Anyone Replacing their Canon 85 1.8 with the Tamron?

Due to space had to use my Canon 50 1.8 STM for a portrait session and it turned out enormously well. Shocking, in fact, for a $150 lens.
But, whenever possible, I do like that 85mm length and currently have the Canon 1.8. Hardly ever use anything under 2.8 (except for indoor sports in terribly lit gyms). The upcoming Sigma looks incredible, but I really don't need 1.4 and it looks huge. The 50-100 makes a massive amount of sense, but it's also sort of big (although not ruling it out entirely in light of probably sticking with crop).
With that, though, has anyone ever switched from the Canon 1.8 to the new Tamron 1.8 and, if so, were you glad you did?
Thanks.

JP4DESIGNZ said:
If you cannot wait for the Sigma 85 Art, get the Tamron. You'll love it!

I expect the Sigma 85 will be a little sharper than the Tammy, but if it has the same auto focus inconsistency as the other Sigma Art's, for me its a non-starter. You can live with minor auto focus misses at 35mm with wide apertures, but with 85mm f/1.4 the focus needs to be near perfect.

Tamron seems to have come up with a way to achieve pretty accurate and repeatable autofocus on Canon bodies, something Sigma stiil hasn't figured out. I expect to buy one of the Tamron 85's later this year.

Upvote 0
It seems likely that Canon will replace the venerable 85 f1.8 soon, so there may be an up to date native version to compete with the Tamron. The Tamron looks interesting, but I admire other people's tolerance of AF issues with non-native lenses. It's not something I would want to do. That said, the purple fringing with the Canon is quite spectacular under the right (wrong) condition so I'm just glad I have the 85 1.2 L II as well.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2016
I still have the Canon 85/1.8 but mainly use the Tamron 85 VC because of the VC. It's a very fine lens, good at every aperture. I have no AF issues with the Tamron 85 VC. AF is as consistent as any Canon lens that I have.

I have no AF issues with the Sigma 35 or 50 Art lenses. AF is as consistent as any Canon lens that I have.

But ... the Sigma 24 Art is somewhat inconsistent. It seems to have more focus inconsistency than my Canon lenses.

All lenses calibrated with Reikan FoCal.

Upvote 0