Votes: 62 32.0%
  • No, unless it exceeds what is expected

Votes: 47 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PureClassA said:
Also see a lot of folks discussing focusing issues with 7D. I can't say I've noticed any more or less problems there myself. Granted it doesn't have the nuclear powered laser guided focus of a 1DX, but nothing else does. What is the general problem with it? Is it tracking action in Servo? Stills? Portraiture? I've shot college football games with that and the 70-200 IS MkII and the 2.0 Extender MkII. It's not perfect but it's far from what I'd consider problematic.

I almost exclusively use center-point spot AF with back-button focus and recompose (unless the subject is close, in which case I will move to one
of the other focus points to avoid parallax error). I've often been frustrated by my 7D's unreliable AF. Doing portraits, I'll spot focus
on an eye, then later in Lightroom, I'll find that a whole series is just a bit soft. It's as if the 7D decided that "well,..this is close enough..."
In critical situations, I've gotten in the habit of shooting a short burst, defocusing, AF again, shoot another burst, etc. to give the 7D a
few tries to get it right. Needless to say, this isn't always practical and it is very frustrating to get a great shot...except just too soft for anything beyond 4x6. MFA hasn't helped.

My only other issue is that I can't get quality images above ISO 1600. I shoot a lot of high school sports and I start packing up when the sun goes down. 1600 isn't enough under stadium lights. I can get images at higher ISOs, but they just look like crap compared to daylight images.

I've been thinking about a move to full-frame for a long time. When the 5D II came out, I was disappointed by the poor AF and low frame rate. I waited another year, then jumped on the 7D, which was a big improvement from my 30D. Now 5 years later, an upgrade is overdue and I was hoping for better AF and maybe 2 stops higher ISO. Based on the specs, I'm wondering if I should just get a 5D III. I hate to start with 2.5-year-old technology, but it may be good enough and the 5D IV is probably a year or more away. The 7DII doesn't look like it will be a big enough improvement in ISO after 5 years---at least for my needs.

Upvote 0
Probably get one when the price drops. I pre ordered my 5D3, and I love it. No way I'll upgrade that one next time around. The only problems I have with my 7D are the low light performance, the autofocus isn't as good, and for the few times I use video, I want auto focus follow.

Because we don't really know about the sensor, I can't comment on that, but I don't want a new battery. The current batteries work great, and I have a bunch of them. I really hope that the chargers will at least remain the same, so I don't have to bring another charger with when traveling.

Upvote 0
weixing said:
Hi,
I use my DSLR mainly for birding and now using 6D with Tamron 150-600mm. I feel the center point AI Servo AF of 6D is slow, but I'm not sure whether is it the 6D center point AF is slow. If 7D2 AI Servo AF is faster, more accurate and more reliable, most likely I'll sell my 6D and get a 7D2 (unless the 7D2 is as expensive as a 5D3).

Have a nice day.

Have you tried the firmware update on the Tammy? I've not, but I think that may resolve a lot of your problems. I'll be sending mine in soon!

I have used the 5dmkiii and the 70d on the 150-600. Results on the 70d are rather disappointing. Part of the issue is that it just looks like crapola once you go above ISO 1600. Anything higher than that, I'm much better off going to my 5d and cropping.

So the 70d has prettymuch collected dust as I bought it for birding, but I need greater than 300-400mm still, so it wasn't exactly the perfect combo with the Tammy I thought it would be. It does look great on the 70-300L however, but I still don't have the reach I want.

I'll only buy the 7dmkii if there is a substantial increase in quality (iso3200 useable images). Otherwise, I may just ditch the crop frame all together, and bite the bullet on a used 500F4 and use on the 5dmkiii.

Upvote 0
For all the discussion . . . almost half of the voters above seem pre-disposed towards the possibility of buying the camera with another quarter willing to look at it if it exceeds whatever expectations they had at the time of voting.

It doesn't prove anything of course for a host of reasons but it does offer a glimmer of hope for Canon's beleaguered marketing team who must be exhausted trying to sell all these inferior products ;).

Upvote 0
Hi,
markesc said:
weixing said:
Hi,
I use my DSLR mainly for birding and now using 6D with Tamron 150-600mm. I feel the center point AI Servo AF of 6D is slow, but I'm not sure whether is it the 6D center point AF is slow. If 7D2 AI Servo AF is faster, more accurate and more reliable, most likely I'll sell my 6D and get a 7D2 (unless the 7D2 is as expensive as a 5D3).

Have a nice day.

Have you tried the firmware update on the Tammy? I've not, but I think that may resolve a lot of your problems. I'll be sending mine in soon!

I have used the 5dmkiii and the 70d on the 150-600. Results on the 70d are rather disappointing. Part of the issue is that it just looks like crapola once you go above ISO 1600. Anything higher than that, I'm much better off going to my 5d and cropping.

So the 70d has prettymuch collected dust as I bought it for birding, but I need greater than 300-400mm still, so it wasn't exactly the perfect combo with the Tammy I thought it would be. It does look great on the 70-300L however, but I still don't have the reach I want.

I'll only buy the 7dmkii if there is a substantial increase in quality (iso3200 useable images). Otherwise, I may just ditch the crop frame all together, and bite the bullet on a used 500F4 and use on the 5dmkiii.
Not yet, but is there a new firmware??

Compare 6D with my 60D center point AF, the 60D center point AF is more accurate on small subject... I think may be because the subject is bigger in the 60D AF sensor. Also, base on my observation, if I scale down the 60D image by 1.6x, the 60D IQ is around the same as the 6D IQ up to ISO 3200, 6D IQ is still better than the 60D scale down image when ISO is above 6400. So if 7D2 AF is much better, I'll consider the switch... basically trade IQ with better AF.

Anyway, will try out various settings and ways to improve my focus accuracy... if can overcome the problem, I'll keep my 6D as I like it very much especially with the 40mm pancake on it.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Very much a maybe here.

After a second or upgraded cam for macro, with occasional other applications, to go with my 70D. Like the focal length offered by my 100mm and other lenses on crop for my purposes. Looking for a bigger viewfinder and more rugged build (givens) but hopefully interchangeable focus screens and a boost in IQ. Price hopefully not astronomical.

If the 7D ii doesn't seem right for me then I might just settle for a 2nd 70D, a 7D or, less likely, a 6D.

Upvote 0
U

ULFULFSEN

i could buy a 7D for 650 euro at the moment here in europe.

the question is if the MK2 is really 2-3x worth that when the rumors are correct.

2 MP more, basically 7D image quality (guessed from past experience), better AF, a bit faster.

im sure some pro photogs will like it.
but for the amateurs? is this evolution worth the rumored ~2000$ ?

i wonder if for most it would not better to buy a 7D and spend the rest for glass.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
ULFULFSEN said:
i wonder if for most it would not better to buy a 7D and spend the rest for glass.

To me, that's not even the question. It's whether or not the body build, performance and features are worth it over the 70D, not the 7D. I don't use my camera to drive railroad spikes, so the body build isn't worth it to me. The 70D feels good and solid, and has a lot of nice features that I could makes use of on occasion, including WiFi, tilt-swivel LCD (useful for video and when my camera is on my telescope), and the touch screen.

The 7D replacement announcement and follow-on testing will most likely dictate whether I buy it, or a 70D to replace my aging 20D.

Upvote 0