Any thoughts on sending lens for Service

Feb 9, 2019
Hi Seniors

Any thoughts on sending lens for Service during Covid situation in US! Do you think it will be stuck with them for long long time or chance of loosing it etc!
Do I need to take any type of insurance etc! {Sending for first time}

Why am I sending it: My 24-70mkii is on 7th year, rubber grip is very loose and i just want an overall cleaning service just so that it runs longer

Thanks

Maru

Please note that earlier i posted under Rumors -Lenses but I dont have any option to delete it..sorry for posting in wrong area :(

Mar 25, 2011
It may take longer for service, but Canon is fairly fast. Insurance is up to you. It covers you against loss, but for damage, you will likely get nowhere.

The main thing you can do is to pack it in a greatly oversized box. Put it in a plastic zip lock bag to keep it clean, wrap it in a 2 inch layer of bubble wrap put it in a inner box, then wrap that box in more bubble wrap and put in a heavy wall outer box. You want to have it safe even if dropped on concrete from 8 ft high, and safe from crushing in a truck with other heavy boxes thrown on top of it. Even then, sometimes something really heavy smashes it. I ship 50 pound boxes of cast iron parts, and if they drop one of those on it ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
It may take longer for service, but Canon is fairly fast. Insurance is up to you. It covers you against loss, but for damage, you will likely get nowhere.

The main thing you can do is to pack it in a greatly oversized box. Put it in a plastic zip lock bag to keep it clean, wrap it in a 2 inch layer of bubble wrap put it in a inner box, then wrap that box in more bubble wrap and put in a heavy wall outer box. You want to have it safe even if dropped on concrete from 8 ft high, and safe from crushing in a truck with other heavy boxes thrown on top of it. Even then, sometimes something really heavy smashes it. I ship 50 pound boxes of cast iron parts, and if they drop one of those on it ...
NJ shop is closed..shipping to VT is my only choice

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
NJ shop is closed..shipping to VT is my only choice
I think you mean VA, not VT. (Newport News). Are you a member of Canon Professional Services? If not, you might want to join first. With gold or platinum membership you will get expedited service and a discount on repairs. With gold you get free return shipping. With platinum you get free shipping to and from.

I recently sent a 1DX II in for clean and check, it arrived, was serviced and was shipped out the same day, but I'm a platinum member. Might take a few days more for silver or gold.

You should definitely insure the lens with your shipper. (Fed Ex, USPS or UPS).

Upvote 0