Anyone kept their 6d since upgrading to a 5d4?

Hi,
I just bought the 5d4 about a month ago and I'm really liking the camera. The pictures coming off this thing are beautiful. The improved dynamic range and detail it shows is what I'm liking most.
The only thing I'm surprised by is the difference in colors when compared to my original 6d are. Overall I like the 5d4 pictures better ,but In some scenarios I think I'll still want to use my 6d because I think it would look better for a certain scene. So I'm glad I kept it.
Just wondering if this is common amongst camera users, where you hold onto your older bodies because the pictures coming off of it have a certain look to them that maybe your new camera cant' reproduce? And should I expect this for every new body I buy going forward?
Thanks

Jul 26, 2011
There are probably many factors. Are you using the same glass, exact same settings, shooting in RAW, processing the same way? But yeah, I suspect different sensors also give different results. Maybe you are just used to your older camera? I would think you could process the 5DIV images in a way which would get you really close to the 6D look you like.

I kept my 5DII along with my 5DIV but that's only so I have a backup. I love my 5DIV. The dynamic range is great, so is high ISO shooting and the AF is my miles better than anything I have ever had.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
bereninga said:
I'm interested in seeing the differences.

Can anyone post any evidence of the color differences between the 6D and 5DIV images?

Here is the color response for each camera from dxomark. While they, deservedly, get some derision for their singular scores, if you look into the data, there is a lot of interesting things:

Canon 5DIV:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-5D-Mark-IV---Measurements

Canon 6D:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-6D---Measurements

The 5DIV seems to be getting a bit more of a response in the blue channel.

Upvote 0
Sorry for a slight offtopic, but how does it feel using a 6D when do you have a 5DIV with all the latest juice? I am asking because I am thinking about getting an older 6D (they seem ridiculously cheap as everyone is moving to 6DII) and right now I have EOS M5. It sure would be a bump in low light image quality, but then again I am spoiled by modern tech like articulated touch screen, more focus points, DPAF, wifi... so I am worrying that a 6D would feel outdated. Are you keeping the 6D just for the sake of colours or because it's still great to use? :)

Upvote 0
angrykarl said:
Sorry for a slight offtopic, but how does it feel using a 6D when do you have a 5DIV with all the latest juice? I am asking because I am thinking about getting an older 6D (they seem ridiculously cheap as everyone is moving to 6DII) and right now I have EOS M5. It sure would be a bump in image quality, but then again I am spoiled by modern tech like articulated touch screen, more focus points, DPAF, wifi... so I am worrying that a 6D would feel outdated. Are you keeping the 6D just for the sake of colours or because it's still great to use? :)

When I upgraded from the 5D3 to the 5D4, I thought I'd use the 5D3 as a backup body... and it has sat unused for nearly a year. The 7D2 gets used occasionally for the faster frame rate and for video (while using the 5D4 for stills). I can see using both the M5 and a 6D as their use cases would be different but for the same use case, the newer generation is more responsive and easier to use.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
When I upgraded from the 5D3 to the 5D4, I thought I'd use the 5D3 as a backup body... and it has sat unused for nearly a year. The 7D2 gets used occasionally for the faster frame rate and for video (while using the 5D4 for stills). I can see using both the M5 and a 6D as their use cases would be different but for the same use case, the newer generation is more responsive and easier to use.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm only considering the 6D as a second body for low light situations. The M5 is great and versatile, but the other day I was shooting at a company event in low light and it was so much pain... A better lens would help, but then again better is bigger and bigger lenses are not good on such a small body.

Upvote 0
I actually sold my 6D to afford the 5D IV, so I can only speak anecdotally. I do remember the first time I took the 5D IV out, I felt that the colours were a little flatter than what I was getting from the 6D (right out of camera and in RAW), but I did feel that I had more processing room on the 5D IV than the 6D. I distinctly remember feeling a bit disappointed in reviewing my first few shots without processing, and then that feeling immediately going away when I started processing. I was able to get the same sort of look from both cameras, but without shooting side by side it is hard to make any concrete statements on the matter.

Needless to say, the 5D IV doesn't leave me wanting, but I do miss my 6D since I've started to run into situations where a backup camera would have been an asset.

Upvote 0
amorse said:
I actually sold my 6D to afford the 5D IV, so I can only speak anecdotally. I do remember the first time I took the 5D IV out, I felt that the colours were a little flatter than what I was getting from the 6D (right out of camera and in RAW), but I did feel that I had more processing room on the 5D IV than the 6D. I distinctly remember feeling a bit disappointed in reviewing my first few shots without processing, and then that feeling immediately going away when I started processing. I was able to get the same sort of look from both cameras, but without shooting side by side it is hard to make any concrete statements on the matter.

Needless to say, the 5D IV doesn't leave me wanting, but I do miss my 6D since I've started to run into situations where a backup camera would have been an asset.

Yeah besides the colors, I also noticed this flatter look to the raw files too. I got so used to the 6d's more contrasty look, and editing the pictures a certain way, that it's just going to be an adjustment period with the new camera. The 6d has already taken a backseat and I haven't even used it since I've had the 5d4... it's that good. Just thought I'd keep it in case I wanted to go for a different look. I guess it's good to have options.

Upvote 0
angrykarl said:
Sorry for a slight offtopic, but how does it feel using a 6D when do you have a 5DIV with all the latest juice? I am asking because I am thinking about getting an older 6D (they seem ridiculously cheap as everyone is moving to 6DII) and right now I have EOS M5. It sure would be a bump in low light image quality, but then again I am spoiled by modern tech like articulated touch screen, more focus points, DPAF, wifi... so I am worrying that a 6D would feel outdated. Are you keeping the 6D just for the sake of colours or because it's still great to use? :)

Hi Karl, I'm keeping the camera for it's colors and as a backup. thanks.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Ive not upgraded to the 5D MKIV but have upgraded from the 6D to the 6D MKII (as well as owning the 5DS). I have two properties & the one in rural Devon Ive left the 6D with the EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM and the EF 17-40mm f4L USM.
The camera and these two lenses are my "B" team but they still produce great landscape shots and save me lugging a camera outfit backwards & forwards (I also keep a second Lee Filters set in the bag).

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
angrykarl said:
I think my 6d has slightly better high ISO at 6400 and above. I think the images look different due to the higher dynamic range maybe. But both are amazing and when you factor in autofocus and features the 5d IV is the winner overall

Upvote 0