Any regrets for leaving camera at home?

I have had regrets about not having my camera with me, but not normally with wildlife. If I am going to be going anywhere outside the city the camera is always packed.

jcollett said:
Don Haines said:
One night, while walking home from the local bar, I saw bigfoot and Elvis, but with no camera to take a picture, nobody believes me....

Seriously though..... the site where I work is secure.... fences all around.... 3 kilometers by 8 kilometers in size, and contains a firing range.... It is the perfect spot for wildlife.... the firing range is crawling with wildlife. (It is a career ending move to shoot anything other than targets). Problem is, no cameras allowed. I have seen deer by the thousands, bear, moose, wolves, coyotes, fox, a cougar, there are several Osprey nests, an eagle nest, scads of Red Tailed hawks..... I keep having to chase wild turkeys away....AND I CAN'T TAKE PICTURES WITH MY CAMERA!!!!!

What a country! Shoot bullets ... great. Shoot pictures ... no way! Guess you'll need to rig up a camera to look something like this to get in.

http://www.royarden.com/blog/pictures/115940.jpg

Jcollette, it might seem amusing but I have actually rigged up an old rifle stock to hold my DSLR. I did it simply because I had the parts to do it. It isn't that convenient for changing settings (I am looking into wiring up an extra set of controls on the stock for that) but I couldn't believe how much easier it is to track moving animals with it. It is also great if you are laying in the scrub waiting for a shot as it is a lot quicker and easier to keep it steady when shooting handheld. Te downside is the strange looks that you get when unloading the car at the national park carpark. I have been stopped and questioned by the rangers a few times already, but once they get a proper look at the rig they are fine with it.

Upvote 0