadventures to both the Antarctic and the Arctic and finally to the Galapagos. Was very happy with them(barring a cancellation initially to the Antarctic due to mechanical issues-They eventually gave me an upgraded trip at no extra cost). Not the most expensive option and while not luxurious is was surprisingly well appointed. two landings(or kayaking if you took that option) a day barring a couple of times when a slow boat cruise was the better options(places like the Lemair channel etc). Nat geo is expensive but apparently well worth it. As are several others. My advice would be to get on to the Antarctic forums on trip advisor as there is a wealth of information to be had there.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
This would be one exciting trip. Not many people in the world have ever been there. Have fun, Scott!!!
Thank you CanonFanBoy. Right now it is a pipe dream, but, if I don't start, it won't happen. This may be my last big trip before I retire, and after that, no big trips. I have wanted to go cavort with the penguins for a long time (had fun with the Jackass Penguins in Boulders Beach, S. Africa) and I also feel an urgency due to global warming.

I'm thinking about a year to 18 months from now.

Scott

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I went with Gadventures to both the Antarctic and the Arctic and finally to the Galapagos. Was very happy with them(barring a cancellation initially to the Antarctic due to mechanical issues-They eventually gave me an upgraded trip at no extra cost). Not the most expensive option and while not luxurious is was surprisingly well appointed. two landings(or kayaking if you took that option) a day barring a couple of times when a slow boat cruise was the better options(places like the Lemair channel etc). Nat geo is expensive but apparently well worth it. As are several others. My advice would be to get on to the Antarctic forums on trip advisor as there is a wealth of information to be had there.
Great suggestion Aussie shooter. I didn't even know one existed.

Thanks.

Scott.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thank you CanonFanBoy. Right now it is a pipe dream, but, if I don't start, it won't happen. This may be my last big trip before I retire, and after that, no big trips. I have wanted to go cavort with the penguins for a long time (had fun with the Jackass Penguins in Boulders Beach, S. Africa) and I also feel an urgency due to global warming.

I'm thinking about a year to 18 months from now.

Scott
Full of envy over here in Irving! Can't wait to see the photos!

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
And also. Book the longest trip you can afford. If you get one that only gives 4 days on the peninsula then bad weather could shorten that down to very little. O e that has at least 8-10 days of landing is preferable as it allows for weather to change. And while i didn't do it(this time) everyone says an itinerary with south Georgia is incredible.

Upvote 0