Appeal of Nikon Df

What do you think of the Df

• Total voters
A

AdamJ

Sporgon said:
sanj said:
And is it plastic? It looks so solid!

In fact whilst I was looking for images of the Df bare chassis I was surprised to find that the D600 / 610 is also a plastic chassis with an alloy top plate. This is cheaper construction than the 6D which is predominantly an alloy chassis with plastic top cover. ( To allow wifi, gps so they say ).

As far as I can make out, the 6D has an alloy front piece and an alloy back piece. To me, it feels like a marketing gesture - my 6D doesn't feel anything like as robust as my 7D or the 5DII I had until recently.

6D
content-capture-pic-1.png

7D
canon-7d-magnesium-body.jpg

5D MkII
108986478.fO4oTX43.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
Aglet said:
I suspect the Df is one Nikon body the price might actually drop on in a shorter time frame because of the lacklustre sales.
If it does, I'll be ready to pounce if I still have a paycheck by then.
+1 ... but only if the price goes below US$ 1500

They'd rather discontinue it and call it a limited edition :p

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Albi86 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Aglet said:
I suspect the Df is one Nikon body the price might actually drop on in a shorter time frame because of the lacklustre sales.
If it does, I'll be ready to pounce if I still have a paycheck by then.
+1 ... but only if the price goes below US$ 1500

They'd rather discontinue it and call it a limited edition :p
It is already a "limited edition" ;D ... it has no video (a very important feature for me) and yet the price is similar to Nkion's FF DLSR(s)

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
In South Africa the Nikon DF (body only) is on pre-order for R37,995 ($3,650). This doesn't make sense to me. If anything, this concept should appeal to the consumer/enthusiast market not the pro-end of the price spectrum, especially since (on paper) it doesn't seem to bring any significant innovation to the table.

I will suspend judgement until I read in-depth reviews but this is unlikely to be on my wishlist anytime soon.

Upvote 0
this one would be a huge mistake for Nikon , and it may even kill Nikon , Nikon should be more honest and sincere to its high end camera users...... remember what Nikon has done to the D600 users?
so it is hard to trust a company like Nikon.
cutting corners to make it cheap cheap does not help them , but produces many many QC issues.
Nikon should wake up and make it more solid and really works as advertised.
and Nikon obviously has too many bodies , Nikon did not need 2 identical D800 models , the D610, the D5300,etc.
just make a few very solid offerings.
and do not embarrass yourself by releasing expensive but poorly built 58mm f1.4G, 24mm f1.4G and 35mm f1.4G kind of lousy lenses, they are all worse than similar specced Zeiss , Canon and Sigma lenses.

but the DF and the 58mm kind of poorly done products announcements really helped me to get rid of all my Nikon for Sony Alpha 7.

now, I have Sony Alpha 7, NEX6, Fuji X-E2 and Canon 5D2 and 6D and I am quite happy about my decision selling all my Nikon gear for the Sony Fuji kit.
Nikon did not treat us (long time high end Nikon body uers) right with real respect when they sold many many bad copies of D800/D600 and D4, so for me no more Nikon..............and most of Nikon glass are of poor quality and imho none of G 24 - 50mm range Nikon glass are up to the D800E standard.
the 24mm f1.4G is really bad , the 35mm is soft and much less sharp than the Sigma A and the Zeiss ZF2 , and even a bit weaker optically than the venerable Canon L.
the 50mm f1.4G is a joke , the new 58mm f1.4G is an embarrassment , in fact , if we want to fully optimize the Nikon D800E , then we all need to go ZF Zeiss + Sigma 35mm f1.4 A lens route.
so , it is not worth it even if the sensor is great , the same story goes for the Df as well.
further more , Nikon stock gets really hard and many many guessing it won't be around in a few years.....

Upvote 0

grahamclarkphoto

Just a photographer who loves to travel.
sanj said:
My vote is #1

So much so that a photo of this camera is my desktop image these days.

The Nikon Df seems like it would appeal to that still shooter looking for the 35mm character. With the cost falling in the same range with the Nikon D800/800E, it definitely has a novelty price tag associated with it and without features such as an integrated GPS, WiFi or video capture, it certainly dings the future-proofness of the Nikon Df.

I think a good first place to start is to consider the following:

- 16.2MP
- No video capture
- No integrated GPS

Another interesting aspect of the Nikon Df is that the top pentaprism box is not metal alloy as the rest of the body, in-line with F-series design cues. So why not integrate GPS?

Canon employed a polycarbonate reinforced fiberglass material in the the 6D – to permit WiFi and GPS. You’d think that this would be a great opportunity for Nikon, seeing how they’re using a material that could pass GPS through to employ an integrated GPS into the Df... : (

Graham

grahamclarkphoto.com

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I just played with one a few minutes after work today.
GACK! :p
I think it was about the coolest looking body on the shelf but I really did NOT like how it felt in my hand. It certainly is lighter than something like the D800 but the D800 fits my hand comfortably while the Df feels like an unpleasantly sized box with a bit of a grip on it.
Altho I like the control wheels, I don't like how it's not easy to press the lock button and turn them, or lift the mode dial to turn it.
NOPE, the Df will not make it to my shopping list. It could have been an epic success but the design needs some minor improvements. As it is, I could buy 2 perfectly ergonomic and fun to use Olympus EM1s for that price.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
grahamclarkphoto said:
sanj said:
My vote is #1

So much so that a photo of this camera is my desktop image these days.

The Nikon Df seems like it would appeal to that still shooter looking for the 35mm character. With the cost falling in the same range with the Nikon D800/800E, it definitely has a novelty price tag associated with it and without features such as an integrated GPS, WiFi or video capture, it certainly dings the future-proofness of the Nikon Df.

I think a good first place to start is to consider the following:

- 16.2MP
- No video capture
- No integrated GPS

Another interesting aspect of the Nikon Df is that the top pentaprism box is not metal alloy as the rest of the body, in-line with F-series design cues. So why not integrate GPS?

Canon employed a polycarbonate reinforced fiberglass material in the the 6D – to permit WiFi and GPS. You’d think that this would be a great opportunity for Nikon, seeing how they’re using a material that could pass GPS through to employ an integrated GPS into the Df... : (

Graham

grahamclarkphoto.com

Different needs for different people I guess. 16.2 mp is fine for me for this camera, my needs are high ISO.
I do not shoot video and do not need GPS.

Btw love your photos on your website. :)

Upvote 0