Any bird experts around here?

kodakrome

EOS RP
Oct 25, 2015
I'm trying to identify a bird that I'm not really sure of. It's a large bird that I've seen numerous times near the South Carolina shore. Looks very similar to a black-crowned night heron, but is brown in color. The ones that I've seen have been slightly smaller than the night heron, but with similar shape and the same orange eyes. This is a large bird - the ones I've seen look about 16 or 18 inches tall - much bigger than a green heron. The brown color looks similar to an American bittern, but the bittern neck I think is longer and skinnier. I've seen photos of young night herons that looked gray, but not brown.
Anyway, if there's anyone out there who can share some words of wisdom, I thank you in advance for your insight.
Photo #2 is the mystery bird.
Thanks

Attachments

• black-crowned night heron.jpg
    black-crowned night heron.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
  • mystery bird.jpg
    mystery bird.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 202

hbr

EOS RP
Oct 22, 2016
Kodachrome, I believe it is a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron. see this link with photos: http://www.surfbirds.com/namericanbirds/heron-egret.html.

Just my guess,

Brian

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, it's a juvenile of the same bird.

Check out the Sibley Birds app, it's a great resource (particularly when you're in the field and cell service is spotty).

ISO64

EOS M6 Mark II
Jul 2, 2015
Yes, a juvenile BCNH. You can see that the crown has started to darken, and some body feathers are getting brighter.

Great find, true nature shot!