Any photographers out there own a motorcycle?

M

micklevanon

I've been riding with full gear on any number of bikes, from a PC800, as someone here posted, to a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and a BMW r1200GS. I put a trunk on everything I ride, my tamrac backpack or my think tank bags fit in there. If I'm traveling by bike my gitzo traveler fits in there too. The trunk is a Givi E46. The advantage of carrying a backpack on a bike is that if you need the trunk for other things, like groceries, you just wear the backpack.

On the BMW I also have Micatech Pilot cases which are large enough to hold just about anything I care to put in them, including my Gitzo 3531L with the center column removed and the ball head in my camera bag. Micatech also makes a 60L trunk that you can outfit as a camera case, or, as I'm going to do, fit my Lowpro x100 roller case in it. When I get to a location the camera bag comes out, the riding gear (all of it, I'm also ATGATT) goes in, locked and safe. As for concerns about someone loading both the bike and the gear onto a flatbed, I never leave the gear on the bike.

You can also carry a small camera (G10 or such) or a body with a single lens and maybe a spare lens in most tank bags. If you're going to do that I highly recommend lining the bottom of the tank bag with foam, old towels, or t-shirts, something to cushion it a bit.

Either way you want, all it takes is some creativity. I've ridden across the US and in other parts of the world in this fashion. I find when I travel it also helps me pack less clothes.

m

Upvote 0