Any large $$$ purchase tips? (How to save money buying gear on credit/debit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JerryFish

When the next rev of 5D comes out, I'm planning on purchasing it. My question is, I traditionally purchase "big ticket items" on my credit card, to receive the ~1.5% back via the credit card.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips from buying their gear to save some money? (eg spittling the price on multiple cards.... a card which gives 3% back for camera gear... etc).

Id like to know how you guys actually buy your gear.

Mar 25, 2011
Are you able to pay off the card purchase? Most of the cards that give you a small rebate have such high interest rates on balances that you would lose that small rebate in one or two months just due to the high rates.

I use my Costco Amex card and get a small rebate, but the balance is paid automatically every month. If I needed to finance something really necessary (A new camera isn't), I'd do it thru my credit union.

Upvote 0
J

JerryFish

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Are you able to pay off the card purchase? Most of the cards that give you a small rebate have such high interest rates on balances that you would lose that small rebate in one or two months just due to the high rates.

I use my Costco Amex card and get a small rebate, but the balance is paid automatically every month. If I needed to finance something really necessary (A new camera isn't), I'd do it thru my credit union.

Nota question of being able afford it or to pay it off, just a method of saving money while doing so.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
For me....I use my American Express Card(earn 1 point for every dollar) to buy visa or american express gift cards on ebay.

For example: Can you get $100 Visa or American Express gift cards on Ebay for $95 - $98, sometime less and pay them off with your credit card - earn points at same time.

Again..this method works for me :)

Good Luck,
Dylan

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Dylan777 said:
For me....I use my American Express Card(earn 1 point for every dollar) to buy visa or american express gift cards on ebay.

For example: Can you get $100 Visa or American Express gift cards on Ebay for $95 - $98, sometime less and pay them off with your credit card - earn points at same time.

Again..this method works for me :)

Good Luck,
Dylan

I forgot to mention...use your credit card to buy Visa or American Express gift cards, ONLY - if you knew you going to use it and you MUST pay the hold balance next month.

My wife and I have NOT yet use our ATM for last 6years. We put all our purchases on our American Express and pay off the balance following month.

We earned over $2000 last year in cash value.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.