Votes: 0 0.0%
  • applaud someone that provides good technical info

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • smite someone who belittles others

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • applaud someone that makes a good point

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
Would it at all be possible to just remove the negative and keep the positive?

This way people that contribute can be seen as the ones with the better rep/karma.

There is not stigma of negative attached to them then.

Then if someone doesn't like someone they can just use the "ignore" feature* in the forum instead of smiting every post they make etc.

[size=14pt]*= yes i know this is the way it should be but lets face it people can be lazy and its easier to smite than to go through the rigmarole of setting up ignoring.[/size]

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
I think applauding and smiting each have their place but the smiting is probably abused. Totally agree with everyone who said smiting should not be used simply because you disagree with someone or even think they're just plain wrong on a point. I have smited a couple times for what I see as a personal attack against me or even against another and I have written a reply stating my view and indicated -1 right in my comment, if I'm going to smite someone I have no problem announcing it.

Personally, I think I'm quite thin skinned and it bothers me when I get smited when I believe I've only attempted to make helpful contributions but clearly the smiter didn't think so and they are entitled to their opinion. I may have been smited a few times for opening a technical can of worms which, ok, maybe I deserved it :p

Upvote 0
J

Jettatore

Closed mindedness, not being able to ever admit when you are wrong or when the other person might have some valid points even if you don't fully agree, and in general just acting like a child when someone doesn't unanimously agree with you all are deserving of smites. I give out props to people who share information/teaching/skills of the trade, etc.. or just when I see someone do something kind/cool. I smite when people defend marketing decisions because our system is corrupt enough as it is and there is no way to honestly defend 'planned obsolescence'. I don't smite because of the person ever, I smite based only on the post itself and only the specific post in question, but I suspect there are a lot of people on here that are much more petty than that and carry on personal grudges. There's also a lot of cool people on here who have not just taught me a thing or two, but have shown me when I was wrong and didn't make me feel awful for it, or those who I have seen been able to admit when they learned something and didn't throw a fit like a sitcom character.

Upvote 0
Last time I checked this was just a forum, do we have to be always so seriously pompous about our self?
Smite/ applaud is nothing more than just a bit of innocent fun, tiny bit of "power" and it should be up to everyone discretion how they are used.

Sanitizing everything really will make life boring, and internet will lose most important appeal: freedom, spontaneity and independence.

Cheers, and keep smiting and applauding while you still can!
:)

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Sunnystate said:
... is nothing more than just a bit of innocent fun, tiny bit of "power"...

Funny, that sounds almost exactly like the response from the teacher in yesterday's news who wrote "stupid" in permanent marker on a student's forehead.

Yes, it's a forum, and no, people should not take it too seriously. But the reality is that some people do place value/self worth in their on-line reputations, and even that "tiny bit of power" comes with responsibility. Do you choose to do good, or do harm? And IMHO "innocent fun" never involves insulting, tearing down, or belittling someone else.

Or even better, do you take responsibilities for your actions? I love Meh's approach--if you applaud or smite, post it and own up to it. I'm definitely adopting that approach from now on. +1 for Meh!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It's all a bit infantile, isn't it?

It's like any tool. In infantile hands, it is infantile. In mature hands, it's a useful and helpful tool.

Use it to help monitor and manage your online reputation.

If you have either a small number of both applauds and smites, or a small number of posts, don't worry about it. The sample size is too small to mean anything and likely to be skewed by a single unfortunate post or a small number of "smite-ers."

If you've got a fair number of smites and applauds, say an aggregate total of 50-100, look at the ratio and use it to gauge your reputation. It's like a political candidate's approval rating. At a minimum, you want to be in the positive numbers. Ideally, you might get around a 3-2 or even a 5-3 ratio of applauds to smites. If so, you know you have a pretty decent reputation on the forum.

If you are underwater or at about 50/50, you might want to reflect on your posts. Ask yourself if you are being rude or dismissive to others, are you posting reasoned opinions or solid information? Or, are you making a lot of "drive-by" comments that are either uninformed or denigrate others?

The sample is non-scientific, but the larger the sample size the more accurate the rating is likely to be. I would say that anyone who has a few hundred posts and an aggregate of applauds and smites that exceeds 50 or so can get a pretty good idea how others on the forum feel about him or her. Some people may not care and may even take pride that they are unpopular, but I assume most people want to maintain a good reputation among a group of people that in some ways is a peer group.

Okay, so for me personally, who do I smite and who do I applaud?

I applaud people who are helpful when I ask a question (that's just common courtesy).

I applaud people who offer unsolicited tips that I find helpful or who seem to go out of their way to help newcomers.

I applaud people who offer reasoned, well-thought out arguments, especially if they are espousing an opinion that is contrary to conventional wisdom.

I am much more generous with newcomers than with old hands, especially if the newcomer is generating undeserved smites.

I smite people who are rude or dismissive to others, even if they are technically correct. There is too much internet bullying and it's my way of sending them a message.

I smite people who express ridiculous opinions solely for the purpose of stirring things up and causing problems.

I smite obvious trolls.

I am more harsh on those who post a lot, because they should know better and, especially, if their incessant posting is aimed at stifling or demeaning newer participants.

"These are may principles and if you don't like them, I have others."– Groucho Marx

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
It's all a bit infantile, isn't it?

It's like any tool. In infantile hands, it is infantile. In mature hands, it's a useful and helpful tool.

I don't think it's useful at all. Surely we're all grown up and intelligent enough to guage which posters are worth reading and which aren't. And, most of us should be able to take a hint when others object to our own views and shouldn't need some arbitrary ranking system to give us false feedback.

I collected 6 or 7 smites for linking to the "throw my 7D in the dustbin" video. I didn't make the video, I didn't say that I agreed with the video, I only found it amusing and somewhat informative. Yet, here my reputation is -"under water" because of that one link.

The karma system has become something akin to that famous sociological experiment whereby the university students kept giving electric shocks to their peers. There's no repercussion for being mean, so one can push the button capriciously and maliciously without damaging his or her own reputation. One person with an axe to grind can smite another poster once every two hours. Under this system- ONE troll could destroy one legitimate reputation in 2 or 3 days.

And that's useful?

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
If you've got a fair number of smites and applauds, say an aggregate total of 50-100, look at the ratio and use it to gauge your reputation. It's like a political candidate's approval rating. At a minimum, you want to be in the positive numbers. Ideally, you might get around a 3-2 or even a 5-3 ratio of applauds to smites. If so, you know you have a pretty decent reputation on the forum.

If you are underwater or at about 50/50, you might want to reflect on your posts. Ask yourself if you are being rude or dismissive to others, are you posting reasoned opinions or solid information? Or, are you making a lot of "drive-by" comments that are either uninformed or denigrate others?

It's of limited use as a source of constructive feedback for two reasons -- one is that the feedback is not tied to a specific post, so it's not always clear where the "bad karma" came from.

It's also of dubious value because it's not representative. For example, someone could write hundreds of constructive posts, and then blow a chunk of it on a single post.

The sample is non-scientific, but the larger the sample size the more accurate the rating is likely to be.

One problem is that you it is user responses that are being independently sampled, not the users posts. If all of the feedback for a given user comes from 1% of their posts, that feedback isn't representative of the other 99% of their comments. Large sample size can still lead to bad results if the sampling is biased.

I would say that anyone who has a few hundred posts and an aggregate of applauds and smites that exceeds 50 or so can get a pretty good idea how others on the forum feel about him or her.

The admin scaleusa is running at +33/-107 at the time of writing based on 598 posts, yet I believe that he is in good standing here.

Because a single post can draw enough feedback to move ones numbers substantially, the karma number (especially the negative one) is probably not even terribly predictive of its own future values.

It is even less predictive of the information that one might like to gain from it, such as, what is the probability that this poster writes something useful ? Someone could post 99 helpful posts (worth a cumulative 10 or so karma points) and 1 post that is a bit controversial (worth about -20 in karma). If you took the +10/-20 out of 100 posts at face value, you'd reach the wrong conclusion.

Upvote 0
wellfedCanuck said:
One person with an axe to grind can smite another poster once every two hours.

Tried it have you? ;D

Joking aside, I don't think I've ever used the "Smite" button. If someone posts a comment that I disagree with, either I think their point is worthy of a reply, or I ignore it. On the other hand, I frequently use the applaud button instead of a "+1" post, in order to spare others having to read through long message chains.

Trolls are best simply ignored as they feed on any kind of feedback!

P.S. If it's workable within the current set-up, I like the idea of linking karma to posts rather than members to provide genuine people with better feedback.

Upvote 0
I am more of a positive person, so will more likely applaud rather than smite.

The only posts/people I have smited, and there have only been a few, have been those that seemed, bitter, disrespectful or abusive.

I like the fact that people will have differing opinions, as their should be, because as technical as photography is, it is also an art. I remember when I was first learning and hearing about "correct exposure" one of the next comment was about personal preference and whether it over or under exposing made the image "better"

I am just happy to discuss with passionate people so that I can not only learn but share.

Upvote 0
I didn't smite you for expressing your opinion.

I smote you for spilling gravy on the table cloth!!

See -- you never know!

Ryusui said:
wellfedCanuck said:
Harley said:
I just gave each of you a +1.

Thanks, but I also collected 2 more smites for expressing that opinion. :(
Unfortunately, you'll never know if it was actually for that, or any of the other 53 posts you have.

Upvote 0